Problem fitting Wing Gear Trunk Lid Organizer

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
zeoran
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500A, 2002 Honda ST1100, 1982 Honda Interstate (sold)

Problem fitting Wing Gear Trunk Lid Organizer

Post by zeoran »

Based on recommendations in posts on this site and others, I bought the Wing Gear C0590 trunk lid organizer (https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... anizer/932) but it doesn't seem to properly fit my 1999 Aspy. I can get one of the holes to line up, but then the other 3 don't. The two at the bottom that you use the screws that came with it are on that tethered piece, so they're flexible. The organizer itself is fairly rigid. I tried bending it a bit to get it to line up, but when I put one of the screws back in to then try and hold it in place, it popped the screw back out. The instructions say to just remove the 6 screws, slide the tabs inside the top part of the lid, underneath the main tabs, then screw in 4 of the original screws and then screw the 2 new screws in the loop parts and boom, done. But with the alignment being so far off, it's just not working for me. The picture that came with the instructions is of a GL1800 but the main sheet and part number are confirmed to be for the GL1500.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Problem fitting Wing Gear Trunk Lid Organizer

Post by Fiberthree »

Here are some photos of my '99 SE for reference. I remember it wasn't easy getting some screws in and I see one of mine has popped out. But it is a taut fit.
Attachments

Bottom left
Bottom left

Bottom Right
Bottom Right

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree »

I've sent you a Private Message.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

Really like this organizer and remember it was a bit fiddly to install. What worked for me was to put in the screws pretty loosely when lining everything up. Then I gradually tightened things up working from the center on out. After I did that the install seemed to go much better. Good luck with it. :)
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)

Post by jbaviera »

I have the same one. Had to install the center 2 screws first, but I kind of left them loose at first. I also bought the saddle bag liners as well. Talk about a pain to install :evil:
Because the studs for the reflectors aren't very long, the acorn nuts wouldn't go back on. Had to buy some brass feral nuts, and turn them on my lathe with a file so they recessed into the grommets.

Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!