Starter run on? Yes again

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
NDAna
Motorcycle: Maybe a 93 'cade

Starter run on? Yes again

Post by NDAna » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:46 pm

Just purchased an '00 SE. Starter runs on and the main (starter) relay has been replaced. The starter switch has also been replaced. Starter still runs. Anyone have same problem? A fix? I've not started work on it yet. If some one has good place for a start................ :D

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Starter run on? Yes again

Post by CrystalPistol » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:37 pm

1990-2000 GL-1500s There are two starter relays, there is A and it feeds B both activation and starter current. If B sticks, it still can't run starter until A kicks in. I added red to clarify, you can see that unless A is activated, B can't run the starter as it has no power on either side.

If your starter is stuck running, look at a sticking push button or Relay A.

What you're likely seeing is from Starter Relay A located just forward of the battery (look behind the top of that large dogbone fuse container to the right of the battery). There SHOULD NOT be any continuity between the two large posts, unless you're trying to start the bike. When this Starter Relay A kicks in or sticks, it will automatically energize the other relay (Starter Relay B) cranking the starter. Disconnecting the snap-in connector off of this relay (Starter Relay A) will ensure that the "Start/Reverse" button is not causing the relay to pull-in and crank your bike This is a red connector into a green plug on the solenoid...

NOTE … BOTH of these starter Relays (both Relay A & Relay B) need to be pulled-in (or failed "self welded" Relay A and a kicked in Relay B) for the starter to receive battery power to crank the bike.

Though not the trouble with a run-on starter, Starter Relay B on your '00 will be forward of the frame member forward of the battery on the bottom rail of the frame. (below and rearward from the oil fill hole). The larger connectors should have no continuity with no switching signal applied. If you trace the circuits, Relay B alone can not result in a run on starter.

The location of the two solenoids and the starter itself are different for the first-few years of production on the GL1500 -- (the '88 & '89 use a 2-post starter) where 1990 & up uses a single post starter with the solenoids BOTH in series on the positive battery / starter cable. If you're web-searching, be sure that you're looking at information for a GL1500 in the '90s up!

You mention replacing the Relay. Did you replace just one and if so, which one? If you only replaced Relay B, even if perfect, if Relay A is "self welded" closed, it activates even a good Relay B and the starter runs on.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

NDAna

Post by NDAna » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:48 am

Thanks for the info
Charged battery
hooked up + cable (neg already hooked)
NO RUN ON! YES!!!
Pushed starter button. DAMNIT- something let the smoke out. And the location is BURIED- no idea what it was
Appears I have to take the whole bike apart to get to the location under the fuel tank
Luck may be needed.
Moving the wing to the back burner for a bit as I have a Cavalcade I have to get a bunch of work done on.
At least I'm retired and now we have to stay home anyway
Luck will be needed!

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:10 pm

NDAna wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:48 am
Thanks for the info
Charged battery
hooked up + cable (neg already hooked)
NO RUN ON! YES!!!
Pushed starter button. DAMNIT- something let the smoke out. And the location is BURIED- no idea what it was
Appears I have to take the whole bike apart to get to the location under the fuel tank
Luck may be needed.
Moving the wing to the back burner for a bit as I have a Cavalcade I have to get a bunch of work done on.
At least I'm retired and now we have to stay home anyway
Luck will be needed!
Relay A is right near beside the battery, there to the front of bike from the long main fuse holder there to the right towards front of bike from battery where you were connecting the pos (+) cable.

Relay B is on the frame rail, near the brake lever, below oil fill.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

NDAna

Post by NDAna » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks- aware of that. The smoke came from what feels like burned wiring. Cannot see- only feel. to the right of the battery behind frame rails. Will buy some inspection mirrors - may help me see what it is.