Radio lens replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
kwcran
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Interstate

Radio lens replacement

Post by kwcran » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:19 pm

I am spending time messing with what I can on my 1993. I wanted to sell it and get an 1800, so I was going to get it ready to move. However, the more I do, the more I like it. She doesn't eat much, so I just may keep her for one more season.
I just replaced the dash lights with LEDs and they look great! I wish I had a before and after.
I added a power outlet to charge my phone. Turns out the aux jack (which did not work with my phone) just was not going into the output all the way. I got an extension cord from Amazon, now I can make calls and listen to music.
I replaced the front speakers and took the rear wiring from a parts bike and added speakers. It is crazy loud now!
The CB was not working and I found one on Ebay for $50. Now I can finally talk to my riding buddies.
Snagged the wired front side marker lights from a parts bike. Why are the chrome grills for them so expensive? I'm concerned about loosing the black plastic trim pieces and thought screwed on chrome ones would be better.
Just finished this repair and I can finally see the LCD screen. What a difference! I got a parts bike with a broken windshield. It was the same thickness as the lens. I cut it out and patiently filed until it fit. It was slightly twisted so I put it in the oven for 5 minutes and it got soft and flattened out. Epoxied it in and it is good.
Before:

After:

Removed lens:

It is an Interstate with high miles 91K, but it is good fun to tinker.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: Radio lens replacement

Post by Charlie1Horse » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:20 pm

That looks real good. I had the same problem with my 92 Interstate and took it apart and refinished it like you refinish yellowing, oxidized headlights so, it looks pretty much as yours does. I have had my 92 for about 7 years now and really like it. In my opinion the 1500s have more 'personality' than the 1800s so now, I am looking for a 2000 Aspencade. Same color as my interstate but, I really want cruise control, reverse, onboard air compressor, etc. Mine has 130,000 miles and still looks and rides nice.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.