Intermittent Cruise Control

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
zeoran
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500A, 2002 Honda ST1100, 1982 Honda Interstate (sold)

Intermittent Cruise Control

Post by zeoran » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:48 am

The cruise control on my 99 Aspy is intermittent at best. The on/off switch tends to be temperamental but I also tend to leave it "on". The only times I've even touched that switch is when the cruise control won't engage. There are times when I start the bike, get on the highway, hit the 'set' button and it works perfectly. Then there are times (like this morning) when I press it and it does nothing. The Cruise control is on, the light is on, but it won't 'set' to save its life. Then there are times when it won't set at first but if I press it a few times or fiddle with the on/off switch and disengage/engage the on/off button it eventually works afterwards.

Do I just need to tear the unit apart and clean the buttons or is there something else I need to consider? I figured I needed to clean the on/off switch to get it work properly but why isn't the 'set' function working consistently if the cruise control is already set in the 'on' position?

Stay safe and God bless,

~Mark

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Intermittent Cruise Control

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:20 am

It is best to just leave the 'ON' switch in the 'ON' position.
there is absolutely no good reason to turn it 'OFF' period.

Most likely, your problem with the Cruise staying activated will be a sloppy bearing in the Clutch lever, cheap, Honda still sources them. If the handle does not properly stay in place, it will not activate the Cruise switch. The fit there is very close.

The same goes for the front brake lever handle, the little bronze bushing is most likely worn and needs to be replaced, same as the one on the clutch lever.

and last, the foot brake pedal Stop Light switch, it that gets jostled the slightest bit, the brake light flashes 'ON' and the CC will drop out.

Not expensive to fix, I would just order up two of the bronze bushings and replace them immediately. Verify the foot brake pedal is lifting all the way up and not touching the switch.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

zeoran
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500A, 2002 Honda ST1100, 1982 Honda Interstate (sold)

Post by zeoran » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:59 am

At first I didn't grasp what you were referring to, but you're talking about some kind of sensor/switch that detects movement on the clutch/brake levers that deactivates the cruise. I've used the front brake lever to disable the cruise before, but would a bad sensor/thing stop it from activating to begin with? It's always happening at highway speeds when my hands aren't on either of the two levers. Next time it happens, I'll jostle the levers though and see if it makes a difference. Do you happen to know the part number of the bushing you're referring to?

God bless,

~Mark

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:11 pm

Instead of jostling the levers, give them a gentle push forward.

They have switches as opposed to sensors. Push the either lever forward then slowly pull it back. You should hear two clicks. One is for CC cancel and the other is for the brake light or starter circuit enable (clutch side). Look underneath the levers and you see a tab that extends down. This tab is what pushes on the switches and you with the levers fully retracted can see the switch buttons sticking out. Usually aftermarket levers give more trouble than stock levers. These switches are not adjustable.

As AZ1800 said, the brass bushings do get worn and are an inexpensive repair. It does requires some caution as you will be playing with the pushrods for the master cylinders. I have seen some worn enough that that the levers needed to be replaced as well.

Since the CC works some time you can perhaps delay replacing the bushings just by pushing the levers forward every time after getting to fifth gear. You could also due a temporary fix by gluing or taping a shim to the switch tab on the lever.

Here's the details: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12622
2018 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:37 pm

Look under the levers, there are 2 MicroSwitches there.

Aftermarket levers go in the trash, they are junk.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:28 pm

zeoran wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:48 am
The cruise control on my 99 Aspy is intermittent at best. The on/off switch tends to be temperamental but I also tend to leave it "on". The only times I've even touched that switch is when the cruise control won't engage. There are times when I start the bike, get on the highway, hit the 'set' button and it works perfectly. Then there are times (like this morning) when I press it and it does nothing. The Cruise control is on, the light is on, but it won't 'set' to save its life. Then there are times when it won't set at first but if I press it a few times or fiddle with the on/off switch and disengage/engage the on/off button it eventually works afterwards.
Stay safe and God bless,~Mark
A common symptom which most times can be traced back to the cruise buttons. The cruise system needs to have a good voltage signal and current carrying ability through the ON/OFF and SET/RESUME switches. A good cleaning and removal of corrosion from contacts more often than not cures this problem. Just because the bulb lights does not mean all is perfect. If your set button is on and cruise does not engage lever switches aint it.

Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do