Painting the 1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Painting the 1500

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Decided to start a new thread specifically about the painting of the 1500, repairs, prepping, painting and final product. Looked at the bike yesterday to determine how items come apart. have a good handle on this.

The paint project will be done in stages.

1. First will be prep and repairs to cracks and other items. Have to address the crack issues or a reasonable/good paint job will be marred.
2. Determining what pieces need to have the backside painted as well. This side piece has paint flaking from the edge, best to fix before doing the front:

Side panel edge needing painting - Side Panel Original Emblem Holes
3. Side Panels, lower front panels, front lower cover (behind front wheel), Mirrors, Fairing trim, and front fairing.
4. Trunk, saddlebags, rear outer fender
5. Plastic trim pieces - front/rear (new colour closer to the original dark blue will be applied)

Had most of these pieces off over the last three weeks or so, cleaned before installed. Should be a lot faster to get to the paint phase because of this.

Started today to prep the bike. Took the chrome trim off the rear of the bike:

Chrome trim on
Chrome trim on

Chrome trim off
Chrome trim off

The trunk rack will stay on for the next day or so just in case I go for a ride, keeps water out.

Took off the passenger chrome kick plates:

Backside of first kick plate:

I have mentioned in another thread that I'm not a fan of chrome, and having removed these chrome pieces and cleaned the areas, rather like the look. To take these plates off used fishing line and heated the area with a heat gun just enough to warm the area. These plates are kept on with round stick pads as shown above. The round stick pads adhere very well. The right side was the first removal and the glue on the pads took off the clear coat as well:

I attribute this to putting the plate on too soon after painting the panel. Know the panel was painted because the original Goldwing emblems were removed, holes filled, and I could see sandpaper scratch marks in the finish. Can see the emblem holes on the backside:

My intention is to replace the original Goldwing emblems, and replace the chrome pieces with a suitable replacement such as a vinyl, wrap, or a ceramic product.

I took my time to minimize any damage that I might do, but there is paint damage regardless:

There is damage to the chrome trim and I will be looking into a possible replacement. May have to leave alone and accept what is there - not the end of the world.

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Re: Painting the 1500

Post by Rednaxs60 »

There are only three emblems to be concerned with. The 20th anniversary logo on the trunk, SE (Special Edition) on left saddlebag, and HONDA on the right saddlebag:

To take the SE and HONDA emblems off I used Goof Off to loosen the glue and warmed the emblems with the heat gun:

Goof Off works very well, highly recommended. The 20th anniversary logo will come off when I take the trunk apart. It is held on with glue and a small rivet attached.

I did a small repair to the left saddlebag lower corner. The screw hole was damaged:

I used a hacksaw and gingerly removed the damaged end piece. I used a hole saw to make a new end piece:

Using ABS glue I replaced the end piece:

I will let it set and cure overnight before I install this corner piece.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Have a lot of cracks in the top coat to fix. Thinking I'll use a dremel tool, "V" the cracks and fill with ABS cement. If the cracks aren't fixed will show through the new paint job. Here are a few of the cracks that need to be fixed:

Will be going over the plastics and making a list.

Thinking about the panel edges that need to be sanded and painted, especially on the backside of the panel:

Thinking that I'll sand the edge both sides, clean - degrease, spray adhesive promoter, prime and paint with a gray paint - spray can. Just do the edges properly, then I can prep the good side and paint - won't be using the good stuff for the backside.

Nice sunny day today, so back into the garage and do more prep work.

Ernest

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

You might want to adhere a piece of ABS under where those bolts go through the trunk lid to hold that luggage rack on. That will give it a lot more support and resistance to cracking in the future.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

Thats a good suggestion. When I did mine I used Rudys ABS under and some really big chrome washers from Cyclemax. So far so good. :)
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

bellboy40 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:03 pm
You might want to adhere a piece of ABS under where those bolts go through the trunk lid to hold that luggage rack on. That will give it a lot more support and resistance to cracking in the future.
You can see how I did this on my 1500 here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=690

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Thanks for the info. One of the PO did see a problem and glued 1/8 inch pieces of ABS to the rear mounts:

Should have done it to the front area as well. I think I will reinforce this area using 1/8 inch ABS.

It was a good day. Had a plan regarding what would be done when; however, started and didn't stop. I will mention that you really have to want to do this project, there are a lot of parts to take off and disassemble. Started around 1000 this morning and finished around 1900 (7:00 PM).

Sanded the two side panels because of the surface damage from the removal of the chrome kick plates. Like the result. Carried on and removed the side mirrors:

Had to theorize how to take apart. The mirror plate has to be removed first. This is where a heat gun is your friend, softens the rubber holding the mirror in place:

Tried gently without using heat, but not getting anywhere, so heat gun to the rescue. Be careful when prying the glass out as it will chip. This is the disassembled version:

Hadn't planned on taking the bike apart and every part as well:

Bike is quite dirty, a little cleaning may be in oreder as well. Parts all over the place, will organize better tomorrow:

Will be spending the next three days, cleaning, repairing any issues, prepping for painting. The front fairing will still be the last item to be painted. Picking up the paint tomorrow. Project is progressing well. Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Picked up the paint and supplies this morning. Took one of the panels I had already prepped and it was mentioned that there were some dips where I had to sand a bit more than the rest of the panel:

The spots that are sanded below the clear coat are spots where the adhesive pads from the chrome kick plates were attached to the panel. These spots are the ones that need to be filled a bit to smooth out the surface. Will be using a Dupli-Color white sandable primer to fill these spots:

The other parts with blisters may require a bit of this as well. The Clear coat spray can by SEM in the photo is to protect the repaint of the blue plastics. Had a colour mixed that was much closer to the original, an acrylic water based colour that will need to be protected hence the clear coat spray. Time to head to the garage, clean up and start organizing the parts for prep work.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Another good day. Going to let the ABS repairs sit for a couple of days. Have some little ones attended to. One of the securing holes for the side chrome was quite cracked:

Used the dremel and sanded a larger area and applied ABS cement:

Thinking that it might be good to not only reinforce the area under the trunk rack, but the chrome trim screw holes as well. Going to go to the local fastener shop and ask what they have for shoulder bolts. If I can get some that will suit, I will add 1/8 inch thick ABS washers (will use hole saw to make) to the inside of the saddlebag and saddlebag lids.

The lower front panel has a dowel in the corner to locate the lower front cowling:

This is the fix for the missing locating dowel. Drilled out the location, threaded in a screw and cut the head off the screw. Should work a treat.

Installed a USB connection in the rear left pocket, but cut too large a hole. This has bothered me for a while considering I did something stupid; however, decided to remedy this. Cut a round ABS piece to fit and have glued it in place. Once the ABS cement sets up will be able to drill the proper size hole:

Had to go out and get some finishing putty. Don't have a lot of area to cover, hopefully one tube will do:

Getting at the little items is time consuming, but need to be done.

Have the saddlebags and trunk to look at tomorrow, then clean, sand, fill in the low points with finishing putty. Hopefully painting this weekend coming.

Looked at the cost of the project so far. Tools, supplies such as paint is running me about $750.00 CDN to date. Not bad for what I hope to be a good product. The tools will be with me for a long time. More to follow.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Had to do a run into my fastener place to determine if some shoulder screws, washers and such were available. Some were, but more research has to be done. Also picked up my early b'day present. Another spray gun, yes I know, overkill, but not spending money on restaurants and such so I can buy a couple of new tools. The Devilbiss FLG4, that has anodized internal passages that makes it a good gun for water based products. Will definitely be testing this one this weekend.

Now that my tool collection is finished, on with fixing, sanding, cleaning and getting to painting.

Took one of my panels in with an ABS repair and discussed the way ahead. I thought I knew the answer before I asked, and what we discussed made sense. With all the ABS repairs, I will be sanding the ABS repair, using adhesion promoter on the repair area and cover with the primer, probably two coats. Will fill with the finishing putty, sand and then do final preps for painting. The reason for all this is to ensure a good bond between all the different layers. The adhesion promoter ensure the coats of primer will adhere well, and the primer will ensure the finishing putty does as well. At this point it's into final prep and painting.

Been agonizing over the chrome strip trim on the saddlebags, outer wheel fender:

This picture shows the trim as it wraps around the back of the bike. This 1/2 inch trim is held on with double sided tape. My initial thoughts were to tape the trim, but the trim is installed such that it is not easy in places to wrap any tape around the edges. Pondered over night and I think the best way to proceed is to remove this trim using heat - diligently, working with ABS - and fishing line. Also looking at a refresh of the chrome look. Lots of good products on the market that will accomplish this aim. Once the parts are painted be able to install with new 3M double sided tape of the same thickness.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Talked to my brother this morning and discussed the front fairing. Two choices, leave on or remove. I know I've mentioned leaving it on, but have to be extremely certain that all is masked off well, having to deal with securing bolts and such, as well as being a contortionist to get at some of the surfaces - I'll be taking it off.

Thought about saying the H#@! with it, and just put everything back together; however, I have sanded quite a few of the parts so, like Cortes in the new world, this ship's been burnt - no turning back. Motivation or what!! 8-) 8-)

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Another good day and one closer to getting to painting. Fixing blemishes, sanding, removing parts from the rear bags and truck - always something more to take off. Got the plastic chrome trim off the saddlebags and rear parts. Started by using the fishing wire with a bit of heat. Was taking forever. Came in and looked on the internet - lots of suitable alternatives. With this knowledge decided to not be so gentle. Used a screw driver to slide under the chrome trim:

All trim removed quite quickly and with no damage, can reuse. Found 15 mm by 3 metres for approx $10.00 delivered - can't hurt to buy new at that price. Don't intend to install this trim for a while. Letting the new paint cure and harden well before any adhesive gets stuck to the new paint.

Been sanding and when I have sanded to the base ABS, I have used adhesion promoter and sprayed with 2 coats of sandable primer in prep for final sanding - very light sand - before painting. Tomorrow and Saturday will be finishing painting prep. Hope to do the blue trim on Sunday. Next week looks good for painting, let the parts sit for a week to cure and harden. Clean the bike while this is going on. Cleanest this bike will have been since it came out of the factory, may be the last time as well.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Another full day. Got started around 0930. Took the front fairing off - a lot lighter than the one on the 1200, now have a naked GW:

Parked the bike out around the side of the house, a lot lighter to move around. It'll be there until about Wednesday.

Spent the rest of the day sanding and prepping parts starting with those that have been sanded through the gel coat to the ABS structure. Once sanded, scuffed with scotch pad, then cleaned with rubbing alcohol, sprayed a coat of adhesion promoter then 3 coats of sandable primer. Before painting will do a final sand of 800 grit dry. Should have a very smooth surface for painting. Since I have done quite a few of the panels with sandable primer, will do all the panels. Expect this will help with the final product. Did the spraying in the garage, a bit cool but the primer has flashed off. Brought inside for the night to let the primer set:

Back into the garage tomorrow.

Found an object located just in front of the right fairing pocket: that is connected into the clearance light circuit. Top view:

Wire side view:

Any thoughts? Looked in the manual and no mention of such an item.

Going to install the Goldwing emblems on the side panels. The holes are still visible on the backside of the panels. I'm thinking these are the correct emblems:

There are these alternatives:

More tomorrow

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Been thinking about what to do in the areas that I removed the chrome passenger kick plates from. Looks like there are three products out there to be considered; ceramic paint coating, vinyl wrap and paint protection film (PPF). All do the same job, but depending on your application, mine being to protect the paint in the area where the passenger's boot is going to be is the deciding factor. All three can be applied by a DIY, and non are 100 percent bulletproof. This information is available on line, but I'm summarizing my understanding because of what I intend to do.

Ceramic paint coatings are good and used to protect the paint from normal wear and tear. It is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. It will last a long time, but after some 3-4 years will have to be reapplied.

Vinyl wrap provides more protection, is a polyvinyl chloride compared to the PPF that is a polyurethane. The Vinyl wrap is more brittle than the PPF. Comes in a range of thicknesses from 2 to 6 mil whereas the PPF can be had in thicknesses of 6 to 10 mils. The PPF provides more protection than the vinyl wrap.

Having perused and viewed a few videos, all mentioning the same information, I will be looking at a PPF for the areas to be protected. Might be good for other area such as the front fender, the lower fairing pieces and such. Have found on Amazon a 3M product that is clear, and 8 mils - 3M Scotchgard Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 12 Inch x 60 Inch - for $40.00. Something to look at.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Yesterday was a good day. It ended up being a clean and repair day. Started with cleaning the fairing, and in doing so, found a lot of cracks and missing pieces that had to be fixed. Here are some of the pics of cracks and damage:

Crack about 7 inches long
Crack about 7 inches long

Cracking with missing pieces at right side pocket
Cracking with missing pieces at right side pocket

Most of the cracks were fixed with an application of ABS cement, sand area then apply trying to get the ABS cement into the crack. The damage at the right side pocket was fixed with a small piece of ABS cemented in place:

File comment: Cut a slim piece of ABS to fit and used copious amount of ABS cement. Should be good for a while.

There are other cracks that needed to be fixed. Think I have them all now. Did some repair(s) on the front fender - cracks around bolt holes, and trunk box bolt/screw holes as well. Think I have got all the cracks and such repaired.

Tomorrow will be a sand, and paint with primer day - hopefully. Putting off painting the blue trim pieces until Monday. Should still be able to get painting the rest on Tuesday. Schedule is max flex.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Was browsing the how to articles and found some regarding installing LED light strips in the saddlebag and trunk marker lights. The saddlebag and trunk marker lights are the small push in type:

Finding these will be a project in itself. I had a few minutes to spare yesterday so I looked at the marker lights.

The saddlebag marker light bar is easy to work with. The lens is secured using screws. There are 6 small lights, not all are working:

Should be an easy project to retrofit with an LED strip(s).

The trunk side marker lights:

are a little more involved to get the lens off. The lens is sealed with an adhesive gasket and locking tabs. Gentle persuasion is required. Once the lens is off there is a light diffuser (?) inside:

and holds 3 bulbs. The bulbs can be changed without taking the unit apart, but I needed to see what was inside.

Both of these units are good candidates for LED strip lighting. The strip lighting can also be dual purpose, running lights and signal. Will be looking into this, and probably making a change.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Got a good start this morning. Finished all the sanding and got ready for primer - only got one coat of primer on the last pieces. These pieces are good to go, no repairs that need filling so one coat should be good.

I have 2 4X8 tables setup for priming the last pieces, and it is very tight for space:

Thinking the painting will have to be a 3 day affair. One day for the blue trim pieces, and 2 days for the main plastic. Will do the smaller pieces first, then the saddlebags and trunk. Should be okay.

Have been looking into wet sanding, benefits and what it entails - never having done it before. I tried a test piece and from what I can tell, it does give a smooth finish. I'm thinking 600/800 grit wet will be good.

More work tomorrow.

Ernest

1goldwingnut
Motorcycle: 95 20th anniversary GL1500A

Post by 1goldwingnut »

My 95 aspy has your alternative emblems on it. SE and CDN edition might be different.

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Thanks for the info. Will use the alternative emblems.

Been a long slog as well, but the end is in sight. Did some filler today, 3 pieces will need to be sanded and primed tomorrow - brought these pieces in for the night to help the curing process. Wet sanded all other parts with 600 grit - these will get to dry well. Should be able to setup the first batch of white plastic tomorrow late afternoon/evening. Getting as many parts in a sensible arrangement and secured so the spray guns don't blow them around takes a little time.

Have all the blue trim pieces cleaned and setup for painting tomorrow:

These parts will be done tomorrow, should only need two coats of the new blue colour, it's a lot darker, much closer to the original. Will be doing a satin clear coat as well. Did a test piece to ensure that I would not have to use an adhesive promoter - test successful. Even using plastic drop sheets to cover the walls and such.

Looking forward to Wednesday evening.

Ernest

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Hey Ernest, I have a 94 SE and a 2000 SE. I just looked and the top emblems in your picture are on the 2000 model and the bottom ones are on my 94. They changed them up somewhere along the line.

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Things went well. Blue trim all done and put away for at least 5 days, probably more because the white parts have to be finished and worked on first.

Lots of room to walk around and keep the hose off parts and plastic. Used the spray gun with just air last night to make sure everything would stay in place. Will do the same for the white parts. Will be a little more particular with the white parts as to placement and would like a bit more area. Should be able to get a few more linear feet for space.

Sanded and primed the last five pieces. Wet sand in the morning. Have the larger pieces setup for first spray tomorrow - 17 in all:

There are 13 mid to small pieces in waiting:

When I cued up each piece I did a shadow painting/visualization to make sure I could get at all the surfaces that I want to paint. Also used a spray gun to ensure all pieces would not move when sprayed. Going to be a good day.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Beautiful sunny day. Temp right now at 7 deg C, going up to 15 deg C. Going to start painting around 1030.

Had a thought about spray can nozzles and how these can affect your project. I was spraying the clear gloss coat on the blue trim yesterday, a SEM product, and every now and then my finger would give out and release the nozzle, didn't matter where or when. I then used a Dupli Color spray can to spray some sandable primer onto the last few pieces of white plastic. This nozzle is very easy to spray with and easy on the finger, no pun intended. Here are some spray nozzles that I have been using:

The SEM nozzle on the right requires the most finger pressure, the Dupli Color in the middle is the easiest on finger pressure, and the red nozzle on the left isn't bad, but your finger can get in the spray pattern. So lesson learned for myself is to get a spray can with a nozzle that requires the least amount of finger pressure. This prevents inadvertent stops in the middle of a pass over the part. When this happened I also noticed that I would automatically want to restart where I was and this can put a lot of paint in one spot that you do not want to do. Should have started a new pass and gone over where I left off. Things to consider.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Took a couple of pics of the final result. Think it has worked out well:

Liking the product. Still a few to do, takes time, but who doesn't have that nowadays.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Another small painting project I am looking at is a black chrome finish on the plastic and metal chrome pieces. Expect the paint scheme to be quite good for a first time, and would like all the parts to compliment. The front lower cowling is a bit "ratty" to say the least:

Dupli Color has this product, $25.00 at the local Canadian Tire. Have viewed videos on this product and it does not seem to be too daunting considering the main paint project. Will do some additional homework and get prepped for this.

Today should be a banner day. Sun's up, a little cool first thing but supposed to warm up. Need some paint filters so that is first on the agenda.

Mentioned cleaning of the garage was being done, even cleaned the shop vac - took it apart and got rid of all the dirt and grime. Took the kayaks down and washed as well. Going to look at the Shadow Chrome for the chrome on the bike. I'm thinking it will tone down the brightness.

Took the light rings off the front rotor covers. Nice to have but not my thing. These are in working order, and will be offering these up free but pay the shipping. Here's pic:

Will clean up before I send. Expensive little critters.

Good day in the paint world. All pieces DONE! Been a long haul, but I can now relax a bit. Only one run to contend with, but small issue. Have been looking on line to find out my options. Had to make a couple of jigs to get the mirrors and trunk wing done:

Now the clean up starts but that is a tomorrow job. Leaving the pieces setup in the garage overnight, then move and leave alone for the next 5 days. Have other projects to keep me from getting bored. Will post pics of the latest paint day, but that is also a tomorrow job.

Ernest

tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by tsandvik »

Excellent job! I just did my '90 Aspencade with a full repaint and parts repair also. I will never forgive my daughter for saying, "you know dad, since you do not like the original color, now would be a good time to repaint the bike" when I was putting in a new engine.

Never imagined how many plastic parts there are on a Goldwing.

I too am not a real fan of all the chrome so I have taken most of it and painted it a black. Less maintenance and goes real nice with the Daytona
Blue Pearl I painted the body.

This is not a job for someone that does not have a ton of patience and attention to detail. Like you also was a real good excuse to get some new painting equipment.

Again Good Job on this project.