Fan Switch

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Fan Switch

Post by agedbikeman »

I read somewhere but not on this forum about if you fit a manual switch on the cooling fan(s), it forces more warm air out of the heater vents onto you legs to keep you a bit warmer in cold weather.
Has anyone tried this yet? I do not have any problems with overheating, this is just a leg warmer.

I also did consider fitting computer fans behind the vents to draw up warm air from the heater system, anyone else thought of this.

The temperature of the air coming out of the vents on your legs is so minimal it's not worth having, is this normal or do I have a problem

Cheers
Alex

(Have to find something to do during Virus lockdown)

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Fan Switch

Post by ct1500 »

The minute amount of warm air coming out the vents is more novelty than anything else. The SE's with the knob and exhaust heated air might actually work though? On cool/cold days the engine just doesn't get hot enough to transfer much heated air through the radiators. Thermostat opens for a blip and is closed again.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Anybody ever tried to put the exhaust shields from a SE on an Aspencade or Interstate? I am wondering if they will fit. It would be really nice to have a little more heat at the toes in the cold times. My shields are really rusted and need changing so maybe I'll try it.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

agedbikeman
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman »

Thinking about it, when I had all the bodywork off I noticed an orange heatproof rubber tube on a gizmo attached to the L/H exhaust manifold that looked like it was used to send hot air somewhere, then another pipe a on the end of that, that dissapeared up onto a maze of pipes, didn't see where it went, I asume it goes to the fairing heater vents, can't find any reference to it on drawings or in the manual.

Any input welcome
Alex

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

agedbikeman wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:59 am
Thinking about it, when I had all the bodywork off I noticed an orange heatproof rubber tube on a gizmo attached to the L/H exhaust manifold that looked like it was used to send hot air somewhere,
It goes to the foot warmers.

agedbikeman
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman »

No foot warmers on my model, no dashboard knob or foot vents

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

agedbikeman wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:59 am
Thinking about it, when I had all the bodywork off I noticed an orange heatproof rubber tube on a gizmo attached to the L/H exhaust manifold that looked like it was used to send hot air somewhere, then another pipe a on the end of that, that dissapeared up onto a maze of pipes, didn't see where it went, I asume it goes to the fairing heater vents, can't find any reference to it on drawings or in the manual.Any input welcome
Alex
That is the "zip" tube that goes up to the air cleaner box inlet. Cold outside air is cut off via flap and the heated air around exhaust gets drawn into air cleaner housing which aids driveability concerns of cold carburetor intake air. i.e. Stumble, hesitation, carb icing, better combustion, quicker warm up times, etc.
Attachments

Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

agedbikeman
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman »

That answers a lot of questions.
never known an engine where you could ditch the choke so quicklly after startup.

Pipe previously mentioned, wondered why it dissapeared upwards at an odd angle to what I thought it should have.

For a 25year old bike ,it's got such a lot of advanced features, how did they manage to build it for the price, no robots in those days and the design and innovation is way ahead of my 6year old Can Am Spyder RT with all its computerisation.
Thanks for all you input, won't bother modifying heater, I'll just get thicker socks.
Alex.