Compressor runs, but readout shows 0 psi

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
oakback
Motorcycle: shopping

Compressor runs, but readout shows 0 psi

Post by oakback »

I'm a new owner, sorry if this is a dumb question, I couldn't find the answer searching.

With engine running, I press P CHECK and INCREASE, I can hear the compressor operating, but the screen only shows 0 psi.

I'm not sure where to start with this. Is it more likely to be a compressor issue, a suspension issue, or something to do with the display not indicating proper pressure?

I appreciate any assistance.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Compressor runs, but readout shows 0 psi

Post by ct1500 »

Is the rear suspension bottoming out? While sitting on bike off the stands the rear suspension should go up and down if the air shock works and is getting air using the increase and decrease buttons. Do you feel the back end raising and lowering? If not then the compressor, lines, valves or air shock need attention. You can also hear the hiss of releasing air if shock is indeed pumped up. Behind left saddlebag is the compressor and behind right bag is shock and valving.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings »

HI - I saw your post there - check out this how to i posted a while back now - its most likely either your compressor or the air jet solnoid valve that's at fault other things could be a relay or fuse !! .

Hear are some links for you to check out too !!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37197

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10743#p51732

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4284#p16668

Hope this may help you there !! :D :D :D :D :D

oakback

Post by oakback »

Thanks for the replies! Soon I'll strip some panels for maintenance, and I'll give into the compressor issue at that time as well.

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

its not hard to fix this there !!! have a gander at the vid i made !! - <iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=AB3 ... i7pup45Dng" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe>

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

If you are going to take the tupper ware off the bike eg - top box and side panners - Then you may as well do the whole back end maintance too - I bet you that the air dissecant will not have been even took off the bike never mind serviced !! .

Other items that never receive attention are :- greasing the shaft drive linkage and shaft viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30309 and viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10535 - Rear back brake caliper rubber grease on the bake sliding caliper shaft to stop it rusting up !!

oakback

Post by oakback »

Unfortunately I missed your post about the other maintenance to do while I'm there. But I feel pretty comfortable removing the boxes, it wasn't too bad. Except for the white 4-prong cable retention clip for the saddlebag opening cable, that thing sucks. I'll address those other maintenance items soon.

Anyways, it turned out that someone had cut the hose to the auxiliary air hose. They also cut the air hose from the solenoid block to the shock. And yet went through the trouble of making a hose that bolts to the air shock, with a Schrader valve to the saddle bag, so they could manually pump up the shock.

I had a tube & hose shop make new hoses with banjo bolts sealed with crush washers, rather than the Honda o-ring setup (due to parts availability). I also disassembled the compressor, cleaned out the bits of disintegrated foam, replaced with lawnmower air filter foam, and greased where appropriate. Then I replaced the shock oil seal and boot, and added fresh ATF. The lower shock bushing was gone, and followed a questionable suggestion I saw online and replaced it with PVC pipe segment.

I haven't been able to ride it yet (front dash stuff is disassembled for other reasons), but the air system seems to be working well now. I can't hear leaks. The output hose works. I can increase shock pressure to 40 psi (indicated on the newly replaced LCD screen) while on center stand, but it stops there, and I hear the compressor change tones like it's struggling. Oh well, better than zero psi.

On our last ride riding 2-up, we bottomed out several times, and scraped going through a roundabout. I'm looking forward to the improved ride.

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

Well you have been a busy bee there !! all good though !! - I feel with a the 1500 wings - its best to start from the ground upwards - !! - Tires - suspension - Brakes - Work your way up the bike you will learn better that way too !! - From what you have said it sounds like you are running on the standard one shock system - Yes ?? - On mine i am running on PROGRESSIVE 416 SUSPENSION Air Shocks and upgraded 416 front fork springs - The stock 1500 has a single shock on the right side and an air bladder on the left. The shock itself is a sealed coil over unit and is probably what is leaking. The air bladder is just a cylinder which gets pumped with air to add more height and spring effect. I don't believe it contains oil and definitely no spring or valving.

I did see a thread somewhere - That said - This :- Quote : - "So it's been 20 years since I owned a 1500 and I did swap out the rear shock and bladder for a set of air over coil springs. If I remember correctly I used a set from a valkyrie which are showa air over coil units but they required 80-90 psi to get them to hold the proper height with two riders and a full load. Not much help but at least you know that is probably not the best route "

My own take on this is to upgrade to the progressive 416 shocks and swop out the fork springs too and change the fork oil as well !! ( mine had turned black !! - it is meant to be coloured red !! ) Dont matter what it says in the service history say's - If you do the work you know its done !! and done right too !! - There will be things on your wing that will have never been touched or serviced ever !! like the drive shaft linkage - most likely bone dry of moly grease along with the drive gear on the rear wheel all need a moly greasing - all get left out in a service too along with the air compressor and other bits to that too ..

If your in the dash panel - try these mods - here are links too them -viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40659 and viewtopic.php?t=10998 also check out the how too's page on hear as well too !!

oakback

Post by oakback »

When I ordered the new LCD screen from Tanin, I opted for the new bulbs as well. They're not LED, but they're new, so it should last me longer than I have the bike. Brake pads and tires are good all around. The rotors feel like they could be replaced, there's quite a noticeable ridge at the edges, but they still stop great. The previous owner gave me new brake and clutch master cylinders, so I'll replace those at a later date. I'll likely do the rear drivetrain maintenance and flush new brake/clutch fluid all at once.

I plan to keep the one shock system. I don't plan on upgrading the suspension, I just wanted it back to original working order. I bought the bike for $1k, and the plan is to fix what's broken (not much!), and do maintenance, not a lot of upgrades. The owners manual says the air shock maximum psi is 58. It does contain fluid (here's a how-to for changing the fluid), at least it's supposed to.

I'd like to swap the factory radio unit for the Unobtanium blank panel, and I was planning on adding a voltmeter to that panel. But that's another project for down the road.

So far I've replaced the coolant, did an oil/filter change, new air filter, the LCD screen, replaced the rear speakers, and all the compressor stuff mentioned. I have the parts ready to replace spark plugs, replace shift shaft oil seal, install shift shaft brace, and replace the front speakers. Then it all goes back together for some riding.

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 honda goldwing aspencade GL1500

Post by 4given »

Maybe I missed it but I didn’t read anything your post about replacing timing belts. Important issue since the 1500 is an interference engine.

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

If you also check out the fuel filter too !! on mine it had disintegrated !!! ??viewtopic.php?f=14&t=110 - Other things to check also is the petcock viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36257

As for the timing belts - that's a very big yes thing to be done !! - make sure they are gates - timing belts and are not cheep false one's - Change them even if it says they have been changed - That way you have your piece of mind too !! - did mine its not hard but you must pay attention to what you are doing !!! - See this how too here !! - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9774 :D :D :D :D :D :D