My Wing won't start.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
drummertom43
Motorcycle: Just bought a 1991 GL1500 Interstate

My Wing won't start.

Post by drummertom43 »

91 Interstate. Since I got it in Feb, I have replaced oil,filter, plugs with Iridium, Ign switch, battery, and some cosmetic stuff. Mostly has been running great, every now and then seems like it would develope a miss. Yesterday, it wouldn't start. Spins over fine and tries to start but won't Fuel pump is working and filter is full. Pulled everything off to get to carbs, and with starting fluid sprayed in carbs, still won't start, and it did backfire through the carbs a few times. My first thought was timing belts, which I am going to change, so I pulled the covers off the timing belt and the marks line up, not perfect, but I don't think they are off enough to cause a no start issue. My next step is to check to see if all the plig wires are firing. I assume I can do this with a timing light. Not to check timing, but to see if all plug wires have fire. Any other suggestions? TIA for your responses.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: My Wing won't start.

Post by bluthundr31 »

Cranks over but just won't start? hmmmm, ,, ,

These beasts are VERY power hungry at start up. My first thought is that your battery needs to have 12.5+ volts without a load, , ,and anything less than 11 volts WITH a load could be problematic. How old is the battery and do you have a DVM (digital volt meter) to measure the battery? Even new batteries can have problems, or develop issues shortly after being put on the bike. There is a DIY mod which bypasses the ECM signal to the coils by giving more power to the coils at start-up, , ,might be worth taking a look at.

The fuel pump, fuel petcock, air filter, timing belts, and other things can come later, , ,get confidence in your battery first. My .02 cents, , , ,

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

My 92 Interstate was doing almost the exact same thing. It would pop back through the carbs and backfire a lot before starting up. I put a new agm battery in it and even then I would run the battery down and have to jump it off and it would take about 15 minutes to get it running first start in the morning (fully cold). Several members suggested the ignition modification but, it wasn't designed to be that way. After a couple of months I was on a Patriot Guard mission and it started to drop a cylinder or 2. I made it home and found that #s 5 and 6 were dead. After running the diagnostics in the OEM service manual I found that the #3 ignition coil was bad. So I ordered 3 new coils and all new spark plug wires from partzilla.com, changed them out, which was a real (pita). It runs and starts just like it is supposed to now. I hope this helps.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

as said, the 1500s are very Power Hungry during startup.

1st thing is to get an AGM battery.
the timing belts are NOT the problem, if they were, the engine would be a pile of junk already.

the Timing belts never align perfectly, they will be off about 1/2 tooth normally.

Measure the battery during the start up cycle.
the minimum at the battery terminals is 10.75-11.00 volts.....

an AGM will hold up to about 11.5 volts during startup and the engine will be running before you can release the start button.

It goes w/o saying, that all of the battery wire terminals must be free of corrosion, and tight.
same at the two solenoids and starter post.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

drummertom43

Post by drummertom43 »

It's a new battery, and I put my charger/jump starter on it and it did the same thing. I will probably do the ECM bypass. I am going to change timing belts just because I have it torn down to that point and for peace of mind. Clock shows 37K miles and the belts would probably be fine, but as I said, it's apart to that point, so why not. One thing I did think about. As a mechanic who specializes in auto electric, when troubleshooting, look for the last thing done, I did have the airbox off of the carbs to repair the idle adj. cable. upon inspection, I found a gas line to the L/H carb kinked, and fixed it, but I am still gonna change the belts first and then I will see if that's the problem. Again, Thanks for all the help. Will post when I finally hit the solution.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

drummertom43 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:26 am
It's a new battery, and I put my charger/jump starter on it and it did the same thing. I will probably do the ECM bypass. I am going to change timing belts just because I have it torn down to that point and for peace of mind. Clock shows 37K miles and the belts would probably be fine, but as I said, it's apart to that point, so why not. One thing I did think about. As a mechanic who specializes in auto electric, when troubleshooting, look for the last thing done, I did have the airbox off of the carbs to repair the idle adj. cable. upon inspection, I found a gas line to the L/H carb kinked, and fixed it, but I am still gonna change the belts first and then I will see if that's the problem. Again, Thanks for all the help. Will post when I finally hit the solution.
what type battery?
AGM or Wet Cell ?

AGM is the preferred type, and works best, no special bypass wiring needed.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

drummertom43

Post by drummertom43 »

It's a wet cell. I am gonna charge it while I wait for my belt. I will try again after I install the belts. Also, one of the lines to the carbs was kinked some. Maybe it was enough to stop gas flow to that side. I fixed that and like I said, try again after repl belts and battery charge.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

drummertom43 wrote:
It's a new battery, and I put my charger/jump starter on it and it did the same thing. I will probably do the ECM bypass.
If there is not any malfunctioning part, then you can try the modification that I have done. I have been using a wet cell battery for 5 years without any issues.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/g ... ed.611705/

TwoTone Trike
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GoldWing 1500se/2012 Hannigan Trike, 1953 Panhead, 1973 Electra Glide sold

Post by TwoTone Trike »

Keep us up to date. I'm curious as to what it is.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:58 am
drummertom43 wrote:
It's a new battery, and I put my charger/jump starter on it and it did the same thing. I will probably do the ECM bypass.
If there is not any malfunctioning part, then you can try the modification that I have done. I have been using a wet cell battery for 5 years without any issues.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/g ... ed.611705/
Erdeniz, that link is not working.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 »

Is this it?
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/g ... ost-457305

Its the one I was referring to.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

bluthundr31 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:18 pm
Is this it?
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/g ... ost-457305

Its the one I was referring to.
Correct, I think I couldn't paste the link correctly.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Post by golden highway »

Check the No 6 vacuum tube on the left side. If it’s broken or disconnected your bike won’t start. They tend to break at the bend. If you look up how to synchronize your carbs this would be the vacuum line you disconnect and plug while doing the synchronization. If it’s rotten you could have easily broken it when you were working in the area.

wezx
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Post by wezx »

Just to concur about Wings being power hungry...a couple months back went to start my ‘93 Aspencade after having ridden it a few days previous and it just cranked and wouldn’t start. And I mean cranked strong! So I thought “it can’t be the battery?!” But I got a new battery and it started right up! I’ve also owned Suzuki Intruders that were similar...it may crank good but if the battery isn’t in top shape it won’t fire.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Ya - the 1500 is a different animal from the 4cyl Wings, the ignition modules on the 4cyl bikes are much more forgiving to low voltage, they'll actually fire and run on the last gasp of a dying battery.

If the voltage to the ICU (or ECM, whatever you want to call it) in the 1500 falls much below 10.5v (that could be 11v at the battery with voltage drops) the ICU simply quits and you can crank the starter all day without getting a spark.

That's why the 1500 is so picky about the battery, 11v at the battery while cranking is hardly a dead battery. But since power to the ICU has to go thru the ignition switch, kill switch, several relays connectors and fuses to get to the ICU from the battery there can be significant voltage loss along the way and the ICU is not getting full battery power. This voltage drop can be made worse as these bikes age.

This is often seen as the engine doesn't start while cranking, but fires up just as you release the start button. You can often get a stubborn 1500 to start by hitting the starter button in short bursts instead of just holding it down and cranking and cranking. What happens in this case is the battery voltage comes back up to nominally 12v the moment you release the starter, the ICU immediately starts working and fires the still-spinning engine.

There's a modification using a relay to power the ICU directly from the battery posted here in the forum. This mod is particularly helpful for those bikes that only start as the start button is released.

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark