Memphis Shade Windshield

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Memphis Shade Windshield

Post by bigsteveswing »

Hi all, I know windshield questions can be pretty controversial, but here goes.

Anybody have experience with the vented standard height Memphis Shade from Cyclemax?

My bike came with a very nice Tulsa Tall that my Grandad installed and loved for touring.

I really do not like it, I don't care for looking thru it all the time and I have banged my head on it getting on the bike because of the height and angle. I also am not doing long distance touring at this point in my life.

Thanks Steve

Big Steve
Keep America Strong: Weld It
8-)

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Re: Memphis Shade Windshield

Post by bigsteveswing »

*bump*

No opinions on this?
Big Steve
Keep America Strong: Weld It
8-)

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg »

The best and longest lasting shield is a F4Custom :
https://f4customs.com/aftermarket-repla ... torcycles/
Pick your size.
YOu can clean these with Windex and paper towel!

HandymanHerb
Motorcycle: 1997 GL 1500 SE Aspencade

Post by HandymanHerb »

What has everyone got with looking through a windshield, did you remove the one on your car too ???

I just wonder, I had the plus four inch on my Vetter Fairing on my 81 CX 500 and loved it as it was my full time ride back then, kept the rain off me while moving and helped keep me warm on long cold rides at 30 degrees when I got tired of staying in a motel after being in one for two months on work assignment and went to driving an hour a day one way for the next 30 days.

You can always cut the tall one down and re-polish the cut line

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

F4

No Tulsa for me, not even a cut and polished one as they curve rearwards and if cut, feed the wind to the face. Last one I had came with a vent that I did like, so I used a bandsaw to cut out that section to use as a pattern for adding that vent to my F4.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

89 1500
Motorcycle: 89, 1500 candy wineberry gone to another owner
92 Aspencade Cambridge blue

Post by 89 1500 »

I've had a couple. The first one I got with their vent was awesome and the vent had alot of adjustability. Perfect fit and worked like the factory one with the adjusters. I bone headed that one when the garage door came down on it while backing out and had to get another. The second one was slightly tighter in the adjusters but worked well. It lasted me a long time before it started showing wear and tear. I'm going with a national cycle v stream next got to try one on another 1500 and liked the way it directed the air around the rider/passenger. My wife's biggest complaint has been buffeting. Don't miss my Tulsa at all rode in a nice calm pocket but bumping my head on it got annoying.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

HandymanHerb wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:16 am
What has everyone got with looking through a windshield, did you remove the one on your car too ???
I typically don't wear a helmet in my car. ;) (I have been pulled over for that)

But now that my vision has declined, I have eyeglasses, tinted internal sunvisor, face shield, windscreen. Just too many layers of plastic and too much glare. Looking over the windscreen gives me a lot clearer view of the road. Not to mention bumping my helmet on the edge of the tall windscreen getting on and off the bike.

HandymanHerb
Motorcycle: 1997 GL 1500 SE Aspencade

Post by HandymanHerb »

I live in Fla so the only time we wear full face shield when it get in the 40's, the rest of the time we don't need it as the screen protects us

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

My 2000 GL1500SE had a Tulsa Tall on it when I got it. I hated that thing. Almost every time I got on it I would bump my helmet against it. It blocked the wind from me just fine, and I liked that part, but I just couldn't tolerate that thing leaning back so far into my space.