94 GL1500Se with CSC Trike Mufflers?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
waynedudes
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 with CSC Trike conversion

94 GL1500Se with CSC Trike Mufflers?

Post by waynedudes »

Since this seems to be the best source of Gold Wing info, I have a question. I am looking to replace the chrome mufflers on my 94 GL 1500 SE with CSC Trike conversion. The chrome is rusting. I am sure that there are chrome mufflers out there. If I could locate a source.

Thanks for any assistance!!!

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: 94 GL1500Se with CSC Trike Mufflers?

Post by CrystalPistol »

You can see them on the CSC?

My '97 Lehman's mufflers are dirty, the left even has dents from debris kicked up one day, no holes, welded on extensions with rolled lip tips. I have some "extra" mufflers, might use the '98s on it but then they are totally under the trike & drone bad?

There is a mod involving using HD mufflers that often get removed when near new. I "copied & saved this many years ago. Maybe it helps. On a Trike, not likely to stick out so far. I have not done this, I just offer the info.
pwhoever on 05-06-10:
I am in the middle of something similar and have almost completed it. If you don't mind getting a little creative, you might think about getting a set of Harley touring mufflers and adapting them. I have been told that a lot of Harley shops have so many stock ones sitting around that they don't know what to do with them. A friend at work had an 07 Ultra that he changed the mufflers after the first 100 miles and the stock ones were sitting in the garage taking up space. He just gave them to me. It cost me $30 at meineke to have an adapter made up, and $16 for 2 Harley clamps to mount the adapters to the mufflers (They are meant to be used only once??? and replaced if ever removed). I don't need to ever remove that clamp if I ever have to take the pipes of as in a rear tire change, I can just pull the adapter off the exhaust chamber and unbolt the rear mount. I just need 2 bolts and a couple washers and I will be finished. I have already fired up the bike and it sounds pretty good. It has a nice low rumble at idle but I don't think it is really any louder than the stock goldwing mufflers when it is revved up. Overall, a lot cheaper than even getting used goldwing mufflers that may already be on the verge of rotting out anyway.
050710:
If you don't mind getting a little creative, you might think about getting a set of Harley touring mufflers and adapting them. I have been told that a lot of Harley shops have so many stock ones sitting around that they don't know what to do with them. A friend at work had an 07 Ultra that he changed the mufflers after the first 100 miles and the stock ones were sitting in the garage taking up space. He just gave them to me. It cost me $30 at meineke to have an adapter made up, and $16 for 2 Harley clamps to mount the adapters to the mufflers (They are meant to be used only once??? and replaced if ever removed). I don't need to ever remove that clamp if I ever have to take the pipes of as in a rear tire change, I can just pull the adapter off the exhaust chamber and unbolt the rear mount. I just need 2 bolts and a couple washers and I will be finished. I have already fired up the bike and it sounds pretty good. It has a nice low rumble at idle but I don't think it is really any louder than the stock goldwing mufflers when it is revved up. Overall, a lot cheaper than even getting used goldwing mufflers that may already be on the verge of rotting out anyway.
When I started off, I brought one of the mufflers to Meineke because I didn't know what size pipe I needed. I told them that I needed a pipe to fit inside the muffler. They had only a 3 foot section of the right size, I believe (but not positive) it was 1-7/8". I told them I only needed 2 small sections. They cut two 10" sections, bent it (?) in the middle at a 30 deg angle. I took it home and tried to fit it onto the outlet of the exhaust chamber but it ended up being about the same diameter. I went back and was going to see if I could have a larger pipe welded on that end and they told me they could "swell" it so it fit over. Once again, I had brought one of the mufflers and asked them to swell it large enough to fit over the outside of the muffler and they did it. With leaving the exhaust gasket on the exhaust chamber, this extension fit like a glove. I ended up cutting 2" off the end of the extension pipe that went into the Harley muffler because otherwise it made the mufflers stick out too far in the rear.

Another thing I did was clean a little inside the muffler inlet with a degreaser/cleaner because the extension pipe was pretty tight inside there and I needed it to seat all the way in.
One tip, because of the swell, slide the Harley muffler clamp on the pipe before fitting it into the muffler and make sure that you can access the nut. I made sure that the nut would be facing down in the rear on both sides.
By making the extension pipes the length and angle that I did, it put the front mounting nut right under the rear saddlebag mount. I have not finished this job yet but I plan on drilling out this location on each saddlebag to fit a 5/16-18 bolt which is the size on the Harley mounting tab. I think I will end up getting a 1-1/2" or 1-3/4" length and use a series of steel and rubber washers. This would allow for easy removal of the mufflers for rear end service. I also have to decide if I want to mount a clamp on the part of the pipe that comes out of the exhaust chamber. Right now it fits real tight and when I fired it up, I couldn't feel any exhaust leak. Either way, if I have to remove the mufflers for service, I can leave the Harley "one time use" muffler clamps alone because otherwise, $8 a pop might get a little expensive.

Here are the pipes after 2" were cut off. I suggest cutting the end off after getting the bend because otherwise the bend may end up in the wrong spot. My bend is appx 5" from the end of the swell and that was perfect.

Here's how far they will stick out the back. If I hadn't cut the 2" off, they would stick out even further and than I would have had to figure out a different way for the rear mount. There are the 2 mounting holes on the muffler. I am only using the front. When it is done, the rear one won't be visible from underneath the saddlebag.

So once done, this will end up being way cheaper than stock mufflers. You should be able to get the mufflers free ( a Harley riding buddy, Harley store, etc...) or if not, I still wouldn't pay more that $20-25 on e-bay.
051010:
Well I got them mounted. I just have to figure out how to do a sound byte and get it on here. I ended up using 1-3/4" bolts because the 1-1/2" were too short. That old muffler bracket got in the way so the 1-1/2 wouldn't reach. I used a series of steel and rubber washers to fill it in and finally, a lock washer in between the last steel washer and the muffler. On the right side, I used a 5/16" drill bit and drilled out the rear saddlebag hole and original saddlebag washer. That side went perfect. On the left I couldn't quite get the bolt and muffler to line up so I widened the hole a tad larger with a 3/8" bit. After tightening both Harley muffler brackets, the setup feels nice and tight. I didn't get a chance to ride today and tomorrow I think they are calling for rain. I will give an update later this week after driving it a bit.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)