Poor low RPM throttle response 1994 Asp 1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
eusurp1
Motorcycle: 1994 Aspencade

Poor low RPM throttle response 1994 Asp 1500

Post by eusurp1 »

Gents (mostly) I have a 1994 1500 a great bike---fantastic...put thousands of trouble free miles on this machine and then last year replaced the alternator and then started having issues with lowere RPM throttle response. Really doggy. Bogging. After about 2000-2500 rpm the bike kicks up and takes off. I am wondering if there is a vacuum line that I may have messed up or cut or pulled out as you probably know getting an alternator installed in that space is tricky...
Any help would be appreciated...and would you just pull the alternator anyway to look?----I can ride it like this but...probably shouldn't
Soup

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Poor low RPM throttle response 1994 Asp 1500

Post by ct1500 »

Is it a CA emission equipped machine? They have the charcoal canister below the alternator and there are a couple vacuum controlled valves in the general area of alternator. Above and to the left.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

jamesmorrow
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 50th Anniversary

Post by jamesmorrow »

I'm having the exact same problem.

jamesmorrow

Post by jamesmorrow »

eusurp1 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:21 am
Gents (mostly) I have a 1994 1500 a great bike---fantastic...put thousands of trouble free miles on this machine and then last year replaced the alternator and then started having issues with lowere RPM throttle response. Really doggy. Bogging. After about 2000-2500 rpm the bike kicks up and takes off. I am wondering if there is a vacuum line that I may have messed up or cut or pulled out as you probably know getting an alternator installed in that space is tricky...
Any help would be appreciated...and would you just pull the alternator anyway to look?----I can ride it like this but...probably shouldn't
Soup
Did you figure out anything, I am having the exact same issue... Bogs at low throttle, makes it tough turning at slow speeds and starting off.... RPM's reach a certain range and it wants to take off suddenly.. Makes it a little unsafe.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I bought a '94SE California bike

it had sat in a Phoenix, AZ shed for 2 plus years w/o being started.

at first, it did what you all are saying, it was not safe below about 2,500 RPM.

I found bad vacuum lines and fixed those, that helped a bit.
My hero mechanic Mark at "D&D Motorcycles" in Tempe, AZ told me to strip off all of the emissions crap.
I did, didn't make a lot of difference right away.

As I was using it for my daily go to work/back transportation, it accumulated 35 miles each day, plus whatever I did on weekends.

My solution was to just keep running Sea foam through it.... IIRC, it took 3 plus months for it to start running right.... after six months, it idled like it should, and throttle response was as expected from off to wide open.

I am totally convinced the slow speed idle circuits were plugged... and that if the carbs had been removed and thoroughly and properly cleaned, it would have been fixed overnight..... but I had neither the time, or money to do that... so I just rode it...

it finally fixed itself... I'm stubborn that way.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

jamesmorrow

Post by jamesmorrow »

Thank you for the response AZgl1800... I'm running sea foam in her now.. I'll be changing the timing belts and tensioners this coming weekend... Maybe after that she'll purr like a kitten again.

eusurp1

Post by eusurp1 »

ct1500 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:51 pm
Is it a CA emission equipped machine? They have the charcoal canister below the alternator and there are a couple vacuum controlled valves in the general area of alternator. Above and to the left.
Thanks for the response...is there a serial number group that signifies the Calif emissions model? I am taking the alternator out today and I'll be looking for that canister.
I know there is a cruise control canister also right? I'll look...this is a fantastic site made better by responses from experts like yourself!!

I put in a shift lever brace...what a difference it made....have some ring of fire lighting issues that I will track down...grounding issues probably...
MY Honda is one well made engineering marvel and I like riding it!!
Thanks
Soup

eusurp1

Post by eusurp1 »

ct1500 wrote:........... and there are a couple vacuum controlled valves in the general area of alternator. Above and to the left.
Does the ACIV actuator have to be vertical? The mounting rubber was ripped and the valve was laying over. The vacuum lines under the alternator were just drains out of the gas fill area. I saw only one suspected vacuum line but I am pretty sure that was not cut through...
Pics show what I am pretty sure is NOT the emissions canister that you referenced...thanks for looking

Soup
Attachments

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

The second picture shows the cruise control actuator and if it was CA emissions there would be a black 3 port valve in the area behind it, which is not there so no CA. For the first pic I think not vertical on the AICV, they are usually around 45 degree with rubber cap up or leaning back. The one hose from the #6 port of valve goes to the #6 cylinder intake, make sure that is connected tightly near where the spark plug wire is. They can swell and fall off/leak, if a lousy fit trim a little off the end and reattach. Does the cruise control work? If not that would indicate one of those vacuum lines could be off.

You got that stripped down pretty good and I see no rubber mat above engine soooo has work been done on this engine?
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

eusurp1

Post by eusurp1 »

No engine work that I am aware of...I was planning on timing belt and radiator flush now that my work at home thing has afforded me time to do my work with dirty hands at the same time---ha ha.. Do you have a vendor that treats you right?
I have owned it four years....the throttle response thing just sort of happened...trying to figure out if it was something that I did...changed the plugs? ...so maybe I cut a vac line doing that....what about the SeaFoam response...anything there?

I wish there was a GW mechanic in my neck of the woods...I brought my old GW to a mechanic for a high beam switch issue....6 weeks...$400 and still messed up....I ended up finding the issue myself...tracing, ohming etc....

Cold for May...

Thanks

Soup