Exploded Diagrams of takedown?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
ActionMatthew
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE

Exploded Diagrams of takedown?

Post by ActionMatthew »

Hello everyone, and happy Friday!
Last summer (yes a year ago) I tore my late 90's GL1500 down primarily to get to the rear brake cylinder to rebuild it. While I was in there, I order other parts to do maintenance and worked around through replacing the timing belts, and even up into the front and worked on the brakes there and the headlight assembly. I was devoting a lot of time to this, and was able to stay on it. I labeled parts as I took them off, but I did not take pictures step by step. Huge mistake. I got called away suddenly to work, and then when I got home my dog of 15 years got sick and passed away. I just lost motivation. But now I'm back. I find all of the parts and all of their fasteners on the workbench to be a bit daunting.

I'm working through the forums and am getting some insight and instruction there, but what I'm wondering is if anyone is aware of a piece by piece takedown instruction with pictures and a put back? I know its a long shot, but I thought I'd see if one was out there.

Thanks kindly.

Matthew

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: Exploded Diagrams of takedown?

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

You can use partzilla catalog which includes all the parts used on the bike. Just select the year and the model of the bike, and you will get both the diagram and the parts list, and some of the real pictures of the parts when you select a part.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... ld-wing-se

ActionMatthew

Post by ActionMatthew »

Thank you for sending that. There must be 250,000 parts on this bike!

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

ActionMatthew wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:38 pm
Thank you for sending that. There must be 250,000 parts on this bike!
I am sure you will find and share the correct answer after finishing the job.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Join the club.

I have a Snapper Zero Turn mower, a rat got into it one winter about 5 years ago and chewed up the entire wiring harness.

I very dutifully took pictures as I disassembled that thing down to the bare metal, and cut out all of the old wire harness.

No schematic for it, so I decided that I would create one of my own.
got that done and .............

wife got sick, spent 2 years with her in and out of hospitals, and finally her last 6 months in hospital and never got to go back home.......... lost my ambition really bad.

it is now 5 years later, and 3 cellphones bit the dirt, and all of those pictures?
I have no idea where they are, or even if they exist anymore.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

ActionMatthew

Post by ActionMatthew »

It is really interesting how the mind works that way. Coincidentally, I used to be a landscaper, and have rebuilt more than a few zero turns.

Well, it's going better than I thought. I'm taking my time, but I ran into a snag. I put the of the bike back together (fairings, crash bars, headers etc etc) and it all went well except that I discovered I left the right front heat shield off. I have a note on it from when I took it off last year, and it says it goes on above the Right Side Headers (think exhaust manifold). I found a used service manual, so you can see what I'm talking about in the pictures I have attached. Three questions - 1. If I do not instal this what I'm I looking at as far as consequences (I am an oem kind of guy, but.....)
2. If I do instal this, what am I looking at undoing? I do not have a feel for how much I need to backtrack to get it back on the bike. Anybody have any pictures of where this goes? I can't tell from the manual. 
3. (unrelated) - I'm missing a grommet like the one in my third picture. It is for the wheel cover on the front. A plastic cover has a "nipple" that goes in there. Is this an autozone capable part or do I need to go online and get a honda replacement? 

Thanks you all,

​​​​​​​Matthew
Attachments