choke on full ,bike runs, let off choke bike stalls

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
threewheeler
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Interstate 1500

choke on full ,bike runs, let off choke bike stalls

Post by threewheeler »

If I put choke on full bike stats and runs at a high rpm, even after warm up, bikes stalls, is the choke stuck or what?? Thank You

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Re: choke on full ,bike runs, let off choke bike stalls

Post by MikeB »

Has the bike sat for a long period of time?
Sounds like the carburetor is gummed up and needs to be cleaned.

Or, there is a major vacuum leak somewhere.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

rmcgruder
Motorcycle: HONDA GOLDWING 1992 GL1500A ASPENCADE

Post by rmcgruder »

My 1992 Gl1500A is doing the same thing. Pulling the carb and cleaning it, also checking for vacuum leaks is my very next major project. I have ordered additional tools from Amazon that I seen guys on Youtube using, when those tools arrive it will be time to get started. Does anyone have any advice to offer? Like what hoses I should be looking closely at or any trapes I should be watching out for? Any help would be appreciated.

thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Post by thebruce »

I would be willing to bet the pilot jets in the carbs are clogged full of petroleum distillate². There will be other things in there that need attention as well.

I like 99% isopropyl alcohol for cleaning carbs. There are (somewhat) better products, but none i have found that are as cheap or plentiful.

You might have to pull a bristle out of a wire brush to poke it through the jets after you remove them. Use a set of needle-nose pliers to keep your fingers unpunctured.

Make sure you can see through any and all holes in the jets. I like to look through them at a bright patch of sky. Not the sun.

Make sure you can blow compressed air through any and all passages that move air or fuel. It also helps to soak the carbs disassembled in iso for a few days to soften any crud that may be inside the passages.

Since your enrichener (choke) circuit works, I would bet that you will be able to bring them back to life without having to replace parts.

Run a few tanks of fuel with seafoam or marvel mystery oil after it is running acceptably. It will not hurt...
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.

rmcgruder
Motorcycle: HONDA GOLDWING 1992 GL1500A ASPENCADE

Post by rmcgruder »

Well I'm going to be starting this phase late, UPS lost my order from Amazon..lol! Thanks for the advice, I will be following it closely.