Tulsa too-tall reshaping.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Tulsa too-tall reshaping.

Post by thebruce »

I had been looking around for a suitable replacement windshield for my bike, as the tulsa tall it came with was a little... overprotective.

The running price for a decent shield would set me back at least a couple hundred, so I decided to try cutting the tulsa down.

First I removed the chrome lower windshield cover and moved the windshield all the way up.

Then I marked where I thought I would like the windshield top to be. Apparently I took the vent out at this stage too.

I marked 18" up from the point where the windshield gets wide above and outside the mount points. I was going to leave a bit of extra width but I wasn't digging the damage it was causing the painted part that goes just inside the mirrors.

I filled in the area I was planning to cut with masking tape, and I used a chalk line to mark the cut lines straight. Ish.

Here it is ready to go under the knife. Rather than a knife I used a zip cut, and it worked rather well.

Mocked up on the bike it didn't look too bad, so I pulled it off, again.

I wanted to find a template to radius the transition at the top sides. I settled on the 1-7/16" socket I had used the day before.

Back on the bike and looking decent, so there it stayed.

I found that there are two different thicknesses of guides that go in the oval slots in the bottom of the windshield. I paid no attention to them when they were coming out, and I can't even say at this point I recall which holes I put them back in.

What I can say is that I put some washers between those and the bike while I was reassembling, and now I can use the full range of vertical adjustment the original windshield would have had.

I also cleaned up the cut edges with a grinding wheel, and finished with a sanding roll on a dremel. I do not recommend the dremel unless the sanding roll is an inch or more long. Too easy to slip and mark up your windshield. Ask me how I know...

Looking not-too-shabby and not as rounded as it was. The vent needs some repair work before it is reinstalled. Perhaps that is a job for this weekend.

One thing about 80's-90's hondas, bikes or cars, is that there are not a lot of long curves/ovals on them. I was not a fan of the shape of the tulsa, and now it looks like it almost belongs there. Just a personal opinion, but like the bike - it's mine.

It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Re: Tulsa too-tall reshaping.

Post by MikeB »

In a month or two, get in touch again. I am sure most of us would like to know how the ride is now compared to how it was. What is the wind turbulence like? What about rain? How much is it affecting you comfort levels?

Personally, I use the Tulsa on both my 1998 GL1500 and 2017 GL1800. After buying my 2017 GL1800 and having to ride it almost 300 miles with the stock vented windshield in the rain on the way home from southern California, I couldn't wait to get the Tulsa installed.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I am sure you will like the results.

about 3 years ago, I bought a Madstad windscreen that can be tilted front/back and slid up down.

even when it is bottomed out, and the screen is tilted forward, the airstream goes up over my helmet.

On hot days, I tilt it back so that the airstream hits the top of my helmet and lets the helmet's air vents work...

with the old Tulsa Tall, I sweated like a pig all the time, came to near heat exhaustion several times. and had to quit riding when the temps exceeded 75 F...

now I can make it to 85 or 90 for a short while...
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:28 pm
I am sure you will like the results.
I'm thinking the results will be less than desirable. Shortened and narrowed as it is, and with the original angle of the Tulsa, it will most likely put wind and rain in the riders face. I have a feeling that it would certainly be in a passengers face. I may be incorrect too. The one sure way to see if it works for you is to try it and see.

By the way, the deeper cups and longer screws for windshield mounting go one the far left and far right of the windshield.
MikeB
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

thebruce

Post by thebruce »

I like the results so far. If I didn't like a bit of wind I wouldn't ride. To be honest the 'wing is a little more creature-comfort than I demand in a bike, but it is not unappreciated.

The angle of the windshield is definitely a factor. However the height I cut it at leaves me with just a bit of wind in my face at full height, and I can still see over it which was my #1 concern.

My passenger has noted increased wind, but not unmanageable with the right helmet choice.

Riding into the sun, riding at night with oncoming traffic and the odd chance at the shield fogging led me to the conclusion that a bit of reduced comfort is worth the safety improvement.

I would spring for an F4 if I could justify the cost at this time. As it is I need a rear tire, brake pads, steering head bearings, and a few other things to make the bike bulletproof. This is where the decision to cut it really sprung from.

I'm 6' with a good set of soles on. The Tulsa was a solid 4-6" above my line of sight and made me nervous riding on more than one occasion.

I rarely ride in the rain due to my geographical location and the fact that I ride solely for the enjoyment of it. If I still lived on the wet coast I would probably rain-x the hell out of everything I own...

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

Thanks for posting this. I have been trying to decide if I want to cut my Tulsa Tall for now or keep saving to buy a Madstad.

From the looks of yours, I think I am going to give this a try (but am probably still going to eventually get the Madstad).
How well did cutting the sides fix the bars from hitting the shield? I have my bars down as far as they will safely go and still hit on the left side a lot and a little on the right.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

I'm sure you could find someone willing to swap a lower windshield for a Tulsa Tall, and save yourself the time and effort of possibly ruining a good windshield- if you were so inclined.

blupupher

Post by blupupher »

minimac wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:55 am
I'm sure you could find someone willing to swap a lower windshield for a Tulsa Tall, and save yourself the time and effort of possibly ruining a good windshield- if you were so inclined.
I just decided to bite the bullet and get a Madstad, I will not be cutting the Tulsa Tall.
I may put it up on craigslist/Facebook for $100 or so picked up (don't want to mess with shipping it), otherwise I will stick it up in my attic.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

thebruce

Post by thebruce »

I didn't notice there was action here until just now...

The master cylinders still hit the windshield at full lock, left and right. It doesn't bother me as I usually don't ride with the bars there. It was far worse before I cut the 'shield.

I really, really want a madstad.

That being said, the windshield as it is now is WAY better than it was at full height/width. I'm 5'10" with about 30" inseam, so the roof on the bike was a little oppressive.

I haven't rode it in an absolute downpour yet, but have stayed reasonably dry in the few showers that I have been through on it.

There is a bit of buffet that wasn't there before I cut it, but I can still ride in my half helmet and not get tinnitus from the wind and exhaust noise - oh wait, it's not an H-D...

Ordered a pile of audio stuff for the 'wing from amazon.ca recently. Pioneer 4" speakers, boom mats, an amp for said pioneers, and a small (the smallest I could find for cheap) powered subwoofer. Should be fun if I can make it all fit.

Also, a few pix of my and my brother's goldwings. The fact that they are the same colours make it that much more photogenic.
Attachments

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

thebruce wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:40 pm
I didn't notice there was action here until just now...

The master cylinders still hit the windshield at full lock, left and right. It doesn't bother me as I usually don't ride with the bars there. It was far worse before I cut the 'shield.

I really, really want a madstad.

That being said, the windshield as it is now is WAY better than it was at full height/width. I'm 5'10" with about 30" inseam, so the roof on the bike was a little oppressive.

I haven't rode it in an absolute downpour yet, but have stayed reasonably dry in the few showers that I have been through on it.

There is a bit of buffet that wasn't there before I cut it, but I can still ride in my half helmet and not get tinnitus from the wind and exhaust noise - oh wait, it's not an H-D...

Ordered a pile of audio stuff for the 'wing from amazon.ca recently. Pioneer 4" speakers, boom mats, an amp for said pioneers, and a small (the smallest I could find for cheap) powered subwoofer. Should be fun if I can make it all fit.

Also, a few pix of my and my brother's goldwings. The fact that they are the same colours make it that much more photogenic.
The handlebars on the GL1500 can be moved so that the master cylinders do not hit the windshield.
I have never moved mine from the factory position and my master cylinders do not hit my Tulsa Tall windshield.
MikeB
Retired in Tacoma, WA

blupupher

Post by blupupher »

thebruce wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:40 pm

Thanks for those pics. That side view of yours makes me feel a whole lot better about ordering the Madstad. Even cut the Tulsa Tall angles back way too much.
MikeB wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:47 pm
The handlebars on the GL1500 can be moved so that the master cylinders do not hit the windshield.
I have never moved mine from the factory position and my master cylinders do not hit my Tulsa Tall windshield.
My bars are as low as they can go without hitting the tank and still hit the windshield (left side much worse than right)
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

thebruce

Post by thebruce »

Pix are worth 1000 words. Here are a few more.

You can see here the line on the 'shield that was drawn by the brake master hitting it. It was another inch or 2 longer before the cut.

Correction to my earlier statement. The clutch master cylinder no longer hits. I don't think my bars are bent, and I know I centered them on the risers when I changed out the steering head bearings. I recall the contact on the left has always been less than on the right.

As the bars are now, they are at a lower height than I prefer them to be, and lower than when I bought the bike. Visually I like the vertical portion of the handlebars to match the angle of the fork tubes, if not the steering stem. This also eliminates another axis of rotation when steering.

The other day I did a bit of work to a softail with mini apes pushed way forward and hated the way it steered, but that is kind of an extreme example. Pic not of the same bike, but exactly what I am rambling on about.

blupupher

Post by blupupher »

thebruce wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:36 am
e89d7b6cb1ce8ffbcd8517146e33f497.jpg
I have only sat on bikes like that and just don't understand them.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

thebruce

Post by thebruce »

blupupher wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:57 am
There is the cliche where "if I have to explain, you won't understand" but I have ridden enough of those bikes to attempt it.

To ride around on a harley is like driving around in an old muscle car. Loud, vibration, sometimes sloppy handling/braking, but cool in its own sense because it's like an old muscle car. No other bike feels just like that, in my personal experience. Bear in mind I haven't ridden anything newer than about 2011 so I might be clinging to a memory.

To ride around on the goldwing is like rolling around in a Cadillac or Mercedes. Lots of creature comforts, maybe a little heavy. Good handling and power. My favorite part is how quiet they are. More or less under the radar as far as traffic enforcement is concerned. I am not the type of person who craves attention...

blupupher

Post by blupupher »

thebruce wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:27 pm
blupupher wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:57 am
There is the cliche where "if I have to explain, you won't understand" but I have ridden enough of those bikes to attempt it.

To ride around on a harley is like driving around in an old muscle car. Loud, vibration, sometimes sloppy handling/braking, but cool in its own sense because it's like an old muscle car. No other bike feels just like that, in my personal experience. Bear in mind I haven't ridden anything newer than about 2011 so I might be clinging to a memory.

To ride around on the goldwing is like rolling around in a Cadillac or Mercedes. Lots of creature comforts, maybe a little heavy. Good handling and power. My favorite part is how quiet they are. More or less under the radar as far as traffic enforcement is concerned. I am not the type of person who craves attention...
I understand Harley's/cruisers (had a VT1100 Shadow, a HD FXDWG clone for the most part), just not the crazy ape hangers that make the bike uncomfortable and difficult to ride.
I am a function over form person. If something looks "cool" but causes operational/safety issues, no thanks. Something that may not look cool but improves it, I am all for it.

While this sounds like I am contradicting myself (I said I did not like the look of the cut down Tulsa Tall, yet no idea how well it works), I am not, because truthfully, I am not crazy about the look of the Madstad, but it seems the function is outstanding.

1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE