Fader for an Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
89 1500
Motorcycle: 89, 1500 candy wineberry gone to another owner
92 Aspencade Cambridge blue

Fader for an Aspencade

Post by 89 1500 »

Is there a better fader out there than the one from Add-On? I just trashed the second one. The board broke off where the 2 black wires went. I was going to tie the rear speakers into the front and let it go but got hot out there and I stopped for the day. Faders suck so much power from the output and I wanted to eliminate it all together and tie the rear speakers to the front and be done, but just on the front two speakers for now. Hopefully during the ride to work and back tomorrow will jiggle the radio out of mute so I can at least get stations locked in again. One more check on the radio before I give and send it to sierra to fix I feel I'm close to the problem now and when I reflow the boards I will know for sure.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Fader for an Aspencade

Post by CrystalPistol »

Faders don't suck power that I ever experienced, they just redirect the portion you choose to the location you choose. If you wire in two more with what you have, no fader, no control. You will note a drop up front, but then there will be sound in the other pair behind you.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Connecting the front speakers to the back is not really a great idea. If you connect them in series, the impedance will be doubled, so the power output from each will be about half - it will be very quiet.

Connecting them in parallel, the impedance will be halved, and the amplifier will be pushed into supplying more current than it is designed for, which means you could run the risk of blowing output transistors in the power amplifier.

The fader functions by balancing the signal between the two sets of speakers, so that the same impedance is provided to the amplifer, balancing that power between the front and rear.

89 1500

Post by 89 1500 »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:36 pm
Faders don't suck power that I ever experienced, they just redirect the portion you choose to the location you choose. If you wire in two more with what you have, no fader, no control. You will note a drop up front, but then there will be sound in the other pair behind you.
Welp when I installed the new fader my volume decreased significantly over when I was just running front speakers. With just two and the radio stuck in mute the volume is louder without the fader and the cassette is even louder yet. The common part being the Add On products fader which isn't imo a quality part to begin with.

89 1500

Post by 89 1500 »

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:20 pm
Connecting the front speakers to the back is not really a great idea. If you connect them in series, the impedance will be doubled, so the power output from each will be about half - it will be very quiet.

Connecting them in parallel, the impedance will be halved, and the amplifier will be pushed into supplying more current than it is designed for, which means you could run the risk of blowing output transistors in the power amplifier.

The fader functions by balancing the signal between the two sets of speakers, so that the same impedance is provided to the amplifer, balancing that power between the front and rear.
I was studying that in the manual I have for the radio. the amp and avc side aren't built to handle too much load at all. I had a few radio's that were for parts with the amp IC's burned out and you can't find the IC's anymore. I hate to use another Add On fader the quality isn't there for the application, it's an open unit which would make cleaning easy but it's just so light duty. I guess that's all there is though. I'll order another one and reflow the contacts in the radio itself to see if I can get it out of mute finally. If not I still have an AM/FM that was given to me to hold me until sierra can fix mine.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

89 1500 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:28 pm
The common part being the Add On products fader which isn't imo a quality part to begin with.
I couldn't say.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

kingofvenus
Motorcycle: 88 gl1500

Post by kingofvenus »

Two years ago i had a cell in a battery short and after replacing the battery my add-on fader stopped working. It was only a year old too.