Taking off floorboards and going back to stock

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
ap4840
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Taking off floorboards and going back to stock

Post by ap4840 »

Hello, I just bought a 15,000 mile 2000 Goldwing SE and Love the bike, however, it came with the Markland floor boards with heel toe shifter and I'm not a fan. I'm trying to see is there a particular size driver peg and not sure where to get the toe shifter and the foot brake. I've looked online but am getting confused. I appreciate any input and advice..... I'd also be interested in selling the Markland setup if someone's interested. Yes, eBay has a few things but not much to pick from that Im able to find. I love this website, tons of incredible information! Thanks to all!

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: Taking off floorboards and going back to stock

Post by Charlie1Horse »

I had the same exact thing with my 92 Interstate. The floorboards were comfortable out on open road but I didn't like the shifter and brake as I had to pick my foot up off the floorboard to use, especially the brake in panic stop situations. I just went on ebay and found shifter, brake pedal, and foot pegs, (all in different listings), and replaced all of it back to OEM. It may take a little time to find but all is there. I still have my set of floorboards but, nobody seems to want them any more than I do. The floorboard system seems to work well on the 1800s and the old 1200s. Good Luck
Russell

If I don't use Facebook or Twitter do I still have to do Social Media Distancing????
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500
1983 GW Interstate (ready to repair)
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

How much do you guys figure that the floorboards and heel-toe shifter are worth? I have the stock on my 89, and would like to try the other way but don't want to let go of my factory parts until I know I prefer the floors.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

The heel & toe shifter is easy to work around (I did so in steps, now H&T is gone completely) … but the brake with a floorboard needs the heel rest to let the rider better modulate rear brake force and soon it becomes second nature to use. I have no issue with either, switched the 1500 over to Markland FBs maybe 15+ years ago, have heel rest on both sides now, shifting is with toe of left foot. I was having a problem with my left knee is why I switched. Cost me near $250 then, I think they are higher now.

Details here at … viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55936&p=332267#p332267

To go to OEM one needs two OEM pegs, the brake pedal, and the alloy shifter arm with toe rubber.

On my first GL, a '85 … it came to me with floorboards, I didn't like the feeling when they scrapped nor the H&T shifter, so back then ('95) it costs me $25 for the OEM pegs & brake lever/pedal, the H&T used a notch to engage the OEM shifter so that remained, just new rubber. The 1500 is a trike, so no scraping yet. The FBs I have are the "lowboy" set … also slightly forward and maybe 2" lower foot position eased my knee issues.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

ap4840 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:06 pm
Hello, I just bought a 15,000 mile 2000 Goldwing SE and Love the bike, however, it came with the Markland floor boards with heel toe shifter and I'm not a fan. I'm trying to see is there a particular size driver peg and not sure where to get the toe shifter and the foot brake. I've looked online but am getting confused. I appreciate any input and advice..... I'd also be interested in selling the Markland setup if someone's interested. Yes, eBay has a few things but not much to pick from that Im able to find. I love this website, tons of incredible information! Thanks to all!
I got my bike with heel/toe shifter and footboards as well. I took all that stuff off. I found a new shift lever, brake pedal and footpegs on eBay. I bought new rubber for the footpegs and for the shifter from Cyclemax (Honda still makes the rubber). Afterwards I sold the floorboards and heel/toe shifter, and all told, selling those and buying the various parts I needed, I think I came out ahead about $50 or so.

ap4840
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Post by ap4840 »

Thanks very much for the advice so far. I greatly appreciate the experience that you all have had with your own rides. I'll continue to look on eBay and order a few more parts from Cyclemax as they have a great selection and fair pricing to try to put the bike back to original configuration. Thanks again!

mnwingluvr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl1100i Interstate

Post by mnwingluvr »

If you have your set still,would be interested. Loved it on my 83 interstate, have a 92 now miss the floats and heel toe.