Alternator shaft washer

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Wilt
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing 1500 SE

Alternator shaft washer

Post by Wilt »

First time post. Put this on somewhere else but can’t find! Ignorance is bliss! 👍

1993 Goldwing SE
Computer Fire Alternator Out

The alternator went out and is being rebuilt. My specific question relates to the picture. It looks likes there is a rubber washer in the center of the picture around what looks to be a shaft. I can’t find any info on this washer, if it is one, specifically a replacement or if it needs replacing or how to replace it. Need some help on this and maybe any other suggestions you might have on an alternator replacement. It was pretty easy to take out, but any fine pointers would be appreciated.
Attachments

On Engine after alternator removed
On Engine after alternator removed

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Alternator shaft washer

Post by ct1500 »

?????
I see that three of your alternator drive dampeners have broken straps and should be replaced due to age. The one that is still intact on the right is the correct installation orientation.
https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... /129/29165
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

You can find any part you need in the following link.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... alternator

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Thought might help putting it back in.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Wilt

Post by Wilt »

ct1500 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:19 pm
?????
I see that three of your alternator drive dampeners have broken straps and should be replaced due to age. The one that is still intact on the right is the correct installation orientation.
https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... /129/29165
Don’t know how to respond?! Had ordered dampners and now the washers. Appreciate!! 👍

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

I'm sorry Wilt, I do not see the washers that you are talking about. Would you happen to have a part number of the washers you ordered? It make make it easier for me to understand what it is that you are talking about. The only rubber in that alternator drive well that I know of is the four rubber snubber pairs.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

Wilt

Post by Wilt »

All’s well. Got put back together yesterday and seems to work properly. My next problem is I need a Speedometer Assembly 37205-MN5-008 for a 1993 Goldwing SE, which is for the trip odometer which won’t reset. It records mileage, numbers not lined up, but won’t reset.

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

Wilt wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:14 am
All’s well. Got put back together yesterday and seems to work properly. My next problem is I need a Speedometer Assembly 37205-MN5-008 for a 1993 Goldwing SE, which is for the trip odometer which won’t reset. It records mileage, numbers not lined up, but won’t reset.
If you open up the speedometer you can solve the problem, I believe.
Probably, the reset tab is not correctly placed.

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:18 am
Wilt wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:14 am
If you open up the speedometer you can solve the problem, I believe.
Probably, the reset tab is not correctly placed.
I have had to do that to my trip odometer reset plunger at least once in the last 182,000 miles.
MikeB
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

hondadude79
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by hondadude79 »

Wilt wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:10 am
First time post. Put this on somewhere else but can’t find! Ignorance is bliss! 👍

1993 Goldwing SE

The alternator went out and is being rebuilt. My specific question relates to the picture. It looks likes there is a rubber washer in the center of the picture around what looks to be a shaft. I can’t find any info on this washer, if it is one, specifically a replacement or if it needs replacing or how to replace it. Need some help on this and maybe any other suggestions you might have on an alternator replacement. It was pretty easy to take out, but any fine pointers would be appreciated.
Hello Wilt,
If this your pic is a view of the place where the alternator goes it looks like the rubber dampeners where installed wrong. That my be what happened to the alternator going out. See this link from PartZilla web site. This is the parts list for your 93 SE alternator. Don't forget to replace the "O" ring item # 20 between the alternator and mounting place as well as the 4 dampeners items # 2. I didn't see a washer in that area where you see one. Just the nut then a washer.
I hope this helps you get on the road! I hope to see you out there!!! I live in Texas also! Ride safe!

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

hondadude79 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:16 pm
Wilt wrote:

1993 Goldwing SE

Hello Wilt,
If this your pic is a view of the place where the alternator goes it looks like the rubber dampeners where installed wrong. That my be what happened to the alternator going out. See this link from PartZilla web site. This is the parts list for your 93 SE alternator. Don't forget to replace the "O" ring item # 20 between the alternator and mounting place as well as the 4 dampeners items # 2. I didn't see a washer in that area where you see one. Just the nut then a washer.
I hope this helps you get on the road! I hope to see you out there!!! I live in Texas also! Ride safe!
Although you seem to be right about the direction of the dampeners, I think most of us have them installed as in the picture below.
Attachments

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Never saw the ghost washer?

… & Have a Safe Trip!

hondadude79
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by hondadude79 »

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:39 pm
hondadude79 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:16 pm
Wilt wrote:

1993 Goldwing SE

Hello Wilt,
Although you seem to be right about the direction of the dampeners, I think most of us have them installed as in the picture below.
I see. I haven't had my alternator out yet but the diagram is a parts drawing by Honda and is the same in my Honda shop manual as well.
I wonder if it even a issue if they are installed like this? huummmmmm?

ct1500

Post by ct1500 »

hondadude79 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:25 pm
I see. I haven't had my alternator out yet but the diagram is a parts drawing by Honda and is the same in my Honda shop manual as well. I wonder if it even a issue if they are installed like this? huummmmmm?
Nothing new there as the shop manual and parts fiche do not always contain accurate, complete or updated material. I have had at least six alternators out on various machines and the straps do go over the vanes. Why would you want to install them backwards?
Attachments

This is what I do

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:33 pm
Never saw the ghost washer?
Only washers went under the nuts.
ct1500 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:27 am
hondadude79 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:25 pm
I see. I haven't had my alternator out yet but the diagram is a parts drawing by Honda and is the same in my Honda shop manual as well. I wonder if it even a issue if they are installed like this? huummmmmm?
Nothing new there as the shop manual and parts fiche do not always contain accurate, complete or updated material. I have had at least six alternators out on various machines and the straps do go over the vanes. Why would you want to install them backwards?
The rubber straps across pairs of damper rubbers go into engine half of drive coupling first … as I recall. They keep the rubbers paired (and held slightly apart to ease insertion of the alternator too) (and once the alternator is in place, they bridge the vanes of the alternator side coupler and keep the two coupler halves from making metal to metal contact). I think Honda allowed room for the straps by making the alternator half of coupler shallower. If (and I say "IF" because I haven't measured one yet) the engine side of coupler is deeper than the vanes of the alternator half of coupling, putting the rubbers in with straps over top of engine side vanes would put excessive pressure on the shallower alternator side coupler which would then load the alternator bearings axially.

In the opening poster's post, it looks like the straps were pinched plumb off in 3 places.

Of course, if the two coupler halves are the same depth, it matters not IMHO.
Last edited by CrystalPistol on Sun May 31, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

ct1500

Post by ct1500 »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:40 pm
The rubber straps across pairs of damper rubbers go into engine half of drive coupling first as I recall,
Two of the machines I have been into were original owner and no one had ever done any alternator work previously. I install them back in how they were from the factory. :?:
This is what I do

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:40 pm
The rubber straps across pairs of damper rubbers go into engine half of drive coupling first as I recall,...
Page 17-2 of the 1998 GL1500 Service Manual seems to contradict that theory.

And then there is the parts fiche that corroborates it.

Makes it difficult to figure out which to believe.
Me? I think I will go with the Honda Service Manual.
MikeB
Retired in Tacoma, WA

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Timely conversation for me here. I'll try to remember to measure my two coupler halves next time. I can measure the alternator sides for CuF & OEM now, but I'd have to pull the one in the trike just to measure the engine side coupler depth. I only know how the rubbers were in last I looked.

It may be that the straps serve no purpose once in place? I know my alternator had been out before as it had Comp-u-Fire when I purchased it. Maybe CR (the PO) flipped them around for some reason like maybe it was just easier to get that fat sukker in there? :roll: You do have to hold your tongue a certain way. :)

Come to think on it, mine still has OEM rubbers (I know they are "pre 2004" anyway), think I'll order a set and slip them in place soon. Might be that low speed rumble I felt a few times …. "hard rubbers"?

… & Have a Safe Trip!