Gauges and Indicator Lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
jsthomps
Motorcycle: 1972 Kawaski H2

Gauges and Indicator Lights

Post by jsthomps »

Hi all,
I just pick up a 2000 GL1500 SE. The bike is in pretty good shape but there is an electrical issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with. First off the temperature gauge and the fuel gauge are dead. Second the five indicator lamps that should eliminate during the "lamp test" do not light up during the test. These are the Low fuel, Low oil, Reverse, Cruise on, and Cruise set lights. As per th PO the bulbs are good. The low oil light is dead as it does not light or stay lite prior to engine start. These guages and lights are all clustered near each other so Im wondering if a single issue is causing the fault. I currently do not have any schematics for the bike. I obviously cannot get the bike certified until I get this issue resolved. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott
Waterloo
Canada

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Re: Gauges and Indicator Lights

Post by MikeB »

I'm curious why you would buy this machine with these malfunctions?
Does everything else work or should I say, does anything else work?
Check the 'Tail Meter Position' fuse. I think it is fuse #8.

Or, the connector for the gauge cluster may be disconnected.
No matter, you will need to buy a Honda Service Manual. Looks like you are going to really need one.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

jsthomps

Post by jsthomps »

UPDATE
I just saw YouTube video of a tour of a 2000 Goldwing 1500 SE. I believe the owner is the gentleman who runs this forum. When he switched the ignition on of course all lights illuminated as we would expect but I didn't realize that General illumination was also lit up. I soon realized that a lot more electrical items are not functioning on this bike. This includes the illumination of the instrument cluster as well as the illumination of the audio system . I also realized that the cornering lights don't work either. I guess it's better to say what actually is working on this bike electrically:
The starter. The bike does start and runs fine
The headlights including highbeam
The audio system
The brake lights
The turn signals an four way flashers
The PO says the cruise control works
There must be one point of failure that is affecting all these systems. Perhaps a relay?
Scott

jsthomps

Post by jsthomps »

MikeB wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:07 am
I'm curious why you would buy this machine with these malfunctions? ....
Does everything else work or should I say, does anything else work? ....
No matter, you will need to buy a Honda Service Manual. Looks like you are going to really need one. ....
Thanks for the info and "pep talk". As a newbie goldwing owner and this being my first post here I hope your kind response does not reflect the tone of this this forum. As I discovered via research the problems i am having are most like due to one issue ... probably a relay. I was hoping that someone on this forum like Wingman could confirm this. Regardless thanks again!
Scott

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Don't be discouraged with how he responded to you about your problem. Maybe he is having a bad day. Most of the replies you will get here are friendly and trying to be helpful.
You need to check in the fuse panel fuse #8 (tail/meter/position). If that is good, then you need to look in the relay box and swap the #3 relay (main/tail). I would swap it with the #5 relay (air pump). See if one of those things will fix your trouble.
To get to the relay box, you will have to loosen the left saddlebag and move it out some to get the cover off that relay box.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

Just to add, go ahead and check all fuses and with key on remove and replace the relays one at a time listening for a click from that relay. Report back any not clicking and try swapping with another.
Attachments

Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

It sounds like fuse 8 is blown. It controls all of those things.

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

jsthomps wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:21 am
MikeB wrote:
No matter, you will need to buy a Honda Service Manual. Looks like you are going to really need one. ....
Thanks for the info and "pep talk". As a newbie goldwing owner and this being my first post here I hope your kind response does not reflect the tone of this this forum. As I discovered via research the problems i am having are most like due to one issue ... probably a relay. I was hoping that someone on this forum like Wingman could confirm this. Regardless thanks again!
Scott
I think you are a bit too thin skinned. I think it was a valid question. The Gold Wing is a pretty expensive motorcycle and most people look things over pretty extensively and I am curious how this was over looked. Did you buy it sight unseen?

Anyway, I did recommend that you check the 'Tail Meter Position' fuse. I think it is fuse #8. Did you miss that?

Sorry if it sounded bad but you will certainly need a service manual if you are going to work on your new bike.
MikeB
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

jsthomps

Post by jsthomps »

MikeB wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:58 am
jsthomps wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:21 am
MikeB wrote:
Scott
I think you are a bit too thin skinned. I think it was a valid question. The Gold Wing is a pretty expensive motorcycle and most people look things over pretty extensively and I am curious how this was over looked. Did you buy it sight unseen?

Anyway, I did recommend that you check the 'Tail Meter Position' fuse. I think it is fuse #8. Did you miss that?

Sorry if it sounded bad but you will certainly need a service manual if you are going to work on your new bike.
I bought this 2000 GL1500 SE in pristine condition from guy who bought it new in 2000. The only problem with the bike is this electrical issue ... I paid $1400 USD for this bike. I hope this answers you question to your satisfaction.
Scott
Attachments

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Looks like you got one heck of a deal.

Have you had time to check fuse #8. It is the most probably cause of the issue.
MikeB
Retired in Tacoma, WA

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

That is a beautiful motorcycle! You got an outstanding deal on it also, probably because of the electrical issues. I would have thought it would go for over twice that amount.

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

It is important to note that Fuse #8 also controls Relay #3. So Relay #3 may be an issue.

Relay #3 is notorious for causing multiple issues. It is loaded from the factory with just about all it can carry current wise. When we add lights and trailer hitches to pull our trailers with more lights, we overload that relay.

The contacts in the relay panel get hot because of resistance and higher current flow. They eventually start to melt the plastic around the female contacts that are in the relay panel. When the plastic starts to heat and the contacts start to develop more resistance the issues cascade.

Not saying that is the issue but it is something to look at down the road if you can not fix this with a fuse or relay replacement.
MikeB
Retired in Tacoma, WA

jsthomps

Post by jsthomps »

Thanks to all who responded.
All fuses including #8 TOK.
I'm now working on getting access to the relay box to check relay #3. No so easy as I'm sure you all know.
Scott

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

If you remove four the screws that hold the saddlebag to the frame, you can move the saddlebag out far enough so you can take the relay box cover off. You do not have to move the saddle bag much to get the cover off. If you want to get behind the relay panel, you will need to remove the saddlebag.
MikeB
Retired in Tacoma, WA

jsthomps

Post by jsthomps »

MikeB wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:20 pm
Looks like you got one heck of a deal.

Have you had time to check fuse #8. It is the most probably cause of the issue.
Thanks ... Fuse 8 is TOK. Now trying to access relay 3
Scott

jsthomps

Post by jsthomps »

MikeB wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:15 pm
If you remove four the screws that hold the saddlebag to the frame, you can move the saddlebag out far enough so you can take the relay box cover off. You do not have to move the saddle bag much to get the cover off. If you want to get behind the relay panel, you will need to remove the saddlebag.
Thanks MikeB I will give it a try

jsthomps

Post by jsthomps »

What is Wrong with this picture?

Though all fuses tested OK:
Fuse 1 should be 5 amps but had a 10 amp fuse in place
Fuse 9 should be 5 amps but had a 15 amp fuse in place
Fuse 11 should be 15 amps but had a 5 amp fuse in place
What a mess! This is not good!

Still trying to get to the relay box. Even though I have removed the 4 screws securing the saddle bag there still doesn't seem to be enough room to pop the cover off but I will keep at it.
Scott

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

I think I left out a step, I think the seat will have to come off to give you the wiggle room you need.

I apologize, I have never done it this way. I have always just removed the seat, the the under trunk cover and the left saddlebag corner and the left saddlebag light sand then the saddlebag. I have heard that removing the four screws would work to give you enough room to take off the cover but never tried it myself.

I have no idea why the fuses are mish-mashed like that. Maybe a well meaning PO had something to do with that. As long as they are all good I suppose it is okay, just put them back where they belong and test the systems.
MikeB
Retired in Tacoma, WA

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

I think, the PO just swapped the #9 and #11 fuses by mistake, because there is no logic of doing that.
For the #1 fuse, I can see a wire connected to the ACC terminal, and there must be something added or sometimes connected (like a portable air compressor using a cigarette lighter port) to the bike drawing more than 5amp.

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:33 am
I think, the PO just swapped the #9 and #11 fuses by mistake, because there is no logic of doing that.
For the #1 fuse, I can see a wire connected to the ACC terminal, and there must be something added or sometimes connected (like a portable air compressor using a cigarette lighter port) to the bike drawing more than 5amp.
That is a good assumption.
MikeB
Retired in Tacoma, WA

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Post by bigsteveswing »

MikeB wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:27 pm
I have heard that removing the four screws would work to give you enough room to take off the cover but never tried it myself.
I can confirm this as I just did it to change my high beam headlight relay. Works exactly as it should.
BTW, there is great video of this on the goldwingdocs youtube channel

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
Big Steve
Keep America Strong: Weld It
8-)

jsthomps

Post by jsthomps »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the help. Swapping out Relay #3 solved the problem(s). :D
I ordered a replacement from the GoldwingDocs store.
For curiosity I tested Relay #3. The coil is not open but reads 100 ohms. Does anyone know what the coil resistance should be?
One again Thanks,
Scott

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

jsthomps wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:56 pm
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the help. Swapping out Relay #3 solved the problem(s). :D
I ordered a replacement from the GoldwingDocs store.
For curiosity I tested Relay #3. The coil is not open but reads 100 ohms. Does anyone know what the coil resistance should be?
One again Thanks,
Scott
I just checked one of mine, it reads 100 ohm.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

Coils rarely fail, it's the contacts that go bad. Just hearing a click doesn't mean it's good. That's why you test with a meter, test light, or do a swap to confirm a bad relay.

jsthomps

Post by jsthomps »

i thought that the relay swap solved all my electrical problems but not so. the gauges and indicator lights now work but all the illumination lights still do not function. this includes all the back lights for the dashboard, left and right handlebar controls and audio system controls. i thought that all illumination lights were controlled by relay 3 but i guess i was wrong. any ideas? all fuses test OK.
scott