The fog lights don't turn on, what do I do? (no encienden los faros de niebla, que hago?)

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Falcom54
Motorcycle: 1997 GL 1500 SE

The fog lights don't turn on, what do I do? (no encienden los faros de niebla, que hago?)

Post by Falcom54 »

The fog lights don't turn on, what do I do? the 2 that go ahead of the engine head.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: The fog lights don't turn on, what do I do? (no encienden los faros de niebla, que hago?)

Post by CrystalPistol »

They aren't fog lights, they are turn illumination lamps, they come on when their side's signal light is activated so you get extra illumination in the direction you intend to turn. The right one comes on when you signal right and the left comes on when you signal left.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Falcom54

Re: The fog lights don't turn on, what do I do? (no encienden los faros de niebla, que hago?)

Post by Falcom54 »

I understood that they are fixed lights or perhaps I did not explain well, they are the ones at the front at the bottom in front of the engine heads.

Falcom54

Post by Falcom54 »

en esta imagen son los que estamos hablando.
Attachments

Falcom54

Post by Falcom54 »

38/5000
these do not turn on when opening the switch.

Falcom54

Post by Falcom54 »

I read the information from cbx4evr, and I am going to see how I change them by LEDs and leave them fixed with the switch

Falcom54

Post by Falcom54 »

Thanks CrystalPistol I am going to review the system and see how I put them to turn on with the switch. Gracias por contestar tan acertádamente, no sabía que habían cambiado, ya que mi moto anterior era una 99 SE y las tenia encendidas siempre.
Thanks for answering so accurately, I did not know that they had changed, since my previous motorcycle was a 99 SE and I always had them on.

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Falcom54 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:39 pm
Thanks CrystalPistol I am going to review the system and see how I put them to turn on with the switch. Gracias por contestar tan acertádamente, no sabía que habían cambiado, ya que mi moto anterior era una 99 SE y las tenia encendidas siempre.
Thanks for answering so accurately, I did not know that they had changed, since my previous motorcycle was a 99 SE and I always had them on.
As I recall, there's just a wire gets clipped on a relay on each side, I had to hook it back up on mine as Prior Owner had clipped them. Mine are back like OEM now. You can get LED kits from Cyclemax, etc that change them to on all time lights.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Remove the lower fairing with the lights in them. The relays are on each side of the frame just above the lights. As I recall you can remove the green wire from the relays on both sides to make the lights stay on. Use a small jeweler's screwdriver to release the green wire terminal in the connector and tape it back to the harness so you can re-install it later if you decide to go back to the OEM configuration. These lights get mighty hot when they are on continually so the lights can be ruined over some time. I have converted mine to LED so that they are on with the brightness of tail lights and when I turn on the directional signals these light up as bright as stop lights which gives me a larger visibility to oncoming traffic and also gives more light for turning. But, I found in my case I had to reverse polarity to make the LEDs work.
Russell

If I don't use Facebook or Twitter do I still have to do Social Media Distancing????
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

And the OEM bulbs aren't cheap.

Yeah, if you're going to leave them on always, look for cooler bulbs.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Falcom54

Post by Falcom54 »

ok, i will see if the relay cables you mention are cut, thanks and greetings from Mexico ...

Falcom54

Post by Falcom54 »

Thanks Charlie1Horse I appreciate the information, Greetings ...

Falcom54

Post by Falcom54 »

Thanks CrystalPistol I am going to put leds to it, so you don't have the heating problem. Cheers...

Falcom54

Post by Falcom54 »

Thanks CrystalPistol, in the information regarding the connection of the relay that you mention in the fairing, do you or anyone else have any photos of that area? or any copy taken from the manual, I will appreciate your comments. Thank you...

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Falcom54 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:51 pm
Regarding the connection of the relay that you mention in the fairing, do you or anyone else have any photos of that area? or any copy taken from the manual, I will appreciate your comments. Thank you...
I think this is the pictures you are asking for. You cut the green wire in the harness going to the relay to make the lights stay on all the time. Alternatively, you can use a jewelers screwdriver or similar to remove the pin from the connector so it can be put back to OEM style easily.

Falcom54

Post by Falcom54 »

bellboy40 Ok, I'm going to do what you tell me, and I'll tell you if it worked, Thanks for your help ...