GL1500 seat rain cover

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

GL1500 seat rain cover

Post by agedbikeman »

I read somewhere that on the SE model, there is a roll out seat raincover rolled up in a pouch at the back of the seat, so I thought, (only having the Aspencade), "I Want One".
It's amazing what you can do with a pair of unwanted thin waterproof overtrouses, a bit of elastic, 2 bra hooks a sewing machine and 8 WEEKS OF LOCKDOWN!!!.
The pouch in the back of the seat has some sort of plastic clip, that took me about 1/2 an hour to find out how to undo it, impossible to do with the seat on, having opened it, I remove the sponge in a plastic bag.

this is the sponge filler
this is the sponge filler

I then picked the stitches and removed the plastic clip thing, then proceeded to sew a zip in it's place.

Had to balance the seat on crates of beer to get the angle for the sewing machine. Didn't drink any, Honest!!
Had to balance the seat on crates of beer to get the angle for the sewing machine. Didn't drink any, Honest!!

I the sewed the zip in, very fiddley job, boy did I need some of that beer.
I the sewed the zip in, very fiddley job, boy did I need some of that beer.

Zip in its place
Zip in its place

I then cut the trousers across the crutch seam, one half was enough, after squaring it up I hemmed the cut edges by folding and pressing with a hot iron which stuck by melting the ruberised lining.

Sewed the bra hooks on to elastic and attached to the sides of the cover to hold it down in the wind
Sewed the bra hooks on to elastic and attached to the sides of the cover to hold it down in the wind

Finally here's a video of the finished project

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

I wanted this because I have an "Airhawk" seat cushion, takes 10 seconds to get soaked and 2 hours to dry out.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: GL1500 seat rain cover

Post by Rambozo »

Nice job.
Of course the rain always starts when you are away from your bike, and didn't put the cover on. :twisted: