Tulsa no more... Well only half

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Tulsa no more... Well only half

Post by Elmobile »

A few days ago I was reading a post from "thebruce", viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56134&sid=c760fa527 ... 13#p332928, which reminded me of my last run under a misty rain at dusk. That evening I decided that my Tulsa windshield had to go. I have the Madstad on my wish list but not in a position to buy it today. Had to do something. So after a few more "research" on the internet this is what happened.
Some are going to call for murder but thank you for the inspiration thebruce... Now I can see over the windshield and feel a lot more safer.

My first step was to place a piece of tape in the center of the windshield so that I could see above it. It landed at 20" from the rubber seal at the bottom.<br />I then took a short ride to confirm its position. When I came back to my shop, I stopped with the tape line up with the bottom of the door. I measured 25ft between the door and the front wheel. Exactly what I had read on the internet... Good enought!
My first step was to place a piece of tape in the center of the windshield so that I could see above it. It landed at 20" from the rubber seal at the bottom.
I then took a short ride to confirm its position. When I came back to my shop, I stopped with the tape line up with the bottom of the door. I measured 25ft between the door and the front wheel. Exactly what I had read on the internet... Good enought!

I then went ahead and marked the center line of the windshield...
I then went ahead and marked the center line of the windshield...

I taped a few pieces of paper together and lined one edge with my center line to cover half the windshield. I hand traced what I thought would look like a nice profile from the center to the bottom edge.<br />I removed my sketch and cut it along the line to make my template which went right back on the windshield. <br />I first used it to place some short piece of tape under it and draw a line using a crayon to trace both halves.
I taped a few pieces of paper together and lined one edge with my center line to cover half the windshield. I hand traced what I thought would look like a nice profile from the center to the bottom edge.
I removed my sketch and cut it along the line to make my template which went right back on the windshield.
I first used it to place some short piece of tape under it and draw a line using a crayon to trace both halves.

This is what it looked like when the tracing was completed...
This is what it looked like when the tracing was completed...

Not sure what would happened during the cut, I decided to do a sample cut in the bottom corner. Should anything bad happened, I may still have a functional windshield...<br />I opened up a relief for the blade to be able to exit the cut toward the outside of the windshield.
Not sure what would happened during the cut, I decided to do a sample cut in the bottom corner. Should anything bad happened, I may still have a functional windshield...
I opened up a relief for the blade to be able to exit the cut toward the outside of the windshield.

First corner is cut. A lot easier than I first thought. Now fully committed to do the remaining.
First corner is cut. A lot easier than I first thought. Now fully committed to do the remaining.

I cut it in section. This pics is from the right side but I was cutting about 6 to 8" at a time only. Allowed me to keep a clamp close to the blade keeping the vibrations to a minimum.
I cut it in section. This pics is from the right side but I was cutting about 6 to 8" at a time only. Allowed me to keep a clamp close to the blade keeping the vibrations to a minimum.

Almost done! The last inch need to be done. Notice the clamps holding the loose piece from falling off!
Almost done! The last inch need to be done. Notice the clamps holding the loose piece from falling off!

My weapon of choice for this job! My faithful skill saw fully loaded with a bi-metal blade, 14 teeth per inch ( Benchmark 1217-006 ).<br />The key was to keep the speed of advance and scrolling very slow.  Too fast and the plastic will melt. You can feel it...<br />The shoe plate is covered with Duck tape to prevent scratching the windshield. Worked like a charm...
My weapon of choice for this job! My faithful skill saw fully loaded with a bi-metal blade, 14 teeth per inch ( Benchmark 1217-006 ).
The key was to keep the speed of advance and scrolling very slow. Too fast and the plastic will melt. You can feel it...
The shoe plate is covered with Duck tape to prevent scratching the windshield. Worked like a charm...

The end result. I have not sanded the edges yet as I want to test drive it first, in case it needs any adjustment.
The end result. I have not sanded the edges yet as I want to test drive it first, in case it needs any adjustment.

Went for a ride the next day. Looking above the windshield is what I like and this one is now tailored to my liking... The day was VERY windy so no way to say much about the protection from the windshield. When the rain and the wind stop, I will let you know how it feels :P
So far I like the look a lot better and the feel as well.
Cheers.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Tulsa no more... Well only half

Post by CrystalPistol »

Great Job.

Over the years, I cut several down for my 1200 and I've cut the F4 on my trike twice, fine tuning the top edge last time. I also cut for a vent that I took out of a Tulsa that was given to me, I even then cut the Tulsa down to where I just had the vent hole and about 2" around it, to use as my pattern but I did that in sections on my bandsaw. For trimming on the bike I've always used a Makita variable speed sabre saw with fine tooth metal blade on a low speed, after my first attempt when the melted plastic rewelded itself behind my cut. I usually use a long string with pencil to mark my cut line as an arc with a center way down at top center headlight, and 5 pound coffee can plastic lid to make my corners round. From the vent down I applied matte black adhesive backed vinyl to cover the dash area.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

Looking nice.
I like the idea of the black vinyl covering the dash area. I'll get a piece as soon as the wrapping shop in town open again...

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Elmobile wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:08 pm
Looking nice.
I like the idea of the black vinyl covering the dash area. I'll get a piece as soon as the wrapping shop in town open again...
I like how it covers the hard to clean W-shield between the vent & dash rubber. I bought that and other off Ebay in rolls.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)