Buzz vibration under load

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
dnt13
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

Buzz vibration under load

Post by dnt13 »

2000 GL1500 SE ~ 40,000 km
I have a buzzing sound and vibration that seems to be coming from the engine area when the motor is lugged and working hard Eg: accelerating in a gear too high or when climbing a hill. It’s not a metallic sound - almost sounds like vibrating plastic and it buzzes the footpegs. The noise and vibration go away with increased speed and/or gearing down so the engine is not overloaded. Anybody else experience this? Not sure I had this before I changed to hi output alternator. I removed the new alt to check rotation and it spins freely. Yes, I replaced the rubber alt drive dampers. Thinking maybe I should check timing belt tension? I replaced the belts about 15,000 km ago but they shouldn’t stretch, correct? Someone said it’s possibly a U-joint problem but vibration is only under load and on acceleration and there’s only 40,000 km on it! After speeding up a bit or gearing down everything is completely smooth. Decelerating from speed is also completely smooth - no vibration whatsoever. Thoughts before I dive in without knowing what I should be looking for?
Dennis

Last edited by dnt13 on Sun May 10, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Buzz vibration under load

Post by DenverWinger »

Hi Dennis,
I kinda think you are looking for a problem where there isn't one. If you are lugging the engine, you are most likely just feeling the individual power pulses from each cylinder as the engine slowly turns. I would expect this on heavy throttle at low RPM.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

When you feel the vibration, you can pull in the clutch to isolate the problem whether it is caused by engine or drive system.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

dnt13 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:46 pm
I have a buzzing sound and vibration that seems to be coming from the engine area when the motor is lugged and working hard Eg: accelerating in a gear too high or when climbing a hill. It’s not a metallic sound - almost sounds like vibrating plastic and it buzzes the footpegs. The noise and vibration go away with increased speed and/or gearing down so the engine is not overloaded. Anybody else experience this? Not sure I had this before I changed to hi output alternator. I removed the new alt to check rotation and it spins freely. Yes, I replaced the rubber alt drive dampers. Thinking maybe I should check timing belt tension? I replaced the belts about 15,000 km ago but they shouldn’t stretch, correct? Someone said it’s possibly a U-joint problem but vibration is only under load and on acceleration and there’s only 40,000 km on it! After speeding up a bit or gearing down everything is completely smooth. Decelerating from speed is also completely smooth - no vibration whatsoever. Thoughts before I dive in without knowing what I should be looking for?
Dennis
Well, there you go. A solution looking for a problem? It's a 6 x 250cc cylinder engine of 4 stroke type with but three power pulses each revolution. The obvious cure you desire is to yank that engine out, split it open, mill out all the guts … and install a big electric motor to cure it … and haul batteries in the trailer.

You're killing it knowingly lugging it.

The 1500s have 5,500 rpm redlines, they are tuned to make power lower down than the 1200s were, but 3,000 or 4,000 ain't hurting it. The 1200s are even worse when abused by lugging under load in a higher gear, but they are 4 x 300CC cylinders & only have 2 power pulses per revolution. Any load, it was happiest at 2,500 or 3,000 rpm and above. 7,500 rpm redline. Luxury car makers used V-12 & V-16s back in the earlier days of the automobile when low rpm power was vogue, to smooth the power delivery. They knew how to build big 4 or 6 cylinder engines cheaper with fewer parts, but they would throb like a ship's engine.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

eastkytriker
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Post by eastkytriker »

dnt13 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:46 pm
Dennis
My 1500 has the same problem. It started when I replaced the Alternator with then high output one (From China i'm sure) I also replaced the rubber dampers. Getting the OEM rebuilt to put back in service hopefully it will cure the vibration.

thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Post by thebruce »

I agree with CrystalPistol.

If it makes funny noises lugging it, don't do that. Stay in the sweet spot.

Mmmm... sweet spot.

Not helping anything by making it to 5th before at least 80km/h (roundabout 50mph).
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

thebruce wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:13 pm
I agree with CrystalPistol.

If it makes funny noises lugging it, don't do that. Stay in the sweet spot.

Mmmm... sweet spot.

Not helping anything by making it to 5th before at least 80km/h (roundabout 50mph).
Yep,a vibration resulting from an alternator is not going to smooth out at higher RPMs. Man uses the word "lugging" and he even writes "The noise and vibration go away with increased speed and/or gearing down so the engine is not overloaded", he described the cause. Ain't the alternator neither.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)