Coil removal - question on coolant reserve tank

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
chuckcal
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Coil removal - question on coolant reserve tank

Post by chuckcal »

1990 SE - I am replacing a coil, first time digging this far into the bike. The carbs are unseated, and I have removed the bolt holding the coolant reserve tank, but it won't pull out, doesn't seem like enough clearance to pull out the top? Is there a trick to remove the coolant reserve tank?

Thanks

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: Coil removal - question on coolant reserve tank

Post by Charlie1Horse »

You have to remove both coil pack mounting bolts and then push the coil pack down enough to remove the coolant reservoir. Then you can pull the coil pack up where you can work with it. But don't replace one coil. Replace all three of them. The other two are as old as the one that has gone bad. I just replaced all three coils and all six spark plug wires on my 92 Interstate. I bought all the parts for $300.00 approx from partzilla.com. Now it runs better than it did when I bought it six years ago. I replaced all three coils because I don't ever want to go through that pita job again. All the instructions are in the OEM service manual.
Russell

If I don't do Facebook or Twitter, do I still have to do Social Media Distancing????
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Charlie1Horse
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

While you're at it put some dielectric grease on every connector you plug in to keep moisture out and therefore no corrosion and resistance on the connectors.
Russell

If I don't do Facebook or Twitter, do I still have to do Social Media Distancing????
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

chuckcal

Post by chuckcal »

That helped, thanks. Got the tank out, and you are right about changing all 3 coils while I am in there.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

I am just wondering how you decided to replace the coils? Have you measured the primary and secondary resistances of the coils, if so, would you share the readings?

chuckcal

Post by chuckcal »

This is my first goldwing, it was running, but I measured MPG on 2 tanks and realized something pretty wrong (20mpg). Tested spark at each plug, cylinders 5 and 6 were not firing. Checked the resistances of the secondarys. 1-2 was fine about 22k, 3-4 was the same, but 5-6 was 17.9k

I had no clue if 17.9k indicates a failure, or just means it might deliver a weak spark... but, on lockdown in IL, so decided to dig in. The primary connectors were pretty dirty/corroded, especially on 5-6, I was hoping that a good cleaning was my resolution... but, nope, no changes to resistances, and I turned it over hoping I might see spark, no luck. So waiting on coils. Not looking forward to properly routing the plug wires into the guides. But, I am looking forward to how it runs on 6 cylinders since I am pretty sure it hasn't since I got it last fall.

Charlie1Horse
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

That's exactly what mine was measuring. I was out on a Patriot Guard Mission and about two miles from the house it started dropping two cylinders. Still running strong, (not good), but I made the mission to the cemetery and back. I got to checking the resistance and found that the number three coil was defective across the secondary and then I unplugged the connector from the control module and the primary on number three was also way out of spec, only running on four cylinders.Mother Honda wanted $130.00 a piece so I found OEM coils on partzilla.com for about $85.00 each. I got all three coils and all six wires for the same as Honda wanted for just the coils, about $300.00 total. It needs a little carb work but it runs pretty good for now and a little later I will get the carbs done. Patriot Guard Riders--Standing For Those Who Stood For Us
Russell

If I don't do Facebook or Twitter do I still have to do Social Media Distancing????

chuckcal

Post by chuckcal »

Just a follow up in case someone searches this topic in the future.

Once the coolant reserve tank came out, removing the coils and wires is pretty easy, take photos of the wire routing before removal unless you have the service manual. I ordered these cheapish ebay coils

Mark the plug boots, I didn't notice they were different. I disassembled the boot from each wire by unscrewing the terminal inside the boot, letting the resistor thing fall out, then push the wire through (this was a hassle). Snip the soldered on button at end of wire, then pull the wire out the top of the boot.
I cleaned up the button, re-drilled a hole in it for the new plug core wire. Push the new wire through the plug boot. For a couple I had to remove a hard plastic piece that holds the resistor, slide wire through, then push the plastic piece back into boot. Solder the button on, file it flat, pull wire into place in boot. Insert resistor, screw in the terminal. Test secondary resistance to ensure contacts all good.

Nothing special of note when reassembling, the coils and wires go in easier because they are still flexible unlike the wires I removed.

The coils I used aren't Honda OEM parts, but, in my case, the resistance on primary and secondary was in spec, and after assembly I checked spark on 2, 4, and 6, the spark was noticeably stronger than before they were replaced. I can now tell the difference between what a 6 cylinder 1500 should sound like, and what it sounded like before I started.