Crank no start 98 GW se w/ 59,000 mls

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
tom hanning
Motorcycle: 98 goldwing 1500 se

Crank no start 98 GW se w/ 59,000 mls

Post by tom hanning »

Here's a good one. Question: 1) is a 95 factory service manual the same as a 98 service manual. I know its like me as in not new. And it has mls on it as I do. Ok. Every thing started acting up last fall. Quit running at about 1/4 tank. Found out issue about gas cap. Then - no start -> intermittent reverse switch. New one now. Riding down free way -> acted up again almost quit running then stalled. 5 min, was able to get it running again. Ran like h** again yaaaaa. Got home. Got on it again going to garage, and guess what- yep no run. checked every thing again -ordered fuel pump, was guessing it was bad. And --- not the issue. Deep dive now. Kill switch on right throttle is ok. Fuel pump works ok in by pass. also cranking. Fuses all ok, Relays ok. ign ok. pulled ECM and checked pins. wiring to ECM ok by way of schematic. Fuel filter ok. Last year did tune up--. plugs, FF, coolant, o/ change, A/f, and new front tire. HAS ANY ONE HAD to R&R a ECM ???? Would love to know if 95 service manual is same as 98 manual ? ????? O and it has spark. weird thing choke on full. starting fluid ---> no run. I wrenched for 35 yrs on med / heavy trucks. Ya I know its not a truck. LOL Who's the man. I'm down to needing a ECM & 98 service manual with wiring diagram. What say you all.

tom hanning

Re: Crank no start 98 GW se w/ 59,000 mls

Post by tom hanning »

Also new timing belts R&R about 50 to 100 mls ago.

tom hanning

Post by tom hanning »

Also new timing belts R&R about 50 to 100 mls ago.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 »

Sounds all good, , , , EXCEPT these dam beasts "require" a helluva lot of juice to fire up. How old is the battery and what is the voltage with "no load" compared to voltage "with load"? Your DVM should show 12.5v+ with no load, , and you'll need 10.8-11.0+ volts WITH a load.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

It has spark and it will not even attempt to run with starting fluid, not even a pop? Something wrong right there.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

Can it be something related with the work in the timing belt area? Since you mentioned you have changed the timing belts, loose/broken/damaged pulse generator wires may be the culprit.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Very few differences from '93 all the way to the 2000 model, the '95 manual will be suitable. Many changes from '88-92 though.

If you have spark this suggests the ECM is OK.... But you should have gotten something from the starting fluid, at least a pop. Have you confirmed spark at all 6 plugs? Unscrew them and check for fouled?
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

ct1500

Post by ct1500 »

DenverWinger wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:02 am
Very few differences from '93 all the way to the 2000 model, the '95 manual will be suitable. Many changes from '88-92 though.
What were the many changes from "90 to "92? :?:
This is what I do

tom hanning

Post by tom hanning »

Hi All. Thx for the input. I replaced the alt last spring. I installed a small LED volt gauge to watch what if any thing was goofy. It was running 12.8 -13 volts steady. Battery is great. Good connections on post. I started thinking I should recheck belts. Got them from NAPA. I had read up on post before doing any thing. I'll post if I win getting it to run again. This year has been a mess here in ohio. Snow -rain-over cast & cold. So I have time. Still cant wate till sun comes out more than 2- 3 days a week.

ct1500

Post by ct1500 »

Typical dismal charging voltages for a late model SE with OEM alternator if your gauge matches true voltage at battery. Start investigating the battery due to chronic undercharging and think about an alternator upgrade. What do you get for running@idle battery voltage with OEM brake lights and fans on, low 11's?
This is what I do

tom hanning

Post by tom hanning »

Hay all. Well I checked belts- timing alignment placement. All were spot on. Its getting to the point I can remove fairing with my eyes closed. LOL I have removed the left side fairing like 5-6 times now. I got bike from ebay last spring. Came out of Arkansas. After getting into it, I think it was road hard & put away wet. Had to replace fairing this winter parts cracking & falling apart. Found 3 of 4 bolts broken holding side boxes. Rear tire R&R is my guess. Well tomorrow is a new day, will see how it goes. LOL

wezx
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Post by wezx »

I have been surprised by how susceptible these bikes are to even a slightly marginal battery. I ride the bike constantly year round. Went out one day I think in March after having ridden the day before and the bike cranked, and I mean cranked fast and strong, but wouldn’t even try to start. I looked at the kill switch and whether I had gas...checked the battery, had good voltage. Put it on the charger and even then it still just cranked strong...not a hint of starting. After reading here on the forum about how these bikes are about batteries I bit the bullet and bought a new one...Boom! Instantly started. Been fine ever since.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

wezx wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:44 pm
I have been surprised by how susceptible these bikes are to even a slightly marginal battery. I ride the bike constantly year round. Went out one day I think in March after having ridden the day before and the bike cranked, and I mean cranked fast and strong, but wouldn’t even try to start. I looked at the kill switch and whether I had gas...checked the battery, had good voltage. Put it on the charger and even then it still just cranked strong...not a hint of starting. After reading here on the forum about how these bikes are about batteries I bit the bullet and bought a new one...Boom! Instantly started. Been fine ever since.
Not only the battery or aging/loose/corroded wires and connectors, but also the circuit design (many connections on the ignition circuit behave like a voltage devider) are dropping voltage on the road to the ECU and the ignition coils.
So I recommend this modification that I have done almost 5 years ago, which provides direct battery voltage to the ECU and ignition coils by means of a relay.
I have been using the same lead acid battery (at least 5 years old) that was on the bike when I bought it.
And, once I tried to start the bike at a very low voltage (engine barely cranked after a headlight adjustment work), it started just after a few seconds.

tom hanning

Post by tom hanning »

Up date. Yep good news after taking a few day off. Was able to make smoke, A diesel mechanic saying. Well I pulled the max factor and rerouted the flex capacitor to reboot and wa la smoke. LOL I was in the navy seabees and we enjoy life in any way we can. Ok i'll decipher what I just said. In short it was oil film had some how blow ? back into the carbs. I had even drained the hoses back when I R&R timing belts ( a drop or two of oil ). Before getting into air cleaner I check to see if I had spark at all 6 plugs = yes had spark. It's true must have " suck squeeze spark blow ". The thing that didn't make sense was no start with starting fluid. Even checked the fluid, have gotten a bad can once. Now I got to put the bike back together again. Thank you all for you time dropping a line. I think i'll do as Erdeniz Umman stated soon. I have had that issue also. It made since to me. I wish you all a good day cometh. Fair weather & good roads, and great people.

wallyos
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE
2017 S1000R

Post by wallyos »

Could you please list the link to the articleaboutr fixing "cranks no start". I am having difficulty locating it in search.

Thanks