I TOOK APART CARBS....FLOAT IS NOT STUCK

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
tkkiguy
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 SE

I TOOK APART CARBS....FLOAT IS NOT STUCK

Post by tkkiguy »

Hey guys...i took apart my carbs just now..as you can see the float and needle looked fine ...no debris...very clean...what else should i check without getting too far into right carb that was pumping fuel. any other cleaning to assure that float wont stick again ???

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: I TOOK APART CARBS....FLOAT IS NOT STUCK

Post by ct1500 »

Float valve along with the float bowl gasket prolly worn out which need replacing for a long lasting trouble free repair.:!: Could be a heavy float too.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

tkkiguy

Post by tkkiguy »

As i put float back on with needle and i flipped it back and forth it seems to be free from any disfunction...the stupid thing i had done was let bike sit for 10 months...so would it be a good idea then to get new floats and gaskets ?

tkkiguy

Post by tkkiguy »

Is there a way to test ? Pour fuel in the line ?

fnickel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Post by fnickel »

Yes, you should bench test the carbs before reinstalling them. Use something with a nozzle to force fuel into the line. I used a Siracha bottle. Then you will be able to see if the float valve is shutting off the fuel supply successfully. I also measured the amount of fuel in each carb by draining the fuel and measuring the volume. That's a good test for your float level. When putting the carbs back on the bike, you want to start it up and check to make sure everything is OK before you put all the Tupperware back on the bike. You will save yourself a lot of time if something isn't right.

tkkiguy

Post by tkkiguy »

Thanks...did it...no more hassle...runs like a charm...1990 gl1500.....102,525 miles...still gotta lot of life yet...y'all are very helpful on this site for years....thanks again.