Carb sync screw missing!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Ted Cooper
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE Sidecar outfit

Carb sync screw missing!

Post by Ted Cooper »

Today I was going to sync the carbs on my 1991 GL1500SE,but,the damn sync screw is missing,not there,gone! I've poked around in there with a long magnet,hoping to retrieve it,but no luck there. Maybe its been gone a while!

Does anyone know what size this screw is? Is it a special type of screw,or just a standard screw with a spring? What size; looks like it could be 5mm? The parts fiche doesn't mention this. Also,how long is the spring? Nothing in the Clymer manual about it.

When,if,I get the right screw and spring,I then have the joyful task of getting the screw/spring,in place!.

Anyone got any tips?

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Carb sync screw missing!

Post by ct1500 »

If missing I think it would be running very poorly :?: Do you have the rubber plug removed from fan housing?
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

gipsy42
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE
1978 GL1000

Post by gipsy42 »

I have a set of carbs of a GL1000, and believe Honda uses same bolts in every model.
The thing is a hex head bolt with a slot, 5 mm x 25 mm long , the spring is 16 mm long.
I would turn (or grind out) the threads for about 2 mm from the end and round it to make a lead, then light glued to a 8mm socket and a long extension to reach the carb, that may help in getting him in place.
I hope this helps.
Mario
Mario
aka Gipsy42
And still riding...
I just regrets the things I haven't done.

http://www.surfcam.com.ar
http://www.cre-angeles.org.ar

Ted Cooper
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE Sidecar outfit

Post by Ted Cooper »

gipsy42 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:33 pm
I have a set of carbs of a GL1000, and believe Honda uses same bolts in every model.
The thing is a hex head bolt with a slot, 5 mm x 25 mm long , the spring is 16 mm long.
I would turn (or grind out) the threads for about 2 mm from the end and round it to make a lead, then light glued to a 8mm socket and a long extension to reach the carb, that may help in getting him in place.
I hope this helps.
Mario
I found the bugger! It was laying in a fold in the rubber mat below the carbs,the mat that lays on top of the intake manifolds. The spring was still on the screw.

Now,all I have to do is get it screwed back in there.

Thanks Mario