Gas smell

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
JPochron
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade

Gas smell

Post by JPochron »

My friend has a 93 SE trike and when he starts it he has to choke it and after it starts there is a gas smell but no leaks. We both had our carbs rebuilt last year and they ran great and started right up no choke. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look or check for the gas leak. Thanks

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Gas smell

Post by ct1500 »

What parts were replaced in the rebuilds? Is the choke needed for just cold, warm or hot? You will not find all possible leak areas without a bunch of plastic removal especially if around the carbs. I would be leaning towards a leak around the carbs seeing as how it is difficult to start so something going on there. Does it have CA emissions?
Last edited by ct1500 on Wed May 20, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

Have you been eating burritos?

JPochron
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade

Post by JPochron »

No California emissions. Not sure what we all replaced in the rebuild had a mechanic rebuild them. Since we are in Texas it's mostly warm weather starting. I haven't been riding much as I have some pieces needing to be painted and the painter hasn't gotten to them yet. But I start it often and have to use the choke also and it starts right up. We'll check some of the items you mentioned thanks for the repsonse.

89 1500
Motorcycle: 89, 1500 candy wineberry gone to another owner
92 Aspencade Cambridge blue

Post by 89 1500 »

Look at the gas cap and you can soak it in seafoam to clean it up. If it still smells then look at that contraption to the right and forward of the gas cap. People call it a petcock. It's a fuel shutoff that will leak. My 89 leaked and I didn't see any evidence right away but could smell the fuel. The 89 was my only transportation at the time so I couldn't have it down while I waited on parts so I eliminated it for the time being by adding a lengthened fuel line from the tank to a new filter. Rode it that way for 3 years then got bored one day and rebuilt the shut off valve and put it back on before I traded it off.