starting issue

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
aquainnwithawing
Motorcycle: 1988 GoldWing 1500

starting issue

Post by aquainnwithawing »

Hi,
I,m a new guy on the block.
I did something really stupid,bought a used 1988 Goldwing.
But that being said the last owner needed money and and got evicted due to much "stuff" in the back yard,in the garage and believe it of not parts on the kitchen table and toilet!
Now i ended up with more parts than the bike needs.

Now the problem,as soon as i hit the starter button the relays rattle the dash lights flash and the starter says huhh,then the relays rattle again. but the motor does not spin.

I pulled the plugs to give the starter some breathing room,hit the starter button and heard the relays rattle and then the starter fired up and spun the engine.

Now i put the plugs back one by one,after only 3 plugs the starter could no longer spin the engine.(the relays rattle but the starter does not turn)

My next move was direct power to the starter from the relay.(with an old car battery)
The starter spins the engine but very slowly,the jump wire gets hot too.

Does anyone have some tips on how to solve this issue?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rudi.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: starting issue

Post by Rambozo »

Sure sounds like not enough power. Do you have a new battery for it? 1500s need good power to start. Measure the voltage on the battery when cranking. If it isn't 10.5 or better, you can forget about it starting. AGM batteries are best for these bikes. Also check all power and ground connections for corrosion or looseness.

aquainnwithawing

Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
I got a new battery today,an acid one...."wet lead"
Will fill up with acid and charge for 8 hours.
The bike is in parts and looks like a home made bomb on wheels!
I will keep you posted!
Tomorrow is day two of the happy clap event of owning a bike again albeit in parts.
Rudi.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

If the machine is that rough you better get a shop manual to find your way around it, you'll need it.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

Rambozo

Post by Rambozo »

One thing I forgot is that you might want to change or at least check the timing belts before you start it.
If they break, you will damage the engine.
Plus one on getting a Honda service manual.
Also read through this forum and the various how to guides for the 1500 and you will learn a lot.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 »

The '88-'89 Goldwings use a fuel pump relay (under the trunk on right side) that will "click" and the other sound is the fuel pump, which has a 1-2 second "prime" that you might hear once the key is turned "ON".

Gates T-275 timing belts are easy to find, and cheap ($20 or so), and the job to change them is fairly easy once all the Tupperware is removed.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

If the starter is laboring that much there's a good chance it needs serviced - likely a new set of bushes. Sounds like things are somewhat disassembled, would be a good time to inspect / service the starter and I'd also replace the timing belts as already mentioned. When re-installing the starter you need to be sure to rotate it slightly until it "drops into place" to get the gears meshed. If you force it by trying to pull it in with the bolts a broken gear is often the result, then the engine has to come out of the frame.

How about some pictures?
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

aquainnwithawing

Thanks again for the tips!
Got new battery will pack it in later today.
Looks like lots of miles.
Attachments

miles lots of them!
miles lots of them!

The brut as found.
The brut as found.

Last edited by aquainnwithawing on Thu May 21, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

aquainnwithawing

bluthundr31 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:24 am
The '88-'89 Goldwings use a fuel pump relay (under the trunk on right side) that will "click" and the other sound is the fuel pump, which has a 1-2 second "prime" that you might hear once the key is turned "ON".

Gates T-275 timing belts are easy to find, and cheap ($20 or so), and the job to change them is fairly easy once all the Tupperware is removed.
Thanks for the tips,
I put the new battery in,after 3 starts it fit fired up and ran,but only on choke.
As soon as you close choke it dies.
I looked at the fuel filter and it fills to 1/4 looking from the top down.
Looks like it might be getting fuel through suction/vacuum only.
I don't hear a pump or click sound when the ignition it turned on.
Could fuel starvation be the issue?
Soon as a try to rev it up when warm it just wants to stall.
Rudi

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 »

GOOD TO HEAR IT RUNS!!!

Being that it was "parts" when you bought it, the PO was probably having troubles too. Get/replace those timing belts on as soon as practical though, a broken belt is like pulling the pin on a hand grenade and waiting for the "BOOM".

Since its running now, fill up with fresh fuel and mix in about 8-10 oz. of Seafoam with each tank (2 oz. per gallon seems to be a decent guesstimate). You want to clean out any crud build up in the fuel circuit and carbs/jets. Seafoam is your friend.

Check/replace those spark plugs with new, properly gapped ones too.

Open the gas cap door and start it up (choke if necessary). While idling, turn the Knurled knob slowly until it idles correctly without the choke. That knob is the idle adjustment screw. Be careful not to force it too much, you'll hear the engine smooth out with some adjusting.

aquainnwithawing

The old girl fires right up, runs for 4 seconds then drops rpm and dies.
After it died it restarted again back to 3500 rpm and then the same issue.
Sounds like pump not keeping up with fuel demand?
Rudi.

Rambozo

Post by Rambozo »

As far as miles, that is barely broken in, for a GoldWing.
Sounds like your carbs will need a good cleaning. That is typical for a bike that has sat.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 »

BEFORE tearing into the carbs, (which can cause additional headaches), verify the fuel pump "output" here;
viewtopic.php?t=24533#p135983

Consider a new fuel filter also, , gunk build-up could factor into the poor fuel level in carbs.
After fuel pump, and fuel filter, we will likely move on to the fuel petcock and carb floats.

aquainnwithawing

Well i must say progress here!
I undid the fuel hose and let some fuel out,the pump just gave a very low volume squirt.
I held my thumb against the fuel line and i could hod back the fuel with ease.
Removing the fuel cap helped a lot too.
During the run i sprayed quick start into the right side of the carb......voila up went the rpm.
so i can safely conclude fuel pump replacement and try again.
What would you recommend,overhaul the pump or buy new?
thanks.
Rudi

Rambozo

Post by Rambozo »

Check the flow volume of the pump. (21.6 oz per minute) The fuel pressure is very small, no trouble to hold it back with a finger. (2 or 3 psi)

ct1500

Post by ct1500 »

aquainnwithawing wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:52 pm
The bike is in parts and looks like a home made bomb on wheels!
What you got there is the same as opening the hood on your car, just some plastic removed.
This is what I do

aquainnwithawing

If i switch on the ignition the fuel flows but stops after 1 second.
The fuel filter does not fill up at all.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 »

Rambozo has best (IMHO) advice, , , DO the volume test before you "throw the baby out with the bath water". OEM fuel pumps are very pricey and at 32 yrs. old, , ,it is wise to be hesitant to go that route right now. There should be enough fuel in the carbs to run the beast for 5 seconds, , then multiply by 12 to get the gpm's. It should be about 20+ oz per minute.

My OEM fuel pump went belly-up and I replaced it with an aftermarket pump set-up for about $50, and it works flawlessly. If we have to, we can walk you through what you will need.

aquainnwithawing

It runs 3 second's.
The fuel filter does not even fill up.

aquainnwithawing

If you can send your cell phone number,we can video call and i can show you what it does.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 »

If you "ZOOM", send invite to a meeting to bluthundr31@yahoo.com (notice no "E's" in bluthundr).

Drain the fuel into a beaker without the fuel filter (especially if its clogged). If three seconds is all you can get, , multiply that amount by 20.

I'll PM you more about cellphone number.

Rambozo

Post by Rambozo »

Since you have running issues, it is much easier and less things to juggle to just unplug the fuel pump and hook it up to 12 volts for testing. Then you can concentrate on measuring the pressure and flow and give it some time to purge the air from the lines and listen to the pump for any odd noises without the engine running.
Next will be to test the petcock. Again easier with a hand vacuum pump with the engine off. Finally once all that is known good, hook up the carbs and check for overflow with the engine off. You can also check the accelerator pumps for function.
So many before you have found clogged low speed jets and fuel passages from a bike that has sat. The holes in those jets are microscopic and will plug up at the drop of a hat. If you are lucky a few Seafoam treatments can open them up, but you will have to put up with poor running while waiting. Otherwise teardown the carbs and clean everything out. Ultrasonic or really small wire can get the gunk out, or many just forgo that and replace the jets with new ones.
Years ago I had a 4 cyl bike that took about 10 tanks of fuel with cleaner to get all cyls to run at idle. These days I would not have the patience for that and would just strip down the carbs and clean them out.

ct1500

Post by ct1500 »

An air pocket in the fuel filter is normal and nothing to worry about. With the hood up (plastic removed) is the time you want to check everything following a logical progression and correct any faults found. You should also be thinking about doing plugs, filters and fluids. The end goal is not having to rip that plastic off again for many years to come with one trouble free reliable ride.
This is what I do

aquainnwithawing

I noticed two brass pipes that go to the top of the carburetor.
If i open the accelerator full the mechanism moves a small lever,after several pumps the fuel came past the rubber on top.
After starting the bike ran for one second without choke!
But no fuel came out the brass pipes.

ct1500

Post by ct1500 »

One thing at a time. What were the test results on fuel pump and petcock? You want to see 1.5psi OEM spec from the fuel pump or at minimum use the flow test. With engine running you want to see vacuum present on petcock hose and test petcock to see if it can hold a vacuum using a vacuum pump and that valve opens and closes, you know fuel pump is working somewhat but it is supposed to run constant after engine catches, does it? Test with test light or DMM on fuel pump wire Blk/Blu forward most wire of tank cover while keeping wire connected. When engine stalls power to pump will cease as expected. :)

This is what I do