Choke cable adjustment

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
ap4840
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Choke cable adjustment

Post by ap4840 »

I was wondering if anyone has ever had to try to tighten or adjust the choke cable? I cant seem to find any information on this anywhere. I seafomed the carbs with the seafoam spray cleaner and in the tank fuel system cleaner last week and after that, the choke feels too loose and doesn't seem like it does anything when I try to engage it. I know the choke cable is on the left hand grip and then ends up on the back of the carbs. I'm trying to see if I may have loosened something on the Cable when I sprayed that area or did the Cable maybe slip off something down by the carbs? Or is there something else I should check or try? I really appreciate any wisdom from you guys that might help a rookie like myself try to tighten this back up? Thanks in advance for looking at this post!

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Choke cable adjustment

Post by ct1500 »

With the engine running at idle does moving the lever have an affect on anything? If not then I think you want to check where the cable attaches to the lever at carbs if no work was done at the handlebar. In the center of top plate towards front is where the enrichment cable lies.
Attachments

Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

ap4840

Post by ap4840 »

Thank you very much for the reply and the picture. You're right, nothing done at the handlebar, when the bike is idling and if try to use the choke nothing happens. I wonder if the Cable slipped out of that plate your describing. I'll have to look and see. Do you know if I can re attach it without removing the entire carbs? Can I remove the top plate and access it? Thanks again.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

It is a bit of a beatch to get that phillips head screw, you are probably looking at loosening carb mounts and rocking the front back a little. I use a 90 degree driver and inspection mirror.
Attachments

Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

ap4840

Post by ap4840 »

Thank you so much for the responses! I appreciate the advice to use the mirror and 90 degree driver! Great pictures too. I'll take a look and hope that fixes the problem. Thanks again. Truly appreciate the advice.

Kawasako
Motorcycle: Honda Gl 1500 SE 1989

Post by Kawasako »

something similar happened to me. After accessing the carburettors under the filter, after checking that the cable was not broken neither in the handlebars nor in the gap between carburettors, spray abundantly with brake cleaner the entire area where the choke is (in front and behind the carburettors), and solved. luck