Diamond Custom Seats

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Straydogg
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing

Diamond Custom Seats

Post by Straydogg »

I may be doing this a little backward but today I finally talked myself into a new Diamond Custom seat for my GL1500. I had a 1983 Aspencade for 25 years and had a Diamond Custom on it for 24 of those years. I loved that seat. Of course, when I bought the 1500 the seat wouldn't fit. I've been through a few other seats and still haven't found one that is as good as the Diamond. Beads, gel pads, and an Airhawk cushion don't work for me either. After a long ride this past Sunday I decided it was time to make the move. Now, my question is does anybody have a Diamond Custom they have bought in the last five years or so. I'm just wondering if the quality and comfort are the same now as they were back in 1993 when I bought one for my '83? I know they have moved from Iowa to Florida since I bought one and are owned by the same folks that own Hartco seats. Any help is much appreciated. :D

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Diamond Custom Seats

Post by CrystalPistol »

Hartco … We bought our trike in 2004, the original owner of the trike / bike had put a Hartco seat cover on the OEM seat in '97, then a couple months later put a whole Hartco seat on it. It looked nice but it was a torture device. One night at supper I mentioned how it hurt, he said it never did set right and that he had sent it back once and carried it back once for fixes that didn't help, that he only kept it because it cost so much. One day in the basement I decided to try the OEM seat he had given me, still had the cover on it so I figured the seat was damaged somehow. It felt good. I got curious, pulled the cover off, was a brand new looking OEM seat … YEAH! I ordered a Utopia back rest that night. Last I saw of that Hartco was it's arc into the dumpster. Rode the OEM seat with Utopia a couple years then came up on a good deal on a nice Corbin with backrest, I only needed to dye it black … which worked out well. I still have the OEM seat in a box just in case.

I had a Corbin on my 1200 at the time, loved it.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Straydogg

Post by Straydogg »

Thanks for the reply. I guess it is a dumb question to ask because everybody's butt and body are different. I have an Ultimate seat on the bike now and it is not near as comfortable as I remember the Diamond Custom I had on my '83. Better than stock but still not good enough for me. I didn't buy it new from Ultimate so maybe it was made for someone with a different body type. The guy I bought it from is pretty close to my size but maybe enough difference to matter. I'm hoping I get much better results from the Diamond. And since Hartco and Diamond Custom are made at the same place I'm wondering if they are identical with just different look to them. I'll see when it gets here. Hoping for the best result. LOL :roll:

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

everybody's butt and body are different
Yep, not familiar with Diamond, I never sat on one as far as I know, know some who have them though & they seem happy enough.

The guy I bought my Corbin from … now that I think back on it … he put a Diamond on his trike in it's place. He liked the Corbin, his wife didn't like it though … but my wife loves it? His wife said it was her short legs. Only reason I had to re-dye it was his trike is magenta, the seat had magenta inserts that totally clashed with a Candy Spectra Red trike.

I know some who swear by Hartco seats too, several I know have the covers with the eagles on a stock seat, but the one I had was a torture device for me. It was too wide at front and within 50 miles, my tail bone hurt too.

Hope yours does well.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Straydogg

Post by Straydogg »

The only thing is it won't ship to me until the end of June/early July. So I just have to wait. LOL Thanks for your input. :D

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

There are different seats for different bikes. A diamond seat on your 1200 probably will feel different than a Diamond seat on a 1500. I had a Ultimate seat on an 1100 Shadow and it was the best seat I ever sat on. A lot of people love the Corbin, a friend put one on his 1500 several years back and couldn't wait to take it off, As said before, lots of different butts out there so that is why there are several different seats. The only I never saw a negative review on is Russel Day Long.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Straydogg

Post by Straydogg »

I agree. That's why I'm hoping that the Diamond for the GL1500 is as good as it was on my GL1100. It's a different style for sure but I'm hoping for the best.