89 GL1500 carb questions

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
VTBikeman
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Double Darksider Heh Heh Heh . . .

89 GL1500 carb questions

Post by VTBikeman »

Hello Wing Gurus,

Last year my 89 Wing was running well but was leaking gas from the carb. It was the seals around the bottom cover. So I thought, now's the time to rebuild. So I did.

I reset the idle screws or so I thought to the setting where it was before I did the rebuild. Turns out at least 1 was not right and since one had no O ring on it I put it back to as it was.

However the engine ran but with a lot of heavy knocking. So I thought it was an air leak. I tried the toothpick fix which sort of helped but not really. So over the winter it sat. Now I'm trying to bring it back to life.

I dropped the covers off and filed off the idle jet limiters that only let you go 7/8 of a turn from the covers. I also put the O ring and washers back on the idle adjust screws. Question 1: Will those screws fall out or slip?

I searched the web for any rebuild advice to see if I missed anything. I saw that some carbs have a bridge cover over some of the jets or tubes in the fuel reservoir in one of the videos.

My question #2 is: does this carb look right for an 89? It had no bridge piece in side.

Thank you in advance for any insights you send my way.

Does this look right?
Does this look right?

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: 89 GL1500 carb questions

Post by ct1500 »

VTBikeman wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 pm
I dropped the covers off and filed off the idle jet limiters that only let you go 7/8 of a turn from the covers. I also put the O ring and washers back on the idle adjust screws. Question 1: Will those screws fall out or slip?
Those are known as limiter caps installed by the manufacturer with some EPA mandates which deterred unauthorized setting. The mixture screws should have a spring along with washer and O ring which keeps them tensioned so they do not move or fall out by themselves.
VTBikeman wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 pm
I searched the web for any rebuild advice to see if I missed anything. I saw that some carbs have a bridge cover over some of the jets or tubes in the fuel reservoir in one of the videos. My question #2 is: does this carb look right for an 89? It had no bridge piece in side.
The jet cap came on later year models so those look right.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do