Buffetting is driving me insane

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
lglamb
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE

Re: Buffetting is driving me insane

Post by lglamb »

You basically made your own Air Bender. Good job!

modou
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by modou »

This may resolve your issue... https://f4customs.com/

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 »

a friend has an 1800 Trike.. the passenger has a small screen behind the headrest to help with buffeting.. but I haven't been able to find one for a 1500...

modou

Post by modou »

I have seen that too but, it is only made for the GL1800's not the GL1500's... This is what you are referring too...

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

Fatboy46 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:04 pm
a friend has an 1800 Trike.. the passenger has a small screen behind the headrest to help with buffeting.. but I haven't been able to find one for a 1500...
If you look on ebay you may still find them available for a 1500. Its just a guess but due to there age they might not sell so many for 1500s. I thought about it but just didn't care for the way it looked on the bike. If I rode 2 up all the time I probably wouldn't care what it looks like as long as it worked though. Its an interesting accessory. :)
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Happytrails
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

Here you go :) Thought price wasn't too bad but shipping... then noticed its coming from russia :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Air-defle ... 9776c713a6
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

WingNoob
2007 KLR650

Post by WingNoob »

Since this thread was included in the newsletter I thought I'd better post an update.

First of all, thanks to everyone who posted. Lots of helpful ideas.

I've put a Puig adjustable wing/deflector on the top of the stock screen. This has eliminated the worst of the buffeting. It's still not ideal but it is certainly tolerable.

I'm not really a fan of this solution though as I am still looking through the screen. I hate looking through the screen. I find it annoying in all kinds of circumstances and feel that it can be downright dangerous at times. That's just my opinion of course, I hold nothing against anyone who might disagree. To each their own.

I think the ideal screen would be the Madstad. My 2nd choice would be to cut down the stock screen. The problem is, I'm not sure if I'm going to be keeping the bike long term and I really don't want to sink any more money into it (Madstad) or reduce the resale value (cut down the screen). For now, I think I'll keep riding it as is (once the temperature drops a bit of course).

Cheers!

modou

Post by modou »

Happytrails wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:22 am
Here you go :) Thought price wasn't too bad but shipping... then noticed its coming from russia :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Air-defle ... 9776c713a6
It's a nice piece of cosmetic but, does it REALLY work? I would love to see some aerodynamic diagrams or video of the device in the testing phase(s). Have you had a opportunity to ride with one installed to notice a real difference or, know anyone whom has one installed?

Happytrails
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

I was just posting a link for Fatboy46 who asked about them. I dont know anybody who owns one and dont have one myself. Haven't seen one in person either, just in videos and photos.

I'm really not understanding why these would help with wind on the passenger either. Below is the only video I could find with info on it. Seems like these are mostly for blingy goodness :)

For the 1800s looks like you can get it customized to say what you want (maybe same for 1500s). Sorry not trying to derail thread! :)

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Levy1
Motorcycle: 2016 F6B

Post by Levy1 »

WingNoob wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:12 pm
So, I've been riding the new bike for a couple of weeks and I'm getting pretty frustrated.

The wind protection on this bike is the worst I've ever experienced. There doesn't seem to be any smooth airflow anywhere in or around the cockpit. My 2007 KLR650 has less turbulence. FYI, I'm 6'4" with 34" inseam.

My '97 has an OEM vented screen and it's basically useless for me. At the lower positions I get vicious buffeting, like my head is in a Home Depot paint can shaker. When I raise the screen it helps to soften the buffeting a bit, but the back pressure in the cockpit is a big problem with the wind actually pushing me FORWARD towards the screen and bouncing my head around in a very tiring way.

I borrowed a Puig adjustable air-foil that clamps onto the top of the screen to provide extra height and adjustable angle (https://puigusa.com/en/tuning-motos/vis ... onsivetab2.

It helps, but in order to get rid of most of the buffeting I need to raise the shield all the way and put the Puig in a raised, upright position as well. This means I'm looking through the Puig and the top of the OEM screen is right in my eye-line. Very annoying and possibly dangerous in rainy/buggy conditions.

The bike also came with Air Wings (2 piece deflectors mounted on the lower fairing). They're great for getting air and staying cool, but whenever I turn them to direct air towards me, the buffeting goes crazy.

It seems that I may be stuck looking through the windscreen, which I REALLY don't want to do. I'm considering removing the windscreen entirely and seeing what that does. Anyone have any experience running with short screens?

Sorry for the ranty nature of the post. :? I just got back from a long ride and I'm rather annoyed... Basically I'm looking for any suggestions on improving the airflow without resorting to a tall, look-through windscreen.

Cheers
2016 f6b
Back in the old days we used to install a product called Lareamar lip on top of the windshield to handle that problem. Actually I just saw one A minute ago they're reselling them . Anyway I happened to see a windshield with the lip Built-in called knock werks. I am coming off a ducati and I have a expensive helmet that is the cuts the wind so the factory windshield really doesn't bother me.
But when I saw the werks windshield it was so beautiful and it flowed with the lines of the bike and I will absolutely buy pretty over substance. I'm 6 1 34" inseam and I bought it purely for looks in a 12" I always want the windshield to be a couple inches below my eyes. It looks stunning on the bike but an additional benefit is it really cuts the wind and I don't have any problems whatsoever with wind directed on myself.

oakback
Motorcycle: shopping

Post by oakback »

modou wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 am
It's a nice piece of cosmetic but, does it REALLY work? I would love to see some aerodynamic diagrams or video of the device in the testing phase(s). Have you had a opportunity to ride with one installed to notice a real difference or, know anyone whom has one installed?
I haven't used one, but it makes sense. Objects with blunt-shaped rears have a lot of, not sure what the term is, backdraft? If you drive an SUV with the rear window open, you'll suck in exhaust. If you open the rear vent/window on a pickup truck, air blows in. Many convertibles have rear wind deflectors to keep the wind from blowing your hair forward. I used to have a convertible, and this was very annoying.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

I can verify what Oakback says.
I have a pickup truck with the slide-open rear window.
Air does not go OUT through that window.
It blows IN. And if you have any dirt or leaves in the
bed of the pickup truck, it all ends up in the cab, which
is why I rarely open that window.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

modou

Post by modou »

oakback wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:49 am
modou wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 am
I haven't used one, but it makes sense. Objects with blunt-shaped rears have a lot of, not sure what the term is, backdraft? If you drive an SUV with the rear window open, you'll suck in exhaust. If you open the rear vent/window on a pickup truck, air blows in. Many convertibles have rear wind deflectors to keep the wind from blowing your hair forward. I used to have a convertible, and this was very annoying.
With_and_without_Wind_deflector_grande.jpg
That's what I wanted to see, science, the dynamics of physics... Now I can make a intelligent educated decision whether or not to buy.

WingNoob
2007 KLR650

Post by WingNoob »

modou wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:58 pm
That's what I wanted to see, science, the dynamics of physics... Now I can make a intelligent educated decision whether or not to buy.
Seems like something you could mock up out of plywood and strap to the rear rack to test...

WingNoob
2007 KLR650

Post by WingNoob »

Figured I should update this thread for posterity.

I finally bit the bullet and dropped the $$ on the Madstad screen. The folks at Madstad were very helpful, answering my questions via email promptly and thoroughly and even throwing me a discount code because I'm a repeat customer (I have one of their screens on my KLR650). I bought directly from Madstad, but they are also sold through Cyclemax. The shield shipped in just over a week and FedEx had it at my door in Toronto in 2 days. As a plus, I got a follow-up phone call from one of their sales people a week after I got the shield, just to check in and see how the install went and if there was anything I needed help with. Very impressed.

Between the included instructions and the DIY tutorials on this site, removing the old shield and installing the Madstad was a piece of cake. Everything fit perfectly.

I've put about 1000km on with the new shield, including a few hours of highway cruising at 110km/h. The buffeting is as gone as it will ever be on a motorcycle, airflow has improved in the cockpit (which is to say that there is actually some decent airflow in the cockpit) and best of all, I'm looking well over the top of the screen.

It's a huge improvement and I actually want to go for a long ride now.

For anyone who's dissatisfied with their current shield, I whole-heartedly recommend the Madstad windshield system. My only regret is that I wasted most of the riding season going back and forth on whether it was worth the $$. It was :D And to be fair, it's not that much more expensive than many fixed shields.

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

So which shield did you get (height and any tint)?

I got one recently ( 12", light tint). I wanted a medium tint but they were out of the material and were not sure how long till they were going to get more.
I am still not sure if I should have gone with the 14" (I am 5' 11" with a ~28-29" inseam), but the 12" seems to work. I can still move the base part up a little more to get another inch or so out of it I think, and will try it the next time I have the front plastics off.
Regardless it is worlds better than the Tulsa Tall I had on it before (more air flow and not looking through the screen).
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Levy1
Motorcycle: 2016 F6B

Post by Levy1 »

Klocks, 14 inch, has the larmamar lip.

WingNoob
2007 KLR650

Post by WingNoob »

blupupher wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:35 pm

I got one recently ( 12", light tint). I wanted a medium tint but they were out of the material and were not sure how long till they were going to get more.
I am still not sure if I should have gone with the 14" (I am 5' 11" with a ~28-29" inseam), but the 12" seems to work. I can still move the base part up a little more to get another inch or so out of it I think, and will try it the next time I have the front plastics off.
Regardless it is worlds better than the Tulsa Tall I had on it before (more air flow and not looking through the screen).
16" light grey. I'm 6'4" and it's what they recommended. Barely any tint, which is fine with me, but the edge of the shield is grey and doesn't glare like the clear shields can when the light is at certain angles. I have the base plate as low as it'll go and the shield is raised about 1" using the brackets. I'm really impressed with the airflow. I can actually feel the air moving through the vents in my jacket and helmet.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

WingNoob wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:27 am
blupupher wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:35 pm

16" light grey. I'm 6'4" and it's what they recommended. Barely any tint, which is fine with me, but the edge of the shield is grey and doesn't glare like the clear shields can when the light is at certain angles. I have the base plate as low as it'll go and the shield is raised about 1" using the brackets. I'm really impressed with the airflow. I can actually feel the air moving through the vents in my jacket and helmet.
I was going to ask this question, so thanks to blupuphor for already asking and to you for already answering.

I've thought about getting the dark tint because I think it would look good on my black/charcoal bike. However, I've also been paying attention to how much I do look through my OEM clear shield when at slow speeds, parking lots, and about to stop anywhere. During the daytime it might not be an issue, but I do some riding at night. Especially, when coming home from work late at night.

Since the shields themselves aren't too expensive, I've even thought about getting a dark and clear to be able to switch them out as needed.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

C-dub wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:33 pm

I've thought about getting the dark tint because I think it would look good on my black/charcoal bike. However, I've also been paying attention to how much I do look through my OEM clear shield when at slow speeds, parking lots, and about to stop anywhere. During the daytime it might not be an issue, but I do some riding at night. Especially, when coming home from work late at night.

Since the shields themselves aren't too expensive, I've even thought about getting a dark and clear to be able to switch them out as needed.
The light tint is not an issue at all, I would imagine medium would not be an issue day or night.
Dark, just depends on how high you have it set, how dark it is outside (i.e. city, rural or country) as well as how often.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

blupupher wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:12 pm
C-dub wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:33 pm

The light tint is not an issue at all, I would imagine medium would not be an issue day or night.
Dark, just depends on how high you have it set, how dark it is outside (i.e. city, rural or country) as well as how often.
Great! Thanks.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

WingNoob wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:27 am

I was going to post on this subject early on but John covered it well pointing you to the Madstad. I'm glad you chose to spend wisely and found the satisfaction you needed in the Madstad.
Post a side view of the bike with it on so we can see the angle you like it at.

Back 8 years ago when I was getting ready to buy a new windshield for my 99SE that I had at the time and planned to keep, I had been scouring the forums posts of trying to get rid of the buffeting problems. I tried the cutting down of the stock shield to no avail. I knew I didn't want a taller shield as I had already experienced an instant translucent windshield one night hitting a cold valley on my 83 Aspencade and had to stand up to see over the white out windshield...
I thought seriously of the Windbender but was low on funds for my next trip and went with a new Vstream w/recurve top to save $150 from the price of the Windbender. That was not a wise decision. The recurve was just below eye level for me and the distortion was bad and the buffeting was still there as well as had a high speed flex of the shield in winds that put me into a tank slapper a couple times. I didn't get around to replacing it before the bike's demise by cage battle.......
After healing up I bought an 08 1800 and almost immediately found a used Windbender and have loved it since putting on in 2013 and have 130,000 miles behind it. Summers I have it at the lowest position, winters I do raise it a bit to cut the direct cold air but still keep it below my eyesight lines.
I didn't hear about the Madstad until 3 years after getting my Windbender so I haven't stepped up to get one but I have liked the tilting adjustability idea of the Madstad.

PunWinger
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Goldwing
Commodore Blue-Green

Post by PunWinger »

Since I got it in 2016, my '89 GL1500 has had a vented SlipStreamer "Tulsa Tall" on it, and I liked it so well that I got another one to replace the first I had broken. I'm 6' tall and do not experience this buffeting and it looks sleak on the bike, but I do have to agree with John (AZgl1800) that it is a bit warm in the summertime even with the vent, and for me, the top of the screen hits me in the chest just below my collarbone while mounting the bike. As for rain, I've never had any problem seeing unless it was a fine mist or fog. That tends to collect on the screen. My wife complains of getting air though, but I don't get it when I ride in her seat! My only problem then is that I can't reach the handlebars!!! :o

Autocorrect has become my worst enema!