New LAectrical alternator installed and STILL no charging.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Britwanders
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade (A gift from a stranger!) - sadly put to rest due to accident, 9-6-17.
1981 Yamaha 850 Special
1985 Yamaha Venture Royale
'76 750cc Hondamatic
1980 Yamaha 650SP
1978 Yamaha 400

New LAectrical alternator installed and STILL no charging.

Post by Britwanders »

So, this is the 5th alternator this bike has been through since I bought it 2.5 years ago and frankly, I'm beginning to get very upset. The alt that came with the bike died. So, I bought another from eBay. Bike ran for a week and died. Called and got a replacement, and again ran for a week and died. My bike is my only transportation so I need it to be reliable. Bought a used Compu-fire. Used it for a year and suddenly the battery died because it wasn't being charged. Bought a new LAectrical alt and STILL no charge to the battery. Everything I find in the net or in the manual is made for mechanics and not for guys just starting to do the deeper work of keeping a bike working. There seems to be NOTHING out there for guys like me. I need to have the bike up and running, NOW! Battery is good, 12.47 volts. Fuses are good, the only thing not happening that I can determine is the charging of the battery. All wires are connected that I can find, no bolts or bike is missing, so WTF????

I have no idea what to test, or what to test for, or how to test it, and I have no money as both of my professions have been destroyed by the virus. So, I have to fix it myself. I don't know the names of any of the wires so telling me to fix "e=mc squared" doesn't do me the slightest bit of good. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a video of how to test the wiring from the alt to the battery? I just don't get it. This bike was a rich man's toy, just broke in. There is NO WAY I could be so unlucky as to get 3 bad alternators from two different companies, one of which has a 4.6 star rating and they are dealing with a well-known alt. It must be something on the bike making it happen.

1995 Goldwing SE, California model. The battery is a new deep-cycle battery, two fuses that sit next to the battery (as recommended), and there's no rust anywhere. When the bike is running just on the battery, everything works except for not getting any kind of charge. I am reaching the point of just towing the whole bike to the dump...if I can borrow something to tow it with. This is incredibly frustrating. I REALLY need to get the bike up and running NOW. I tested at the battery terminals (fine), and positive at the alt and neg at the battery, 12.47. Like I said, all fuses I could find are good.

HELP! HELP! HELP! X 1000

Britwanders
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade (A gift from a stranger!) - sadly put to rest due to accident, 9-6-17.
1981 Yamaha 850 Special
'76 750cc Hondamatic
1980 Yamaha 650SP
1978 Yamaha 400

Re: New LAectrical alternator installed and STILL no charging.

Post by Britwanders »

Problem found. I thought to delete this post, but this is a topic that needs addressed. The overall problem of not being able to find how to diagnose the problem still remains; there's now just not a hurry for me.

The problem I found was that the male part of the plug on the alternator didn't seat properly into the receiving end of the plug on the bike. I disconnected that part (again) and reconnected it, paying extra-special attention to the tiny wire in it and made triple sure it was seated well. Started the bike and am charging at over 14. Now just have to put the bike back together and I'm rolling!!!! (YAAY!!!)

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Well great. You found it. Congratulations.
But, while you were looking I was typing this up so I'm going to post it anyway.

Britwanders wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:04 pm
When the bike is running just on the battery, everything works except for not getting any kind of charge.
Using your volt meter, put the positive probe on the 6 mm stud on the back of the alternator where the large wire is connected.
Have the negative probe on any ground point. The engine or the body of the alternator will do.
There should be battery voltage showing on your meter with or without the bike running.
If there is no voltage there, either the 55 amp "dog bone" fuse is not passing the voltage or the wire isn't.
Britwanders wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:04 pm
I tested at the battery terminals (fine), and positive at the alt and neg at the battery, 12.47. Like I said, all fuses I could find are good.
With the bike not running, is your battery voltage 12.47 volts?
With the bike running, the battery voltage should be almost 14 volts. That same voltage at the battery is what should be on the 6 mm stud on the back of the alternator.

Make sure that the two pin connector is plugged into the back of the alternator. There are most likely two wires in that connector but only one is important, the black with a light green trace is the excitation voltage for the alternator. Without that, the alternator will not charge. That wire could be broken and you can not see it. Also, make sure that fuse #11 is good. Remove it, check it, put it back in. Connections some times get oxidized and do not make good contact. Do the same with Rely #6. Remove it and then reinsert it.

MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

Britwanders
1981 Yamaha 850 Special
'76 750cc Hondamatic
1980 Yamaha 650SP
1978 Yamaha 400

Post by Britwanders »

Mike, thank you so much! I will bookmark this for future reference. Should I run across anyone else that has a similar issue, you can bet that I will direct them here.