Cooling Fan Motors

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
jsthomps
Motorcycle: 1972 Kawaski H2

Cooling Fan Motors

Post by jsthomps »

I had the left lower fairing off to inspect some connectors. This gave me access to the left cooling fan. I gave it a spin and was surprised when it did not spin as freely like you would expect from any electric fan. I could rotate the fan with my finger but if it was a normal house fan I would be thinking that the bearings are starting to seize. Is this normal for these fans motors?
Scott

thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Re: Cooling Fan Motors

Post by thebruce »

On a good day I may be something of an expert on electric motors. However this is not that day.

What I can say is that the fan in your house is AC and the fan on your bike is DC.

the AC fan will not have any point of contact other than the bearings that support the shaft that the fan spins on, so there is very little friction, and it will freely spin for as long as the bearings will let it.

The DC fan will have brushes that cause drag and magnets that make it seem like the bearings are on their way out.
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.

jsthomps
Motorcycle: 1972 Kawaski H2

Post by jsthomps »

thebruce wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:35 am
On a good day I may be something of an expert on electric motors. However this is not that day.

What I can say is that the fan in your house is AC and the fan on your bike is DC.

the AC fan will not have any point of contact other than the bearings that support the shaft that the fan spins on, so there is very little friction, and it will freely spin for as long as the bearings will let it.

The DC fan will have brushes that cause drag and magnets that make it seem like the bearings are on their way out.
Bruce,
You make a good point re AC versus DC. I will run a test to see how much current it draws.
I think I'm getting paranoid about my bike purchase. I'm plagued with electrical issues and simple tasks turn out to to massive undertakings because all of the damn plastic. I'm used to working on bikes from the 70's and 80's. I'm now thinking of dumping this thing but I digress!

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

I think thebruce did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and was on the mark. :) The fans will draw about 5A.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

pocketchange
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by pocketchange »

Good point..
I'd guess, mother Honda did not produce the fan.
Finding a replacement should be a walk in the park.
Would it be a bumpy experience to service the fan? pc