GL-1500 Tail light 15A fuse keeps blowing out, no lights. no start

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
mybike3
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Gold Wing

GL-1500 Tail light 15A fuse keeps blowing out, no lights. no start

Post by mybike3 »

Tail light 15A fuse keeps blowing out, replace with a new one, but will blow out a soon as I hit the start switch, no gauges, no head lights and no start, could there be a short or maybe one of those relays have gone bad? any help would be thankful.

Ed

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: GL-1500 Tail light 15A fuse keeps blowing out, no lights. no start

Post by CrystalPistol »

mybike3 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:42 pm
Tail light 15A fuse keeps blowing out, replace with a new one, but will blow out a soon as I hit the start switch, no gauges, no head lights and no start, could there be a short or maybe one of those relays have gone bad? any help would be thankful.

Ed
Start button … or when you turn on the ignition switch? I know you said start switch, but you said "hit" too … like one does a button. Fuse 8 feeds Relay #3 which is tripped (closed) by the "ON" position of the ignition switch, then after tripped Relay #3 passes power from Fuse #8 onto the tail & marker & position lights & speedo/tach/LCD/fuel/temp illumination lights. Sounds like you have a short somewhere, as until that Relay #3 closes, there is no load on Fuse #8.

Just for a test, I would unplug Relay #3 and put a fresh fuse in Fuse #8 and try it … just to see if it starts?
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

And see if you can't find a 15 amp circuit breaker at the parts house, sure saves on fuses and is good at opening up quickly to prevent letting the smoke out of something.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

mybike3
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Gold Wing

Post by mybike3 »

Yep, as with anything electrical, there was a wiring short at the add on led light strip down by the foot brake pedal, checked the other connections, and isolated the possibilities of other shorts, and now it's ok, I did go to Autozone and bought the 20amp plug in circuit breaker and it helped to pinpoint the location of the electrical shortages without replacing 4 or 5 fuses, thank you for your help, God Bless.

Ed