Moving a disabled bike.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Eckhard
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

Moving a disabled bike.

Post by Eckhard »

I have a bike I have to get off my stand and out of the garage but the engine doesn't run. Parts are on month away. Is there a stabalizer frame I can build to prevent tipovers when taking the bike off my stand? Like a 2x4 with casters attached under the engine!

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Moving a disabled bike.

Post by Viking »

Maybe a couple of friends to help stabilize it. You can buy roll around supports for bikes, but that still does not get it off the stand. So, my best advice is more people.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

It will depend a lot on your budget, what kind of surface you will be rolling over and so forth but something like a motorcycle lift does the job for many.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200641776
This is only one example but you will get the idea. Another would be a small furniture dolly about a foot and a half square, if you roll the bike up on a couple of 2x4's to get the wheels up a little you could put the dolly under the engine and roll the bike off of the 2x4's and roll the bike where you want to. Again rough ground makes rolling harder so think about where it will be put carefully.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Eckhard

Post by Eckhard »

Thanks for the suggestions till now.

I will be going over various surfaces from smooth concrete to 3/4" crushed rock and maybe onto the grass. I am also trying not to involve others in this pandemic period because I have all the chronic conditions to put me near the top of the vulnerable list. I could roll the bike on it's wheels with the help of my wife but I would like something to prevent it from going all the way over in case of a loss of balance.

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

I have used plywood sheets to cover soft or rough ground, actually one 4x8 cut in half will give you the two sheets to be able to swap them as you go. Look into the height of one of the moving dollys to see if it is just high enough to act like training wheels and keep the bike from tipping.
I see that Lowes has one that holds 1000lb and is 5" high and is only $22. It's raining right now or I would go out and see how high my bike is but it sounds close.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Eckhard

Post by Eckhard »

Swagonmaster wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:47 pm
I see that Lowes has one that holds 1000lb and is 5" high and is only $22. It's raining right now or I would go out and see how high my bike is but it sounds close.

They have a nominal ground clearance of 4.5"

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Eckhard wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:40 am
Thanks for the suggestions till now.

I will be going over various surfaces from smooth concrete to 3/4" crushed rock and maybe onto the grass. I am also trying not to involve others in this pandemic period because I have all the chronic conditions to put me near the top of the vulnerable list. I could roll the bike on it's wheels with the help of my wife but I would like something to prevent it from going all the way over in case of a loss of balance.
You need help. They can wear a mask and a FF helmet, but you need help. That thing falls and gets your wife, you're gonna be in really bad shape.

You could load it on a low trailer & move it with a yard tractor, then just leave it covered on the trailer until ready to move it back in. Maybe a buddy has one not being used to loan? Another possibility, tractor mounted fork lift with ample padding?

Is the bike stripped enough that it could be lifted with a set of 4 straps and a shop crane?
Eckhard wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:38 am
I have a bike I have to get off my stand and out of the garage but the engine doesn't run. Parts are on month away. Is there a stabalizer frame I can build to prevent tipovers when taking the bike off my stand? Like a 2x4 with casters attached under the engine!
Never seen one, but I get the idea. Maybe a 4x4, 3-4 rfeet long, caster each end, strapped to bike under engine, couple plywood sheets, or big wheeled casters?
Last edited by CrystalPistol on Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

pffffffffffft, delete

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Eckhard

Post by Eckhard »

I have a rolling chassis but the carbs are on the bench.. I think Ill be able to get my brother over tomorrow and we can move the bike. I will still strap a 48" 2x4 under the motor so it can't tip over. If I do the numbers I still should have 3" of ground clearance.

HandymanHerb
Motorcycle: 1997 GL 1500 SE Aspencade

Post by HandymanHerb »

MC jack, love mine and use it every time I pull it in the shop to put it away, I jack it up and turn it around so it is ready to drive out , no backing it out down a ramp to turn it around on the grass, I just hit the gate control and drive out and shut both up and ride.

I got a good deal on Pit Bull jack, off facebook market place, same place I got my 97 Wing from.

A must to change tires and helps in all repairs, that I get to use it every time I ride makes it even a better deal
Attachments

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

They have a nominal ground clearance of 4.5"
Close ladies and gentlemen but no cigar!

Eckhard

Post by Eckhard »

Had the help of a willing person and got it out of the way. Parts are on back order and be available the latter part of July.

HandymanHerb

Post by HandymanHerb »

My jack is four inches high but still fits under a gold wing no problem, glad you got it moved

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

HandymanHerb wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:39 am
MC jack, love mine and use it every time I pull it in the shop to put it away, I jack it up and turn it around so it is ready to drive out , no backing it out down a ramp to turn it around on the grass, I just hit the gate control and drive out and shut both up and ride.

I got a good deal on Pit Bull jack, off facebook market place, same place I got my 97 Wing from.

A must to change tires and helps in all repairs, that I get to use it every time I ride makes it even a better deal
I got one of them about 20 years ago, I used it some on the bikes but I have none but a trike now, I should sell it. I used to park the bike on the smooth concrete over a 1/8" thin piece of plastic shop light defuser, put it on center stand, then just spin it around. Would add pressure or pull to me slightly if needed to favor one leg of centerstand as center, could even slide it sideways if needed.
Eckhard wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:03 pm
Had the help of a willing person and got it out of the way. Parts are on back order and be available the latter part of July.
And no drops. Good deal!

… & Have a Safe Trip!

HandymanHerb

Post by HandymanHerb »

I dropped mine just trying to roll it forward to check the real tire pressure from the right side and foot slipped on me, I was able to let it down easy and picked up back on side stand, then moved it from the left side.

I think I will stick to the jack for spinning it around

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

Yeah, it's amazing how much the bikes weigh once they lean a few inches!