Turn signals are dead

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Turn signals are dead

Post by Elmobile »

I have had some issues with my turn signals but after cleaning up the switches, they seemed to work up to 2 days ago. They just died on me. Nothing is happening. The relay under the trunk did check good. I tested it by trading with the hazard relay. So I strongly suspect that the turn signal cancel unit has finally gave up.
Part of my problem is that my service manual is for a 1994 BUT my bike is a 1990 (GL1500 :D ). It shows some position light switch which I don't think are on my bike.
Would any one have the circuit schematic for a 1990 GL 1500 turn signal and hazard?
I think for now I am going to wire the signal lights the same as the hazard just to bypass the cancel unit...

Thanks!

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Turn signals are dead

Post by CrystalPistol »

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Elmobile

Post by Elmobile »

Thank you for the reply.
I determine that the self cancelling unit had finally given up on me so I decided to bypass it...
I removed the Blue#lack wire from the turn signal connector.
I made a new wire to plug in its place and send it to ground.

My turn signals are back. I was never happy with the self cancelling unit because the timer was way too short anyway. Now I have to remember to turn them off like I have done for the past 40 years on all my other bikes! :shock: . Should be able to get use to it :D .

And yes the vacuum cleaner came out to clean 30 years or so of dust from under the trunk...

Cheers...

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

That is a neat fix. I like it.

Elmobile

Post by Elmobile »

While the trunk was out, I decided to bypass the bank angle sensor. I have a sidecar so it is not a bad idea. It was on my list on "things" to do.
Everything is back in order. The bike cranks, the signal turn lights blink, the hazard lights flash... Life is good. Going for a ride tomorrow :D