Need a new lock for right fairing pocket

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Roughridercog
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing 1500

Need a new lock for right fairing pocket

Post by Roughridercog »

I don't have the original, so I'm looking for ideas to use to replace the locking mechanism. What have you done. I can find the covers online, but none of them have the lock.
Ideas and solutions?

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Need a new lock for right fairing pocket

Post by Rambozo »

Honda has them. It is the same lock as the fuel door.
37220-439-007 for the lock with key.
37222-463-000 for the clip that holds it in.

A few examples. (Google is your friend)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/181759731420
https://www.amazon.com/HONDA-37220-439- ... B00I87DUJA

But it will then be a different key. A locksmith may be able to rekey it to match your key.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Rambozo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:46 am
Honda has them. It is the same lock as the fuel door.
37220-439-007 for the lock with key.
37222-463-000 for the clip that holds it in.

A few examples. (Google is your friend)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/181759731420
https://www.amazon.com/HONDA-37220-439- ... B00I87DUJA

But it will then be a different key. A locksmith may be able to rekey it to match your key.
I have not found a locksmith who could rekey it. It is a simple wafer core lock, which can be easily re-keyed - but the lock has the top crimped around it, so it can't be disassembled to re-key it without destroying it.

That's why my gas cap key is different from my ignition and pocket key - the lock died, and I had to replace it with a new lock that couldn't be re-keyed.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

One option is to have a key cut for one lock on one side, and the other lock on the other side. You will no longer be able to insert the key either way, but you will have a single key. I have done this for other double sided keys, and just cut a notch in the top so I know which way to insert it for each lock. Of course the keyways need to match and Honda used two styles, so YMMV.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

Actually the lock can be taken apart, I have done it numerous times on the locks on motor scooters. You just have to take a small screwdriver that is bent slightly and possibly an unbent one and go around the crimped cover to take it apart, rekey it (actually the hard part unless you have a supply of old locks to source parts from) and then recrimp the cover. To do that I took a curved washer against the cover and put the assembly in a vice to hold everything together and carefully go around and slowly tap with a punch till it was back almost as good as new
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Roughridercog
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing 1500

Post by Roughridercog »

Swagonmaster wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:22 pm
Actually the lock can be taken apart, I have done it numerous times on the locks on motor scooters. You just have to take a small screwdriver that is bent slightly and possibly an unbent one and go around the crimped cover to take it apart, rekey it (actually the hard part unless you have a supply of old locks to source parts from) and then recrimp the cover. To do that I took a curved washer against the cover and put the assembly in a vice to hold everything together and carefully go around and slowly tap with a punch till it was back almost as good as new
Just ordered a new one. And now we wait......

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Rambozo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:25 pm
One option is to have a key cut for one lock on one side, and the other lock on the other side. You will no longer be able to insert the key either way, but you will have a single key. I have done this for other double sided keys, and just cut a notch in the top so I know which way to insert it for each lock. Of course the keyways need to match and Honda used two styles, so YMMV.
I did that with my '77 F150 4x4 and a '85 Thunderbird we had. Yes, Honda had left cut and right cut keys. Could put the gas door lock on pocket cover, then put the new lock on gas door & use one of the keys you get to epoxy in a knob that will make gas ups easier with no need to pull the ignition key, but it can be removed like if parking at the motel overnight?
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

Put the new lock on the gas lid. make a key knob for it using the new key. Put the old gas lid lock on the pocket door and now you don't have to take the key pout of the ignition to fuel up and the ignition key and pocket key are the same.

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE