Rebuilding GL1500 Engine

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Re: Rebuilding GL1500 Engine

Post by wingdings »

You say about the factory tools there earnest - I have made some of my own and posted them on here - look on the how too Articles there fella - if you get stuck let me know - i bet i can make a tool for it fella ...

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Thanks for the offer. Special tools are always an interesting topic, and yes depending on what is needed we can chat - won't be for a while as the 1200 needs to get done, I have riding to do, and life in general to enjoy. I no longer rush to get things done, rather do things as the schedule, weather and other items/issues dictate.

I find that the better I prepare for certain work periods such as this, the easier it is when I start, less stress, and the project goes quicker. Starting to prepare for this well in advance is the only way IMHO to do this. Used to do this type of planning and prep when I was in the Navy and the technical authority for our destroyer refits. Started 16 months in advance, had several on the go at once, doing technical work specifications and getting the parts/pieces ordered and on the shelf. Theory was to have at least 90 percent of the parts/pieces available before starting. We always had issues with delay and disruptions due to not having this level of parts/pieces.

I try to find a compromise with this special tool issue in that a bought tool such as a fork seal driver at approximately $25.00 CDN with free delivery is more cost effective than a home made remedy that takes more than two hours of my time - getting the parts, gas, and such.

For the 1500 the tools I'm looking at are the ring compressor, and piston support tools for putting the cases back together. I have looked at the ring compressor and think that thick walled PVC tapered at the top can be used. The OEM ring compressor is kept together with Velcro. The piston support tool for two of the pistons seems to be a slide under the pistons, and the one holding the third piston up could be a made to suit block of wood with a bit of wiggle room. I won't be able to assess this until I get the engine apart. I'm thinking that the ring compressor made with thick wall PVC could also be made for the 1200 pistons when I put the casings back together. Good trail run for the concept.

The other nicety with the 1500 is that it shares some tools with the 1200 such as the fork seal driver, and hydraulic valve shim tool.

As an aside, gave a local company my bearing wish list and have a quote. The factory service manual (FSM) recommends replacing these bearings. The quote is in line with what I found on the web and what I have estimated in the cost of the engine rebuild. May be able to find some savings by going a different way, but using a local supplier can be beneficial for things such as returns, info on other businesses that can be of assistance - this is a definite bonus. There are two bearings the company could not source but I have leads on these two. Don't mind replacing bearings, but would like to be able to do these myself - costs add up when having a shop do the work.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

wingdings wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:51 pm
Hi - there fella - came across this vid - have a gander it explains the 5 systems on the wing there - :D :D :D :D

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
Interesting engine design this 1500 - and the references to n FI engine. Lots to take in. Thanks for posting.

Ernest

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

Not a problem - Fella - For a more exotic approach - Have a gander at this turbo charger vids !! -

-

Yes its for the Valkyrie but it should make you think too !! .. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Interesting videos. The economics of rebuilding an engine is always questionable and brings out the best in us all. I think I mentioned early on that a rebuild of a tired engine considering that I will be doing the wrenching, is more cost effective than flipping a used 1500 especially here on Vancouver Island BC that has a very small market base. I combine this with the new paint and The overall product will be better than buying a new to me used motorcycle. The difference between the 1500 and 1800 is substantial, but the 1500 fits me better than the 1800 (had one and sold it). If I want to get more sporty I have my '85 Limited Edition or the V-Strom DL1000. The Mrs likes to ride either the 1500 or 1200, but not so much the V-Strom. I hearken this project to my days in our Navy where every four years our destroyers underwent a major refit to bring the ship back to as close as possible when it was built - then abuse it for another four years. The 1500 will not be abused as such, but should outlast my riding career. I was told a few years back on a group ride that if I were to get a 1500, it would be the last bike I would be wrenching on, pretty close to the truth. I think my 1200 will be that bike, but who knows. Rebuilding the 1200 engine as we speak. Picked up the engine parts today from the vapor blasting shop, nice finish and clean. Will be using ACF-50 to coat the engine parts/pieces - good review on this product.

Cheers

Ernest

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

Not a problem - Ernest - The way things are looking engine wise - In the UK - I think that all cars and motorcycles will be electric by about 2050 - The latest craze over here is to rip out the old petrol engine Ernest and replace it with a clean electric motor instead !! -

There is a wide choice of electric kits out there too !!- There is a tv programme called vintage electric that takes old vintage cars and turns them into electric ones - If you have a engineering back ground you should be able to convert your wing to being electric !!

There are big benefits for doing this more so if you have solar panels on your roof of your home !! Free power !! no more filling up at the petrol station either !! .. Earnest ..
Here are some vids again !! Earnest on how to build your own electric motorcycle :-

enjoy fella !!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Thanks for the information. Haven't watched the videos, but it seems I need more tools - good thing - always wanted a mig/tig welder.

Lived in Panama (the one in Central America) for a couple of years, interesting place and first time I every lived in a house with a fence topping of constantine wire - very common place. Designed a house to live in that would be completely off the grid with solar, batteries, and diesel generator. Stayed away from air power, too complicated in a small community.

Electric or some form of alternate fuel propulsion is coming. My issue with these technologies is the freedom factor. Where will you be able to travel and what amenities are available to you. I think the hybrid vehicle is the way to go, or better still lets start on the hydrogen water fuel cell technology.

These are great topics but for another thread.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Moving on up as the Jefferson's did. Ordered a couple of parts for the 1500, new clutch rebuild kit and clutch plate B - damper plate. Up to now I was a regular customer, but have developed a relationship with the parts department head at my local dealer, and now have a 15% discount when I order. Not a huge amount, but I will take everything I can.

Hoses arrived. Ordered the ones that are formed/molded. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to make a straight piece of hose bend like a molded one. The hoses received, these are formed:

Tube C 19513-MY4-000
Tube F 19516-MY4-000
Tube J 19522-MY4-000
Tube D 19514-MN5-000
Tube E 19515-MY4-000
Tube B 19512-MT8-000
Hose Water G 19521-MY4-000
Breather Tube 15761-MN5-000

Tube A - 19511-MY4-000 and Tube H - 19517-MT8-000 are straight hoses so no need to order.

Tube C - 19513-MY4-000 is pending.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Started to look for piston rings. Seems these are still available, but as a single piston set. This being the case and at some $50.00 to $60.00 USD per set, makes rings an expensive commodity. Will be looking at older GW piston sizes, and even the auto industry. Can always fit a set.

Ernest