Bags won't open

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Kwest364
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500
2004 GL1800

Bags won't open

Post by Kwest364 »

Side bags won't open at all. Levers under trunk are working. They move, and it pushes the rod up, but the pins aren't moving out of the way (pic). What causes those flat "pins" to retract so the latch can move? How do I fix it?

The key works, I'm assuming. Put key in, turn 90° right, pull out key, flip up metal latch and trunk opens (don't need to touch the middle levers below trunk to pop it). When pull side bag levers, the levers are moving, as are the gears in the unlocking mechanism, but I can see 3 flat pins that are blocking the gears from moving all the way thru. Looks like they retract in some way. Picture shows it best.
Attachments

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Bags won't open

Post by Rambozo »

What metal latch are you talking about? The center lever is what should open the trunk.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

Try pushing in by the top of saddle bag as you pull the lever.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Kwest364
2004 GL1800

Post by Kwest364 »

Rambozo wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:12 am
What metal latch are you talking about? The center lever is what should open the trunk.
In the pics, the brass colored "latch" mechanism is prevented from going through it's full range of motion due to the flat tabs stopping it. My trunk also happens to have a flip up latch attached to the outside of the trunk that goes over the key lock. Is that stock? I assumed it was, but maybe it's not. And I'm pretty sure my key lock isn't actually locking the trunk with the internal mechanism. To "lock" trunk, I turn lock 90° right with key, so outside trunk latch can fit over it. The lock is longitudinal at this point, vertical. Slide latch over lock, then turn lock 90° left, to physically prevent latch from moving. Lock is horizontal at this point and won't turn without the key at this point. But I can pull up on trunk and it moves/opens slightly. Makes me think the latch is only a physical barrier lock and the internal mechanism isn't actually locking, but the key lock works only with the key, so.....I don't know. I don't know what's normal baseline for this bike.

Rambozo

Post by Rambozo »

No, there is nothing on the outside of the trunk, stock. It sounds like the previous owner had some problem with the lock and rather than fixing it, added that latch.
Turning the key clockwise so the slot is horizontal is the unlocked position and the 3 levers operate the latches. Turning the key counter clockwise so the slot is vertical is the locked position and basically disconnects the levers from the latch mechanism so they move with no resistance. Some years will also let you open the trunk by turning the key counter clockwise past vertical without needing to use the latch lever.
There are also two emergency saddlebag release rods that you can access from inside the trunk by removing a pair of rubber plugs in the forward corners of the trunk floor. Once the plugs are removed press down on the plungers and the bags will pop open.
You will find some good photos of the mechanism in this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=23051

Kwest364
2004 GL1800

Post by Kwest364 »

Ok. How would I go about diagnosing what the issue is? Nothing looks broken, per se, but clearly something is not working. I'm guessing the lock. How could I tell if the key lock isn't working? Where do I look? What to look for?

Rambozo

Post by Rambozo »

When you turn the lock to it's two positions, what happens if you try the three levers?
You will just have to examine the mechanism to see why it doesn't work. Beware that the PO might have removed or damaged parts of it.
If you want the entire opener assembly is available, but at $100 it's not a cheap date. The part number depends on the year. Some years are not available, either.
A motorcycle salvage might be a good option for that part.

Kwest364
2004 GL1800

Post by Kwest364 »

I explained in my original post what it's doing. It's in the pics to help. The levers are moving whatever it moves just fine, but it looks like there is a block (the flat tabs in the pics). Maybe that's all normal though? I've got no baseline of what working order is. It's moving, but nothing gets released. Almost like cables aren't attached or something.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

I would think that the Previous owner may have taken it apart because something was not working correctly and when he reassembled it, it still didn't work so he added the outside latch to get by. there are a couple of posts on here that go into detail about the proper assembly procedures to make it work. Check out the OEM manual that shows pictures of the correct position of rods and connectors for some of it. I think wingadmin discusses the assembly somewhere on here and about the proper way to install the cover so it doesn't lock down and not be able to open.
Russell

If I don't do Facebook or Twitter do I still have to do Social Media Distancing????

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.