Unable to locate noise

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
bmo
Motorcycle: GoldWing GL1500 SE 97 mod.

Unable to locate noise

Post by bmo »

GL1500 97 mod.
About 85,000 miles.
Lately I've been getting a rumbling sound that I think comes from the gearbox. In neutral, there is no noise. My experience is that the noise comes only when I drive.
The sound comes in all gears, occurring between 1500 and up to about 4000 rpm. The sound increases with increasing speed. Rpm over this I feel that the sound is reduced. If I reduce the throttle a little, the sound is also reduced. When I enable clutch the sound disappears.
I do not feel vibrations when this occurs. Have tried to put the bike on the main support, started the engine, put in gear, increased speed, applied the foot brake and listened with a stethoscope. But I don't get the same noise. Cold or hot engine doesn't seem to matter, either.

Any tips...

BMO

Know everything about nothing, but nothing about everything .....

thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Re: Unable to locate noise

Post by thebruce »

Off the cuff I would hope for it to be your wheel bearings... or pretty much anything else in the driveline. If the noise is from inside the gearbox the solution will likely be quite hurtful.

My bike makes a rumbling sound in neutral with the clutch engaged. It sounds like a skateboard riding on asphalt. It goes away when the lever is depressed and the clutch stops spinning.

By what you have described this is not your problem, but would this be a good description of the noise?
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.

bmo

Post by bmo »

Wheel bearings are replaced on both wheels. Dynamo has new dampers and got new bearings last week. New oil on final drive and engine / gear. Timing belts and tight wheels have been replaced. In neutral, I do not get the sound, even though I am speeding the engine. The noise is strongest during acceleration, for example in uphill.

BMO

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Sounds to me like universal joint. The bearings in the universal joint do fail over time. Symptoms are a low-frequency noise that you can feel/hear only when accelerating, or when decelerating hard. The more load on the driveline, the more you feel/hear it. Often you can feel it in the footpegs. There's a better description of the symptoms (and a how-to on replacement) here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30309

bmo

Post by bmo »

Must test this out. Have listened to the drive line with a stethoscope without detecting any noise, but that is while the bike is on the main support, with no load on the drive lane. Also discovered a hole in the bellows of the u-joint, which is not good.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

bmo wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:09 pm
Must test this out. Have listened to the drive line with a stethoscope without detecting any noise, but that is while the bike is on the main support, with no load on the drive lane. Also discovered a hole in the bellows of the u-joint, which is not good.
That's a good indication that moisture has gotten in there and the u-joint is on its way out. When my U-joint started getting noisy, I found a hole in the bellows as well when I went to change it.

bmo

Post by bmo »

Haven't been able to drive that much lately, rainy weather. Likes dry roads best ...
But the miles I have driven I have tried to test out the U-joint without being able to locate noise or vibrations to it. But when I go to 3 - 4000 rpm I feel weak vibrations in the footrests on both sides, but possibly somewhat stronger on the right side. Made me a powerful electromagnet so I led into the bellows to look for metal shavings, nothing found ..

Still looking .....