GL1500 ECM, Alternators and Batteries

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
pocketchange
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

GL1500 ECM, Alternators and Batteries

Post by pocketchange »

This thought crossed my mind. :idea: In lieu of all of the ongoing alternator issues.

I used to think that upgrading a battery from a OEM battery
to a improved design battery was a good move.
Then... I remember a service bulletin referencing the idea and the (sometime) problem
it created. Seems that the ECM in certain later model cars, owners were reporting problems
with upgrading to a NON-OEM (advanced design) battery.

My memory is way past foggy on this, since, I was dealing with Honda's decades ago.
(Ex Service Writer)

Anyone had something like this cross your path. pc

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1500 ECM, Alternators and Batteries

Post by WingAdmin »

pocketchange wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:35 am
This thought crossed my mind. :idea: In lieu of all of the ongoing alternator issues.

I used to think that upgrading a battery from a OEM battery
to a improved design battery was a good move.
Then... I remember a service bulletin referencing the idea and the (sometime) problem
it created. Seems that the ECM in certain later model cars, owners were reporting problems
with upgrading to a NON-OEM (advanced design) battery.

My memory is way past foggy on this, since, I was dealing with Honda's decades ago.
(Ex Service Writer)

Anyone had something like this cross your path. pc
I don't know what the problem is they were referring to, but you'll find no such problem with the GL1500. With the GL1500, the more power, the better - it is a very power-hungry beast. Modern AGM batteries work extremely well in it.

wezx
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Re: GL1500 ECM, Alternators and Batteries

Post by wezx »

I have the standard AGM in my Goldwing with no problems, but several years ago I switched my V-Twin chopper to a LiFePO4 battery and it has been great. Yes, expensive...but it spins my 107ci motor incredibly well and starts the bike instantly. Very light and small...feels like an empty plastic box! My son’s Suzuki Intruder (was previously mine) was always kind of a hard-starting bike, even though it would crank incredibly strong. On a whim, we bought an LiFePO4 for it and I’ll be darned if all the hard-starting problems just disappeared. Starts instantly even after sitting. When I replace my Goldwing battery I think I’ll opt for another LiFePO4.