99 GL1500SE Electical Issue

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
johnlm
Motorcycle: 1999 HONDA Goldwing GL1500SE, 1984 HONDA VF1100 V65 Magna

99 GL1500SE Electical Issue

Post by johnlm »

I hope we have some real electrical gurus in here. I am having a problem with my 99 GL1500SE. Periodically, the #8 fuse will blow. I replace the fuse and everything may be fine for a month or two, then it will do it again. While doing some other work on the bike, I decided to convert all of the lights on the bike to LEDs. All the lights work fine except, when I put in the LED relay for the turn signals (so they flash at normal speed as opposed to fast) an odd situation occurs. One of the two blinkers will stay on. The one that the switch was set to last. For example, if I hit the left blinker, the left blinker will stay on. If I hit the right blinker, the right blinker will stay on. It will not cancel either one. When I put the original relay back in, the turn signals work fine, except they blink fast. What I'm thinking is that there is a short to ground somewhere that is causing the #8 fuse to periodically blow and that makes the LED relay stay on instead of canceling. I can't find the short anywhere. The #8 fuse is for

8 Tail 15Amp Accessory lights, Instrument panel gauges, Instrument panel indicators, Meter Cornering lights, Headlight relays, License plate light, Position lights, Position Side marker lights, Taillights. I also checked all the fuses and swapped the relays, so I'm pretty sure it's not any of them. I sure hope someone here can give me an idea as to what's going on or at least somewhere to start. Thanks in advance.

THE BRAVE MIGHT NOT LIVE FOREVER, BUT THE CAUTIOUS NEVER LIVE AT ALL
“Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool.”
Plato

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Re: 99 GL1500SE Electical Issue

Post by Elmobile »

First of all, I am not an electrical gurus...
I am not sure about that fuse #8 is related to the turn signal one.
From your description I would say that the LED relay is incompatible with the self cancelling unit.
Which LED relay is it and where did you get it? Did you get 2 ie one for the hazard light as well?
When you try to cancel the turn signal, how do you do it? Just pressing on the "lever" only trigger the self cancelling unit. Have you try to gently push the turn signal lever back to center instead.
My self cancelling unit was not always working so no turn signal at all with no warning on my bike... I got fed up and decided to bypass it. BUT I have to bring the switch back to center manually. Not the most ergonomic way of doing it especially with gloves, but I am use to it now!
Hope this help.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: 99 GL1500SE Electical Issue

Post by Fiberthree »

I hate to bear bad news but you might need those load resistors.
What "LED Flasher" were you talking about? Is it the same as the universal type you can pick up at automotive stores? The Honda flashers for turn and hazard are identical and are useable if you add the resistors. The turn signal input wire is gray and you can find it in the 22 pin connector (BLUE on the SE and WHITE on the ASPY) under the seat on the left side. The hazard input is in the same connector and that wire is pink with a white tracer. If you add the resistors you can pick up the circuit from this connector and have a good place to sink the heat they generate by attaching them to the frame. Then use the Honda flashers.

This a one of the flash patterns I have for my hazard lights

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

My turn signals also have a distinctive pattern to get the attention of the cars around me.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.