Tulsa tall is too tall...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Tulsa tall is too tall...

Post by blupupher »

So my bike came with a Tulsa tall windshield, and I don't like it.
It is just way too tall (I have never liked looking through the windscreen, I like looking over it) and comes back too far, I constantly hit my head on it getting on and off the bike.
My bars also hit on it still even though I have lowered the bars as far as I can.

My eventual plan is to get a Windbender but it is a little pricey since I just got the bike.
I was going to cut the Tulsa Tall to a better height and maybe trim where the bars hit as well, but was wondering if there is any market for a used Tulsa Tall?
I don't want to destroy it (from being a Tulsa Tall) if there is value out there for it, but if no value/market for it, I will cut it.

1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Tulsa tall is too tall...

Post by CrystalPistol »

I was given a Tulsa Tall with vent once after the owner replaced it with a different one I tried it. I then used a band saw to trim away what was un-needed, kept just the vent hole and about an inch around it to use as a template to install the Honda OEM GL1800 vent in my F4 (heat formed from Lexan MR-10). Worked great. I just found that they slope back so much that if cut down, they don't deflect the blast over you, they feed it to you and I did not like looking at that edge inches in front of me face. To me, even a OEM is better. I love the F4 though. To each his own.
Attachments

Last edited by CrystalPistol on Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Post by bigsteveswing »

+1 to everything you said. I will be watching this, I have all the same issues and same questions about my Tulsa Tall... Would like to get a new windshield, probably a standard height Memphis Shade, but not in the $ cards right now.
If I could sell the Tulsa I don't want to wreck it either.
Big Steve
Keep America Strong: Weld It
8-)

blupupher

Post by blupupher »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:53 pm
... I just found that they slope back so much that if cut down, they don't deflect the blast over you, they feed it to you ...
I did not think about that, I can see how that could be an issue now that you mention it.
Right now in the 100°F temps that is not really a bad thing, but in a few months it would make it chilly for sure, and may make long rides more tiring.
The last windshield I cut was a national cycle on my VT1100 and I had no issues with it, but it was more upright. I could look over it easily and the wind just hit the top of my helmet (allowing air into the top vent of the helmet).
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have had 3 Tulsa tall windscreens.
I suffered badly because of the heat overload, not even Baker Wings will pull enough air to cool me off.

so, I bought a Madstad and love it....
raise it, lower it, tilt back, tilt it forward.

for you, there are 4 different tints available.

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... eld/332249
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

blupupher

Post by blupupher »

Madstad looks very similar to the Windbender, a 2 piece windshield that allows air to flow both under and over the shield.
The Madstad starts @ $270, the Windbender @ $330.
Will look into that when the time comes for sure.

Just need to figure out if I want to cut the current one while saving up for it.

1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE