Stiff fork after hitting a road bump..

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Arcweld80
Motorcycle: GL 1500 1988

Stiff fork after hitting a road bump..

Post by Arcweld80 »

I hit a road bump att low speed and after that the front end feels "stiff"...i can feel every bump in the road now...I have loosen the forks and retightened them again... and the wheel is still round.. is there any valve that can stick when you have a hard hit to the forks??

Regards from sweden.

Wing--Man
Motorcycle: Its-A-Wing--Man

Re: Stiff fork after hitting a road bump..

Post by Wing--Man »

Have you tried flushing the front right brake?
It is good we have dreams, for if they were real, most would not be alive.
Smile for yourself next time you wake up, you have another fine day to live.

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

I would make sure that your anti dive system is not locked engaged. That would keep your forks from working the way they should.

Wing--Man
Motorcycle: Its-A-Wing--Man

Post by Wing--Man »

Elmobile wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:12 pm
I would make sure that your anti dive system is not locked engaged. That would keep your forks from working the way they should.
How does one unlock that? I have never opened up that system and online pictures are vague.
It is good we have dreams, for if they were real, most would not be alive.
Smile for yourself next time you wake up, you have another fine day to live.

Arcweld80

Post by Arcweld80 »

The front wheel spinns just fine when i jack the bike up so the brakes are not "on". I have removed the calipers and when i put a screwdriver into the screwhole to the Antidive Valve it "clicks" when you bend it. So i think they works!! I have removed the dustcaps on the fork and put some grease on the tubes and so the slides a little better. BUT the bike is a 88 so i dont know if the fork oil ever was changed... i have no air valve in mine.

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

To my recollection from when I rebuilt mine, there should be no "click" when you move the arm where the brake caliper is attached. It should be a very smooth sliding feeling.
If you don't know when the oil was changed you may want to consider a complete rebuilt. My 1990 had about 170K kms. One side was leaking and the bushings were gone both side... At the bottom of the forks tube there a "tar residue" instead of fluid :shock: . I also rebuilt the anti dive piston while I was at it. Nothing much to it.

Arcweld80

Post by Arcweld80 »

I did a full clean and rebuild of the forks with new bushings/seals and 10 w oil. Changed the O-rings in the ADV. The old oil was like tar..and smelled so bad.. must have been there since 1988..... It was like a new bike after that and the bouncing was gone!!!