MICE ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

MICE ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY

Post by guitarzan »

Can someone help me out here please. This spring I cleaned my bags and trunk. My wife said that she had read an article about peppermint oil keeping mice away. Linda my wife purchased some papermint oil and we placed a metal container and put some cotton that was soaked in peppermint oil and I was off on my way, Happy and mice free. I opened my trunk today and found that those darn critters had somehow gotten into my trunk and made a nest with of all things the PEPPERMINT SOAKED COTTON and some other mouse building materials. You'll notice the empty metal container on one side of the trunk and the nest on the other side. The trunk seems to be sealed tight, I looked everywhere and I can't find a point of entry. Does anyone have any idea of how the heck Those critters are getting in? I put mice poison all over the garage and I still have nice. Thank you in advance for any help.

Frank
Attachments

USMC Purple Heart Combat Veteran MOS 0331 Machine Gunner Vietnam 70-71
Best site ever is right here.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: MICE ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY

Post by C-dub »

My first two thoughts are to get a couple cats that you will allow access to the garage or your wife is having a little fun messing with you.

Since you are unable to determine how the little rodents are getting in there I might be leaning towards the latter. Do you see any of their dropping in the area as further evidence of their presence?

Another idea might be to surround the bike with some of that super sticky rodent paper after parking it and see what you can catch trying to gain access to it. Or you could put something like this in your trunk to catch them.
https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Mouse-6-P ... lp_pl_dp_1
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

guitarzan

Post by guitarzan »

Hi there C-dub,
When I opened the trunk I just stood there processing what I was looking at and then I yelled Son of a B**** !!
I'm going to take your advice and put glue traps in the trunk and give it a look see every day. I went to YouTube and seen where you take a 5 gallon bucket and put enough water in the bucket to drown the mice. The key is to use a ramp that the mice can walk up the ramp to try to eat peanut butter that is set up with a can with a wire such as a coat hanger wire going through the center of the can so it will spin when a mouse jumps off the ramp onto the can smeared with the peanut butter and fall into the water.

I'm pro law enforcement all the way.
Thanks again

Frank

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Lift up the floor matting, look at access holes, look at the light bulb access holes too. Cheap old fashion mouse traps baited with thick Jiffy peanut butter gobs. Catch mice, toss trap & mouse.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

guitarzan wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:14 pm
Hi there C-dub,
When I opened the trunk I just stood there processing what I was looking at and then I yelled Son of a B**** !!
I'm going to take your advice and put glue traps in the trunk and give it a look see every day. I went to YouTube and seen where you take a 5 gallon bucket and put enough water in the bucket to drown the mice. The key is to use a ramp that the mice can walk up the ramp to try to eat peanut butter that is set up with a can with a wire such as a coat hanger wire going through the center of the can so it will spin when a mouse jumps off the ramp onto the can smeared with the peanut butter and fall into the water.

Thanks again

Frank
I've seen those bucket traps before and thought they were really cool. Wife won't let me try that.

We have cats. Lots of feral cats in the neighborhood. Haven't seen a mouse or rat in years. My wife and her mom, who lives next door, feed them and when they can catch them get them spayed and neutered. Just can't catch all of them. We've also seen a slight decrease in the squirrel population. Some of the more brazen territorial males go after the squirrels.

BTW, it seems you've noticed my avatar, but did you see my signature line? I recently changed my avatar after getting that from Mike's wife.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

I've heard Mr. Mouse doesn't like Mothballs. Might try some of those and see if the meeces stay away.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub »

DenverWinger wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:23 pm
I've heard Mr. Mouse doesn't like Mothballs. Might try some of those and see if the meeces stay away.
I've heard that too, but then the bike will smell so lovely! :lol:

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

DenverWinger wrote:
that is what I use, plus Irish Pine soap bars shaved up thin and scattered under the fuel tank cover, plus mothballs there too.

I throw a whole package around under the bike. several more packages around the garage to encourage them to leave.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

guitarzan

Post by guitarzan »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:00 pm
Lift up the floor matting, look at access holes, look at the light bulb access holes too. Cheap old fashion mouse traps baited with thick Jiffy peanut butter gobs. Catch mice, toss trap & mouse.
I didn't think about the matting and I'll check around bulb access holes too.

Thank you
AZgl1800 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:23 am
DenverWinger wrote:
that is what I use, plus Irish Pine soap bars shaved up thin and scattered under the fuel tank cover, plus mothballs there too.

I throw a whole package around under the bike. several more packages around the garage to encourage them to leave.
Hey mothballs is a good idea.
Thank you

guitarzan

Post by guitarzan »

C-dub wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:06 pm
guitarzan wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:14 pm
Hi there C-dub,

Thanks again

Frank
I've seen those bucket traps before and thought they were really cool. Wife won't let me try that.

We have cats. Lots of feral cats in the neighborhood. Haven't seen a mouse or rat in years. My wife and her mom, who lives next door, feed them and when they can catch them get them spayed and neutered. Just can't catch all of them. We've also seen a slight decrease in the squirrel population. Some of the more brazen territorial males go after the squirrels.

BTW, it seems you've noticed my avatar, but did you see my signature line? I recently changed my avatar after getting that from Mike's wife.
We had squirrels climbing trees and eating holes in the eaves and the squirrel population was growing and here to find out the neighbor behind me was trapping squirrels in the forest preserves and bringing them back to his house and releasing them in his yard, he liked feeding them. So I'm shooting them and my neighbor is bringing more in. Squirrels are nothing but rats with fussy tails.
I remember that shooting and a lot more shootings. I did some policing back in the 70's. I cringe when I hear of another fallen police officer and it's happening way to many times these day's.

fcanary
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Interstate
1991 1500 Interstate

Post by fcanary »

I work in the propane industry. We service all kinds of LP equipment including pool heaters. Mice love the comfy confines of pool heaters and I have seen nests that will fill a paper grocery bag. The little critters feast on the wiring and insulation. Not to mention all the little buggers pee and poop all over the place clogging burners and pilots. The manufacturers suggest tossing a handful of mothballs at the end of the season. Me personally, I can’t stand the smell of mothballs, so it’s not something I would use. However, every heater I have come across that has used mothballs with has no sign of mice or drastically reduced evidence. What I have been told is spearmint leaves works well. I think you can buy small bags (probably on amazon) and try that. I think it’s worth a try and far less of an objectionable smell and less likely to leave an crappy odor. Good luck.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Peppermint Oil works, but expensive

the soap I mentioned is "Irish Spring"

Mothballs is the cheapest, the dollar stores have them
we buy 10 packs or more every fall
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:41 am
Peppermint Oil works, but expensive

the soap I mentioned is "Irish Spring"

Mothballs is the cheapest, the dollar stores have them
we buy 10 packs or more every fall
He said he used some peppermint oil in his trunk and the mice loved it! So I guess his mice are different than the Okie mice. I like the idea of a mouse trap. Those little critters don't escape it.

Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500
1983 GW Interstate (ready to repair)
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

I WISH I had mice.

The problem around here is black widow spiders making their homes under the Tupperware.

I have come home from a morning ride, and gone back out at lunchtime and there are webs from the bike to the concrete. I can flood a bunch of spray up under the plastic, and for a few days there's nothing, but the next generation comes along. I have to wear leather gloves when I pull the Tupperware, and more than once I've seen a big fat black belly ducking into the darkness.

guitarzan

Post by guitarzan »

OMG,
I hate spiders and I've hated them from the time I was 5 years old, I'm 69 years old now. Goes to show ya that if you think you've got it bad, someone comes along and has it really bad. My hat goes off to you Solo So Long.

Frank

tigi
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL1500 with a CSC trike kit

Post by tigi »

Try fabric softener sheets that you throw in the clothes dryer.

autonoob
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by autonoob »

Have you tried to use peppermints?

guitarzan

Post by guitarzan »

Hi,
I'll give the dryer sheets a try for sure. I haven't used peppermints but did try cotton
Soaked in peppermint oil and the mice took the soaked cotton out of the metal container and made a nest out of it.

Thank you
Frank

wallyos
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE
2017 S1000R

Post by wallyos »

I had a mouse build a large nest on top of my airfilter on my GL1500. It also chewed the insulation off my GPS wiring. I tried fabric softener sheets that I had read about. For a test, I put a moustrap on a fabric softener sheet. Next day had a dead mouse. So much for that idea.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings »

Hi - frank - saw your post there Fella - Have a little gander at these gems -

6x Ultrasonic UK Plug Pest Repeller Night Light Mouse Mice Rat Spider Insects CW

Features:
* Material: ABS
* Frequency of sound wave: 5000 - 9000Hz
* Operating power: 0.01W
* Repel the mosquitoes using the newest technology of "Sound-wave".
* Not harmful to human, animal or environmental pollution.
*Can take outdoor while camping / jogging / fishing / hiking and picnic.
Package included:
1X Sonic Mosquito Repeller

Sold on ebay frank - eBay item number:373090855397

Hope this helps - EKK - EKK - !!! - LOL -
Attachments

ptilford
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 ABS

Post by ptilford »

I have also found mice evidence and "mess" inside my main trunk box. (2008 GW) But I have never found any evidence when I leave the trunk open while in the garage. In my part of the country pack rats can build a large nest under a car/truck hood and wreak havoc to several parts of wiring and plastic, but, not when the hood is left open!
After a hunting expedition I located some small holes inside the bottom of the trunk where you lift out the cover where I keep my owner's manual, I think it can also house a CD. Plugging those holes helped but not 100% effective. Next I found gaps in the main "opening" pull handle, bottom/aft/rear, for the trunk. Using some foam pipe wrap material, I cut a section and forced into into the opening thus disallowing the use of critter highway. It worked! You would need to place this "plug" under the pull handle and pull it out to use said handle and it needs to be tight.
Warning: I still leave the trunk open and move large items so as to not leave a "shelter of darkness" for the lingering vermin. Good Luck on your mouse patrol!

Postscript: remember when baiting traps, use only enough bait to attract/whack but not any extra because now you are actually feeding them and encouraging increase in population! A very small dab of peanut butter is sufficient.

jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)

Post by jbaviera »

I found a nest on my engine block a week ago. Don't remember seeing anything when I changed my alternator back in March, or when I did it after last years Gathering in September. Praying the I find only minimal damage as I tear it apart more this weekend.
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!

capttwb
Motorcycle: 2018 Honda Goldwing GL1800b

Post by capttwb »

Clothes dryer sheets tucked into places the nice frequent will absolutely solve your problem. Mice used to love my covered Mazda Miata that l rarely drive, they did all kinds of damage. Some old guy told me about dryer sheets, l put them in the engine compartment, in the trunk and under the seats, l haven't seen a mouse turd in 3 years!

LONSTER73
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Durango Red Metallic
1988 GL1500 Phantom Gray (old ride)

Post by LONSTER73 »

Fortunately for me I don’t have a problem with mice in my Goldwing. We do have mice and chipmunks getting into our garage. I purchased spray bottles of Rodent Stopper and Squirrel Stopper from our local Menards store. I spray it in the areas around the garage door frame where the little critters could possibly get through and this spray works to keep them out. I use it around shrubs and house foundation to deter them from chewing up the landscaping as well. You might want to try spaying this on the floor around your Goldwing to keep mice away. Depending on your situation you may have to repeat the spraying 1-2 a month. It also has a pleasant smell, in my opinion.
Lonster73
Riding on a Wing and a Prayer

Bruce1957!
Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Post by Bruce1957! »

MOTHBALLS! SIMPLE AS THAT, WORKS EVERY TIME..