Is it safe to do an oil flush?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
jsthomps
Motorcycle: 1972 Kawaski H2

Is it safe to do an oil flush?

Post by jsthomps »

I recently purchased a valkyrie and performed an oil change. The oil that came out was quite grimy. It wasn't black but rather a Milky Brown. I thought that I would investigate the possibility of performing an oil flush since it seems pretty obvious the previous owner had not change the oil in quite some time. There are motorcycle oil flush products out there but I've heard many people say never to use oil flush on a motorcycle due to the possibility that it could harm the wet clutch. Should I flush or should I not flush that is the question? Any feedback and or advice would be greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Re: Is it safe to do an oil flush?

Post by aj1500 »

adding some seafoam to your oil then riding about 100 miles before the oil change will do a good job of cleaning everything out. I can't remember the exact ratio but I think it is about an OZ per QT
I would pay close attention to your oil for a while as milky indicates possible water contamination.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

aj1500 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:35 pm
adding some seafoam to your oil then riding about 100 miles before the oil change will do a good job of cleaning everything out. I can't remember the exact ratio but I think it is about an OZ per QT
I would pay close attention to your oil for a while as milky indicates possible water contamination.
dump in 4 oz of Sea Foam to the oil, then run it for 100 miles at least or a full tank of gas.

drain, new oil, new filter.
then repeat if the dip stick still seems dirty.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

IMO, only engine oil goes in an engine.
Do several short intervals and filter changes. Oil has cleaning abilities, just not as harsh as other chemicals.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Milky brown oil is a possible indication of coolant in the oil. Better keep an eye on it after your oil change.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Here's an indication of water in the engine case - GL1200, doesn't have to be much, but over the long term:

This is the alternator shaft bearing inside the engine, the final drive shaft bearing was the same - seized. There was always a squealing from the engine whenever it sat too long, went away after riding for a few miles. Could never find it. Happened before I got the bike some 4 1/2 years ago. The bike has been used continuously since I bought it, and it was sold to me as a running bike. Would never have found this if I wasn't rebuilding the engine. A major work period can tell you a lot about the lineage of your bike.

Water in the oil of a 1500 is not the best. Honda has engineered this engine to very fine tolerances to get the silky smooth operation that it is known for. Hope your oil clears up and all is well. Good luck.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

jsthomps wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:17 pm
I recently purchased a valkyrie and performed an oil change. The oil that came out was quite grimy. It wasn't black but rather a Milky Brown. I thought that I would investigate the possibility of performing an oil flush since it seems pretty obvious the previous owner had not change the oil in quite some time. There are motorcycle oil flush products out there but I've heard many people say never to use oil flush on a motorcycle due to the possibility that it could harm the wet clutch. Should I flush or should I not flush that is the question? Any feedback and or advice would be greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
I can't decipher if you mean the oil looks like oil but is just brown or if it looks like a very rich thick mocha coffee? I've used some oils that were near brown, even dark brown, straight out the can. If I were to use a oil flush product, I would NOT run the engine with it anyway. The 1500 carries it's oil in the bottom of the case under the transmission too and flushing that will take out most of any contaminates. I'd just put the flush in and let set and then drain. Then put proper oil in and a new clean even if cheap filter on it … and only when proper OIL is in it would I start it, the good new oil is all you want washing engine bearings, etc. Then I might run it a very short interval, maybe take a short ride around the block, then change it and the filter again. Then ride on. If I thought water was getting into the oil, I'd be closely monitoring coolant & my water pump weep hole and looking for signs of a head gasket like steam from the exhaust (not condensation).
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

jsthomps

Post by jsthomps »

Thanks all for responding. Forget the flush ... I have major coolant contamination in my oil. Change the oil, ran for 5 minutes ... chocolate milkshake. Research says oil pump or head gasket. Whatever the problem it's bad news

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

You mean water/coolant pump, right?

jsthomps

Post by jsthomps »

Elmobile wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:16 pm
You mean water/coolant pump, right?