Passenger floorboards for 1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
fcanary
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Interstate
1991 1500 Interstate

Passenger floorboards for 1500

Post by fcanary »

With the “new” bike came passenger pegs. The Precious Cargo would like boards like I installed on my 1200. She says they are much more comfortable. I have been on eBay and have seen several...which adds to my confusion. The general configuration is the same on all, however some have what looks to be a some sort of “accordion” like adjustment. Others have a chrome strip attached, my bike has what looks to be that same chrome piece, while most look to have two bolt holes to bolt them up. My questions are this. Are they all the same? Will all 88-00 be the same? What is that “accordion” looking thing? They all seem to be relatively priced the same, but I’d rather be sure the ones I purchase will fit the bike.
Thanks
Frank

skinl19
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Re: Passenger floorboards for 1500

Post by skinl19 »

I have a 98 SE which has the accordion type thing that allows the footrest to be raised or lowered. I'm not sure if you could directly swap SE passenger boards onto a non SE model. Kuryakyn makes an extension for the 1500 floor boards but they specifically state that it won't fit the SE model.

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Post by bigsteveswing »

My Interstate has adjustable floorboards but they are manual adjust with screws/bolts. Their are only three height positions, I believe they are Markland branded, not sure. I can take some pics later and post them.
Big Steve
Keep America Strong: Weld It
8-)

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

As you know, the Interstate model has Pegs.

The SE has the adjustable floor boards. That would require the addition of the adjustment lever and cabling.

The Aspencade came with stationary floor boards.

The frame of the Gold Wings are all the same and will accept the stationary floor boards as well as the adjustable floor boards. However, without the adjustment lever and cabling, the SE adjustable floor boards will always be in the raised position.

The Markland or Add On passenger floor board risers are chromed steel plates and mount in the standard floor board mounting holes and are primarily marketed toward the Aspencade and Interstate models with the Aspencade floor boards installed. Once the floor boards are mounted to the plates, the plates are bolted to the frame of the bike. They have three adjustment positions. This gives a bit of a leg up to the shorter passengers. There is one draw back to them that I see. In order to remove the side access panels, the floor board risers have to be removed, or loosened. That makes it difficult to get to the battery and fuse/relay panels.

For your Interstate, the simplest solution would be to mount the passenger floor boards from an Aspencade.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Post by bigsteveswing »

MikeB wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:45 am
There is one draw back to them that I see. In order to remove the side access panels, the floor board risers have to be removed, or loosened. That makes it difficult to get to the battery and fuse/relay panels.
I will second that, that is exactly the setup I have and when I need to get side panels off I have to loosen the screws. Bonus though is that the side panels should never blow off in the breeze and disappear. That happened to my brother last summer on his '94 SE and my boss on his '05 1800.

Big Steve
Keep America Strong: Weld It
8-)