Alternator?? Not again!!!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Alternator?? Not again!!!

Post by offcenter »

Two years ago I replaced the alternator in my '99 Wing with a high output unit from Lactrical.
On my vacation trip this week, with less than 20,000 miles on it, the damned alternator
went dead. There is oil around and in the alternator suggesting that the oil made it's way
past the shaft bearing seal.
Damn! That alternator should have lasted longer than than that...a LOT longer?
Can anyone suggest a different manufacturer for my next one?
Any other thoughts on the subject?

George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Alternator?? Not again!!!

Post by CrystalPistol »

Take it to a generator/motor repair shop & let them clean it good & put brushes & new shaft seal in. Likely OK.

I had a Comp-U-Fire suffer a leaking seal there, but oil never got to the brushes so it never hickupped, I just "found it".

If you replace it, I like the Comp-U-Fire, even had a spare sourced out of a wreck on Ebay that I slid into place, was gonna put a seal in my first one, bought seals, but sold the trike and just last week or two, sold the spare.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Post by XJSRider »

Trying to get access to another part, I removed my alternator... the main fat wire and the three bolts holding it in... pulled it away, noticed a large O ring around the circumference. When I pulled it out there was some juice in there, appeared to be motor oil. Do I have a problem?

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

XJSRider wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:55 am
Trying to get access to another part, I removed my alternator... the main fat wire and the three bolts holding it in... pulled it away, noticed a large O ring around the circumference. When I pulled it out there was some juice in there, appeared to be motor oil. Do I have a problem?
no,
there is nearly always a bit of oil seepage behind the alternator.
don't worry about it.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

offcenter
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:25 pm
Take it to a generator/motor repair shop & let them clean it good & put brushes & new shaft seal in. Likely OK.
I had a Comp-U-Fire suffer a leaking seal there, but oil never got to the brushes so it never hickupped, I just "found it".
If you replace it, I like the Comp-U-Fire, even had a spare sourced out of a wreck on Ebay that I slid into place, was gonna put a seal in my first one, bought seals, but sold the trike and just last week or two, sold the spare.
I have a good alternator repair place near here. I guess that will be my next stop.
But this is the third alternator in that bike.
The original owner installed a Compufire when he had it. I replaced the Compufire
with the Lactrical two years ago. That's three alternators in 100,000 miles.
I had several Toyota pickups where the original alternator was still in the truck when
I sold it with 200,000 miles on it.
Something ain't right here.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

offcenter wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:47 am
I have a good alternator repair place near here. I guess that will be my next stop.
But this is the third alternator in that bike.
The original owner installed a Compufire when he had it. I replaced the Compufire
with the Lactrical two years ago. That's three alternators in 100,000 miles.
I had several Toyota pickups where the original alternator was still in the truck when
I sold it with 200,000 miles on it.
Something ain't right here.
Well, them Toyota Pickup truck don't have a front seal because they don't bolt up to a oil bath cavity, they hang by mounts with cooling air only to contend with. That GL1500 has the alternator in a closed in space hooked directly to a running 1500cc engine and a cavity with drive connection vanes with oil swirling around.

I'm thinking the seal on the shaft, not the big O-ring, has let some oil seep into the alternator and it's migrated back to the commutator & brushes is all, but there could be a component failure.

My Trike came to me with a Comp-U-Fire, it too died on a ride in 2005, took it to a shop, was a failed solder joint in the rotor windings
, likely after I hit a water puddle that day that splashed really big on that ride, (I figure water "shocked" the solder joint on the then hot rotor). An "off the shelf" new rotor from Delphi was in stock, I just had him put that in. Have you still got the Comp-U-Fire, if so, I'd have it checked & see where that lead me, it is a better unit IMHO. Parts (brushes, bearings, internal regulator, rotor, etc) are same as Delphi CS121 … & even CS130 … alternators. It is just a CS121 with a different end frame, the seal, and drive vane adapter. You can get one at a parts store and swap just those parts even, fit a '99 Saturn among others. Front shaft seal is a Chicago Rawhide # 9878 … crosses to National # 47122. The o'ring would be the same as a stock Honda alternator. Good luck.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

offcenter
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

Excellent info, Crystal!
Thanks!!

George in Jersey.