Frustrating day in the garage

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Frustrating day in the garage

Post by XJSRider »

Installed front wheel bearings today and the spacer was super tight! Too tight! Oh no!

I had gone out and gotten a socket just for this job, was using the open side of the socket against outer race of bearing and knocking it down with 5lb mini sledge. Socket fit well.

I used all balls kit 25-1077 which should be fine for my 93 but I noticed there is another part number 41-6264.

I ended up taking them out and ordering a new set.

Someone on wingadmin's bearing thread had same problem and had questioned bearing size. The ones I had were sealed but flush on edge so shouldn't protrude past their stops to overtighten on the spacer anyway. Puzzled now need to wait for parts to try again hopefully I ordered the right kit.

Is there a trick for putting in the spacer? I know there can't be. I greased it up and just dropped it in and tapped it with my finger, figured it was good.

I had to whack the socket on the bearing pretty hard to get it to go in. It was not like a little tappa tappa tap...

The only good thing about this is that I am very good at removing bearings now after front and back and front again.

thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Re: Frustrating day in the garage

Post by thebruce »

Not sure what spacer you are talking about.

Between the bearings or outside?

I used 25-1077 on my '91 a couple months ago and everything fit ok.
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Spacer in between the bearings the metal tube. Normally you can wiggle it around a little but mine was totally locked.
I actually read the directions from all balls they say to fully seat one bearing and then tap the other until it just comes to the spacer but that doesn't seem right to me I would think you drive them both to their stops and it should be good

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

thanks for confirming the part number

thebruce

Post by thebruce »

I don't recall the order I put the bearings in my wheel, but the all balls instructions were at least partly true.

I don't have my service manual with me, but usually there is a bearing (left or right) you pound in to the stop, place the spacer in, and pound the other bearing in until contact.

If you jam the 2nd one in until the stop, unless the wheel machining tolerances are PERFECT, you will wind up placing a lot of sideload on the balls/races and possibly force the 1st bearing back out a bit.

If you have already knocked the new bearings out of the wheel, they are pooched from removal and will require replacement.

The spacer is usually a little wiggly when you take the wheel off as it had had time to find its sweet spot... I seem to recall them being a bit tight going in because of the small amount of sideload from installing.

thebruce

Post by thebruce »

FYI I just checked my '95 service manual says drive the right side in first, then the left.

I doubt there is 1/8" of spare room in there so if you put the left in 1st it would probably be OK. Insert standard legal disclaimer....

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

If you drive the two bearings by their outer races into the hub to the stops, if that spacer is just a hair longer than the space between those stops, then you are going to create unending side load on the races & balls. You want the spacer to just touch the inner races, no excess clearance. Do it right, do it once. The axle will pull the inner races tight against the spacer.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Do it right, do it once.
Too late to do it once, at least I can still do it right.

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

Check step #42 in the "How-to replace the front wheels bearings". It is very clear as to what to do and more importantly NOT to do. One bearing is driven all the way, the next one until it barely makes contact with the spacer... Very classic way to mount bearings for this kind of application.
Good luck with it.
Cheers

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Elmobile wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:20 pm
Check step #42 in the "How-to replace the front wheels bearings". It is very clear as to what to do and more importantly NOT to do. One bearing is driven all the way, the next one until it barely makes contact with the spacer... Very classic way to mount bearings for this kind of application.
Good luck with it.
Cheers
Yup, here it is:
42. Seat the right side bearing - note that it goes in quite a bit further than the left side, so make sure it has stopped moving before you decide it's done. Don't pound it in as hard as you can get it! You want the spacer in the wheel hub to be able to rotate freely. If the spacer is binding up when you turn it, you have pounded in the bearing too far. This is a problem: by doing so, you are side loading the bearings, which will cause early failure. On the other hand, you don't want the spacer to rattle around - if this is the case, the bearing isn't in far enough. Seat it gently, checking the movement of the spacer frequently.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

I'm sorry and not trying to be a wise guy, but when all else fails, read the direction- or in this case check the D.I.Y. section here.

XJSRider

Post by XJSRider »

Minimac- I had the DIY page open on my garage computer and also a workshop manual. Sometimes I'm just a chump, what can I say. It was the end of the day and I was rushing a bit... never a good idea.

The new bearings came today and I got them in no problems.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

I'm glad to see you stuck with it and all's well.